Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dog ownership linked to longer life.

spartan max2

Dog owners can take heart from new research about the possible health benefits of having a dog. According to two new studies by the American Heart Association, owning a dog is associated with an increased likelihood of living longer, especially among people who've previously had a heart attack or stroke. The findings are published in Circulation: Cardiovascular Quality and Outcomes, a journal of the American Heart Association.

In a study of dog-owning and non-dog owning survivors of heart attacks or strokes, researchers determined that dog owners across the board experienced lower rates of death from heart attacks or strokes. The study was conducted in Sweden between 2001 and 2012 using the country's National Patient Register. 

Dog owners in the study tended to have a "better outcome after a major cardiovascular event," the researchers found, although the study did not prove cause and effect. The reason could be due to an increase in physical activity and decrease in depression and loneliness among dog owners, which previous studies have confirmed.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/dog-ownership-linked-to-longer-life-after-heart-attack-and-stroke-american-heart-association-studies-find/

• Like 4

We can extend that to pets in general. :)

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Scholar4Truth said:

I do not think so. Unless you take your budgy or goldfish for a walk.

I believe it has a lot to do with the physical activity like going for regular walks.

The reason could be due to an increase in physical activity and decrease in depression and loneliness among dog owners, which previous studies have confirmed.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/dog-ownership-linked-to-longer-life-after-heart-attack-and-stroke-american-heart-association-studies-find/

• Like 3

2 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

I got the kids a dog last year and all it did was stress me out.  I ended up being one of "those people" who ended up giving it away (to a good owner of course and someone we know).  

We're a cat family. 

I can't stand the smell of dogs.  I spoke to my neighbour and she has a little miniature poodle and it doesn't smell and it doesn't drop fur everywhere either.  Maybe that would be ok because I can't stand mess and I can't stand dogs that eat their poop.  That was the worst part of having a puppy.  Trying to teach toilet training to it and it was a Beagle.  I don't think I could've gotten a worse breed.  The cat disowned us because the dog would race for it everytime it saw it.  The poor cat found the dog so offensive, he spent most of his time on the roof and stalked about the place like there was some wild animal on the loose about to eat it.  

Yes, that dog had to go.  It totally did my head in.  

Next time, if there is ever a next time, I'm going to do a stack of research on dogs that don't smell and are toilet trained.  Perhaps a rescue is a better idea than getting a puppy.  I totally blame myself for that entire exercise in getting a dog.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, freetoroam said:

I do not think so. Unless you take your budgy or goldfish for a walk.

I believe it has a lot to do with the physical activity like going for regular walks.

Probably.

I wouldn't underestimate the mental and physiological effects of companionship thought during recovery, especially for someone who is alone.

We are social creatures at heart. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Scholar4Truth said:

Mayyybe... I've always thought some cats would be capable of pushing me down the stairs :w00t:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Probably.

I wouldn't underestimate the mental and physiological effects of companionship thought during recovery, especially for someone who is alone.

We are social creatures at heart. 

My vet has a sign in the front yard that says "Dogs are the only thing that loves us more than themselves"  I believe it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gwynbleidd said:

Next time, if there is ever a next time, I'm going to do a stack of research on dogs that don't smell and are toilet trained

I got the bot for you... 

[00.03:31]

:yes:

~

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2