Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The terrifying creatures of sleep paralysis

UM-Bot

I find it interesting that the hallucinations have commonalities, even with people who have never heard of sleep paralysis or the old hag syndrome, or the top hat man experience these.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I find it interesting that the hallucinations have commonalities, even with people who have never heard of sleep paralysis or the old hag syndrome, or the top hat man experience these.

Those ideas exist within culture, it's memetic. 

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 6

So terrifying imaginary creatures..

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Those ideas exist within culture, it's memetic. 

And as a species, our brain have a common basic wiring...

• Like 7

In my expectations with sleep paralysis, instead of something in the room with me, I thought someone was at my front door. But I couldn't get up and see who it was. Very disturbing. However, I was able to realize I was experiencing sleep paralysis (since I've read about it before hand) and wasn't scared. Rather not go through it again though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The only thing I ever saw during sleep paralysis was a fist-sized, insect-like creature made out of bubbles and crab's legs crawling across my chest. I'm quite unnerved by most insects during my waking life, it probably influenced that.

Edited by Orphalesion
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

This does raise questions like were these creatures created in and existing in an astral collective consciousness realm culturally and universally shared? I suspect that might be the case. Hat man might be a good example of that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Talion78 said:

Why has it got to be a creepy old hag. Can't I be pinned down by a gorgeous babe????

That would be a succubus encounter. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

That would be a succubus encounter. 

As long as the words "creepy" "old" and "hag" are not relevant i'm cool.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Talion78 said:

As long as the words "creepy" "old" and "hag" are not relevant i'm cool.

Some people go for that.:lol:

• Haha 1

There's many theories/different interpretations about painting (it may not necessarily deal w sleep paralysis)  One, the artist had relationship/marriage proposal at time that went bad.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bed of chaos said:

There's many theories/different interpretations about painting (it may not necessarily deal w sleep paralysis)  One, the artist had relationship/marriage proposal at time that went bad.

Huh? 

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

Huh? 

Maybe they are talking about that classic painting with the little demon/Night Alp crouching on a sleeping woman and there's a oddly excited looking horse close by for no apparent reason?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

Maybe they are talking about that classic painting with the little demon/Night Alp crouching on a sleeping woman and there's a oddly excited looking horse close by for no apparent reason?

That made me think about  the possessed horse in Berzerk, lol

2 hours ago, Talion78 said:

Why has it got to be a creepy old hag. Can't I be pinned down by a gorgeous babe????

Can you say succubus? The glamour they supposedly cast over their victims wouldnt dissipate until the victim climaxed. I know, not so different than real life. :P

These sleep issue related areas is what people like Blackmore and Persinger study, the ideas of ghosts, alien abductions etc starts and ends in the persons mind, it's not cool to blind true believers because it cant be in there it has to be autonomous out there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jon the frog said:

That made me think about  the possessed horse in Berzerk, lol

Well, I googled that. I suppose I didn't have to sleep for the next month or so...

1 hour ago, Aquila King said:

I've never had sleep paralysis, but I have had the opposite problem on occasion: sleep walking.

I've never sleep walked. My sleep paralysis sometimes bleeds over into my dreams, does sleep walking influence dreams as well, like do you dream about walking or stuff?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

does sleep walking influence dreams as well, like do you dream about walking or stuff?

You aren't even aware when you're doing it dude. Usually the only way you know is if you wake up in a weird place, catch it on video, or someone tells you about it. Thankfully I've never been woken up in the middle of it though. :lol:

EDIT: Though to answer you're question more directly, any dreams I might have while sleep walking are just normal dreams I would have while lying in bed. Nothing unique.

Edited by Aquila King
  • Like 1

I've had several episodes of sleep paralysis. I have never actually seen a person or creature. I rather can see huge shining eyes right on the edge of my peripheral vision. I am totally paralyzed and the only thing that I could move was my eyes. My breath was squeezed out of me. I was terrified and sure that whatever the eyes were, it was something that was going to rip me and my wife to pieces. I try to scream and can't. I want to at least turn my head to look directly at it but couldn't. 

Basically I am reliving the terror of a small primate that is frozen in fear as I watch the eye that I am SURE is a leopard or something similar coming towards me to eat me. I suspect that the reason this is such a common thing may be that it is in some way a genetic ancestral memory from our past when the only protection that small animals have is to freeze and watch the eyes of the predator. You can walk right up into touching distance on a small rabbit or a deer fawn as long as you don't look directly at them. When you do they will unfreeze and take off. People are aware of this and that is where expressions "The eye of the Tiger" come from. You don't want to look right at a gorilla. They will attack you if you do. Zoo keepers that work with gorillas wear glasses that have eyes that are turned to the side to prevent this.The EYES...When they turn to you everything changes.     

The only weird encounter I've had with anything similar, is been completely asleep but being able to hear perfectly everything going on around me, but not being able to wake.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Joe Rogers said:

In my expectations with sleep paralysis, instead of something in the room with me, I thought someone was at my front door. But I couldn't get up and see who it was. Very disturbing. However, I was able to realize I was experiencing sleep paralysis (since I've read about it before hand) and wasn't scared. Rather not go through it again though.

I too have had only one experience of sleep paralysis and have absolutely no desire to experience it again.

For me it was two black masses of indeterminate shape. One on the bed next to me and pressing down on my chest somehow - with its 'hands'?, and another 'stood' at the bottom of the bed.  Like you, I knew what I was experiencing as had read about it, but it made it no less terrifying while it was happening.