Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The terrifying creatures of sleep paralysis

UM-Bot

There isn't one true reality. reality is a concept based on personal perception, not existence and non existence. We used our intelligence and personal perception to be able to create the concept of reality so we can claim existence and non existence. 

That's an over simplification, but it's all explained here. 

*snip*

Edited by Saru
Please always source offsite content and avoid reproducing large amounts of text.

14 minutes ago, It's Just An Opinion said:

So does every persons' reality. 

you hostile? Not to me so far but I'm used to blind true believers being hostile towards me, by asking for proof they dont have, they should care what i think but some do, not saying you are a bftb. Extrodarnary claims require extrodarnary proof or any proof

A"personal" reality many times is nothing more than make believe, like a kid with an imaginary friend, to that child its real, but it only exists within that child's mind, some people do that all their lives, be it friends, ghosts, demons, or Elvis, it's in their minds not "out here" wherever "out here" is, if a person cant show me its of no interest to me,

John keel wrote of beings out here, not of This world, he called his work non fiction but for me until proven its fiction, long winded cut and paste philosophy opinions are not proof and just explain someone's viewpoint, but can derail not having any proof of claims.

I dont haunt the philosophy boards, I'm very surface on it, if you say you are abducted by aliens, if you say you have special powers, or see ghosts, show me prove it, it might mean the world to you but to me it's just stories.

My food for thought might make your head nauseous.

We are subjectively experiencing objective reality. Our inner reality is a reflection of our subjective experience. Which creates our perspective or how we view things. Which is why our imagination can "bleed" over. 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, the13bats said:

John keel wrote of beings out here, not of This world, he called his work non fiction but for me until proven its fiction, long winded cut and paste philosophy opinions are not proof and just explain someone's viewpoint, but can derail not having any proof of claims.

Never heard of the guy, anyways. Anyways speaking of proof, can you explain to me why you exist?

10 minutes ago, the13bats said:

I dont haunt the philosophy boards, I'm very surface on it, if you say you are abducted by aliens, if you say you have special powers, or see ghosts, show me prove it, it might mean the world to you but to me it's just stories.

I don't haunt philosophy boards either, I don't like reading other's philosophy out of fear i might plagiarize something or try to avoid it if i were close to discovering it myself. That was all made completely by myself, and no I've never claimed to be abducted or anything. 

16 minutes ago, the13bats said:

A"personal" reality many times is nothing more than make believe, like a kid with an imaginary friend, to that child its real, but it only exists within that child's mind, some people do that all their lives, be it friends, ghosts, demons, or Elvis, it's in their minds not "out here" wherever "out here" is, if a person cant show me its of no interest to me,

There is no "out here" there is no reality. you aren't all perceiving things the way that they actually "exist" you are all just experiencing your perceptions. 

16 minutes ago, the13bats said:

by asking for proof they dont have, they should care what i think but some do, not saying you are a bftb. Extrodarnary claims require extrodarnary proof or any proof

https://diaspora.flidais.net/tags/the_concept_of_reality

These aren't just philosophical "opinions" they are fact,I don't know if you understood what I said, but i just explained why the 5 senses don't prove reality, and why multiple people perceiving it a certain way doesn't either. 

Now I'm asking you, what is "reality" to you?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, It's Just An Opinion said:

Never heard of the guy, anyways. Anyways speaking of proof, can you explain to me why you exist?

I don't haunt philosophy boards either, I don't like reading other's philosophy out of fear i might plagiarize something or try to avoid it if i were close to discovering it myself. That was all made completely by myself, and no I've never claimed to be abducted or anything. 

There is no "out here" there is no reality. you aren't all perceiving things the way that they actually "exist" you are all just experiencing your perceptions. 

https://diaspora.flidais.net/tags/the_concept_of_reality

These aren't just philosophical "opinions" they are fact,I don't know if you understood what I said, but i just explained why the 5 senses don't prove reality, and why multiple people perceiving it a certain way doesn't either. 

Now I'm asking you, what is "reality" to you?

Sorry, you have the wrong person and missed my point,

I get it you are very driven by ego, that's fine.

If a person wants to make outlandish extrodarnary claims thats super, if they want me to respect their beliefs i respects thats what they believe, however, if a person wants me to believe their stories then show me the proof,

I'm sure other here would love to go back and forth with you, not me, smoke and mirrors doesnt interest me.

22 minutes ago, the13bats said:

I get it you are very driven by ego, that's fine.

If a person wants to make outlandish extrodarnary claims thats super, if they want me to respect their beliefs i respects thats what they believe, however, if a person wants me to believe their stories then show me the proof,

I'm sure other here would love to go back and forth with you, not me, smoke and mirrors doesnt interest me.

Reality is just a feedback loop. In other words our senses take in external information, and create a mental model. Our beliefs act as filters, so person A catches something out of the corner of their eye, thinks it's a person. Person B thinks it's a ghost.

It's not difficult to understand. People like to over-complicate it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Reality is just a feedback loop. In other words our senses take in external information, and create a mental model. Our beliefs act as filters, so person A catches something out of the corner of their eye, thinks it's a person. Person B thinks it's a ghost.

I get most of that, and person C caught something out the cornor of their eye and it was the start of an optical migrain....

This is the one subject that confuses me with skeptics. For all the demanding of proof, and evidence, on this subject, when it comes to these "hallucinations" you have none. Science has not figured this out at all. Cant answer even the most basic questions, and ignores the heavy stuff altogether.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, the13bats said:

You too missed my points a few times there, either-way; 

what is "reality" to you?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

no

Edited by Saru
Please always source offsite content and avoid reproducing large amounts of text.
  • Haha 1

In romania this experience is viewed as, dammit I had too much drink last night, again!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

This is the one subject that confuses me with skeptics. For all the demanding of proof, and evidence, on this subject, when it comes to these "hallucinations" you have none. Science has not figured this out at all. Cant answer even the most basic questions, and ignores the heavy stuff altogether.

While i am labled as a "skeptic" i do not "demand" anything and go into any of this open and respectful, most times no matter how the believer treats me i will continue having my respect for their "belief" that's not to say i will share that belief nor do i blindly believe every story at fact value,

For some believers their beliefs are not enough they need validation or acceptance thats where the rub comes in, I can't believe some outlandish stories blindly, I need that evidence, that proof, so i ask for it and we know there is none available yet i have deep respect for those who accept that, some of these people know that I dont believe their story but respect they do and we are good,

Its just that small little group of believers who just can't stand it that a skeptic doesnt blindly believe, for those i have to just move on.

Of course many things have no proof and i have my own folder of unsolved mysteries, but that's it they are unsolved, not a jump to anything else.

Just now, the13bats said:

While i am labled as a "skeptic" i do not "demand" anything and go into any of this open and respectful, most times no matter how the believer treats me i will continue having my respect for their "belief" that's not to say i will share that belief nor do i blindly believe every story at fact value,

For some believers their beliefs are not enough they need validation or acceptance thats where the rub comes in, I can't believe some outlandish stories blindly, I need that evidence, that proof, so i ask for it and we know there is none available yet i have deep respect for those who accept that, some of these people know that I dont believe their story but respect they do and we are good,

Its just that small little group of believers who just can't stand it that a skeptic doesnt blindly believe, for those i have to just move on.

Of course many things have no proof and i have my own folder of unsolved mysteries, but that's it they are unsolved, not a jump to anything else.

That’s good to hear. You are one of a very few. Really I shouldn’t have said skeptics at all, but believers. 

I am a true skeptic when it comes to this subject. After reading all I could find on it , and after having some wild experiences I have concluded that I just don’t know. Like really don’t know. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just as an example, and i posted this a while back, to me sleep paralysis and perceived out of body experiences go hand in hand, if you have the right information. 

One night while “traveling” back to my bedroom, I stopped and noticed a cop car at this little gas station just down the road. I have driven past this car all week, so it was no surprise to me that I knew it was there. I actually thought of the folks here, and flew down to the car. I memorized the plate number. Said it to myself over and over again. 

Then I flew back to my body (so to speak) jumped out of bed, and in just my underwear jumped in my car and drove to the cop car. I’ll be damned I had the number right. 

At first I thought, well that’s proof, at least for me. Then I considered though, I had driven by the car so many times that week, that maybe my subconscious picked up and stored a memory of the plate number. 

Like I said I truly just don’t know. 

Edited by preacherman76
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

That’s good to hear. You are one of a very few. Really I shouldn’t have said skeptics at all, but believers. 

I am a true skeptic when it comes to this subject. After reading all I could find on it , and after having some wild experiences I have concluded that I just don’t know. Like really don’t know. 

It works both ways, I played with it a fair amount in the early mid 90s, I never had any experence i would call epic,

My dad who died at 89 in 2014 in the last 5 years he found one of streibers abduction books and to my step mothers distaste really liked it, i got him another and some work by persinger, While he never came out and discussed it i believe my dad had some pretty bad "sleep" disorders that he wanted to find a key to,

While in the lab vs in nature is very different as far as I'm concerned, persinger and his God helmet has replicated some pretty wild stuff,

On the other end  Roland Loomis, known professionally as Fakir Musafar a modern primitive talked of when in what i called self mutilation he called "body play" he would perform sundance okipa mandan suspension by hooks through the skin and talk of leaving his body, seeing his body "over there" and dark beings who were interested in people who sought enlightenment though such means,

Oddly that sounded similar to john keels theories.

I fully believe these experences and like in your cop car dream i would believe at some point your mind grabbed the license number then used it in the dream, but that's real, in your mind but real, no proof needed.

When people talk of beings i understand why some think they must be autonomous and otherworldly not of them, they might be but i believe they are of the subjects mind, it doesnt make them less real or cool, just a different concept, and the most fun is neither can prove the other wrong, hence why I keep respect flowing.

• Like 1

I had sleep paralysis, and its starts with a witch, then an alien, then some sort of scary looking fiend.

Because during them nights, I go to sleep, then half awake (sleep paralysis) then back to sleep, 3 time during them nights.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Just as an example, and i posted this a while back, to me sleep paralysis and perceived out of body experiences go hand in hand, if you have the right information. 

One night while “traveling” back to my bedroom, I stopped and noticed a cop car at this little gas station just down the road. I have driven past this car all week, so it was no surprise to me that I knew it was there. I actually thought of the folks here, and flew down to the car. I memorized the plate number. Said it to myself over and over again. 

Then I flew back to my body (so to speak) jumped out of bed, and in just my underwear jumped in my car and drove to the cop car. I’ll be damned I had the number right. 

At first I thought, well that’s proof, at least for me. Then I considered though, I had driven by the car so many times that week, that maybe my subconscious picked up and stored a memory of the plate number. 

Like I said I truly just don’t know. 

This right here is a prime example of claims. Saying yes it is, when "I am not sure" is the better answer.:tu:

Granted it was probably your subconscious. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, the13bats said:

It works both ways, I played with it a fair amount in the early mid 90s, I never had any experence i would call epic,

My dad who died at 89 in 2014 in the last 5 years he found one of streibers abduction books and to my step mothers distaste really liked it, i got him another and some work by persinger, While he never came out and discussed it i believe my dad had some pretty bad "sleep" disorders that he wanted to find a key to,

While in the lab vs in nature is very different as far as I'm concerned, persinger and his God helmet has replicated some pretty wild stuff,

On the other end  Roland Loomis, known professionally as Fakir Musafar a modern primitive talked of when in what i called self mutilation he called "body play" he would perform sundance okipa mandan suspension by hooks through the skin and talk of leaving his body, seeing his body "over there" and dark beings who were interested in people who sought enlightenment though such means,

Oddly that sounded similar to john keels theories.

I fully believe these experences and like in your cop car dream i would believe at some point your mind grabbed the license number then used it in the dream, but that's real, in your mind but real, no proof needed.

When people talk of beings i understand why some think they must be autonomous and otherworldly not of them, they might be but i believe they are of the subjects mind, it doesnt make them less real or cool, just a different concept, and the most fun is neither can prove the other wrong, hence why I keep respect flowing.

Yeah we are pretty much on the same page here. I’m grateful I’m able to hold both perspectives. Many people I see who have had similar experiences to mine are unable. They think it’s absolutely real, and a part of me can’t blame them. 

One of the first comments in this thread said something to the effect of making fun of people for believing, or being afraid of imaginary things. Well that’s easy enough to say. Till you have experienced one of these terrifying mmm things, whatever they are, you can’t understand. 

This topic fascinates me to no end. 

9 minutes ago, MissJatti said:

I had sleep paralysis, and its starts with a witch, then an alien, then some sort of scary looking fiend.

Because during them nights, I go to sleep, then half awake (sleep paralysis) then back to sleep, 3 time during them nights.

Can you still experience this if you wanted to? Wanna try something really cool if so?

4 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Can you still experience this if you wanted to? Wanna try something really cool if so?

How can I experience something now, when that's meant to random?

And if you could then no, its to terrifying. Even experiencing 1 sleep paralysis is too frightening. 

2 minutes ago, MissJatti said:

How can I experience something now, when that's meant to random?

And if you could then no, its to terrifying. Even experiencing 1 sleep paralysis is too frightening. 

I understand. 

Thats certainly true, especially a persons first SP experience. I couldn’t believe I didn’t soil myself that first time. I did sweat so much I couldn’t continue to lay where I was after it was over. 

I get that you are not interested, but for those who suffer SP, please know it doesn’t have to be such a horrible experience. With just a little information it can be really cool. 

19 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Yeah we are pretty much on the same page here. I’m grateful I’m able to hold both perspectives. Many people I see who have had similar experiences to mine are unable. They think it’s absolutely real, and a part of me can’t blame them. 

One of the first comments in this thread said something to the effect of making fun of people for believing, or being afraid of imaginary things. Well that’s easy enough to say. Till you have experienced one of these terrifying mmm things, whatever they are, you can’t understand

This topic fascinates me to no end. 

Im tired gotta rack out after this but i hope i didnt make that remark,

I've never had full on sleep paralysis but i have had issues like the pink Floyd song, i didnt feel as asleep as i likely really was i thought was trying to get to sleep and my hands did feel just like 2 balloons, and felt like they were getting huge i would startle awake and normal, it happened several times,

And in the last 4 years ive had minor but rather bad i guess what they call "night terrors" wake up really messed up, I can see why some would call it aliens, or demons or whatever, but my mind is a terrible thing to taste 8 out of 10 zombies agree.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Im tired gotta rack out after this but i hope i didnt make that remark,

I've never had full on sleep paralysis but i have had issues like the pink Floyd song, i didnt feel as asleep as i likely really was i thought was trying to get to sleep and my hands did feel just like 2 balloons, and felt like they were getting huge i would startle awake and normal, it happened several times,

And in the last 4 years ive had minor but rather bad i guess what they call "night terrors" wake up really messed up, I can see why some would call it aliens, or demons or whatever, but my mind is a terrible thing to taste 8 out of 10 zombies agree.

No it wasn't you bro.

Wow, yeah sounds like you were close. That's definitely in the area of altered state.

Get some sleep my friend. When you get a chance, maybe you could go into more detail regarding these night terrors. I'm curious.  

• Like 1