Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The terrifying creatures of sleep paralysis

UM-Bot

19 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Huh? 

Was referring to painting (not u). If click on op's link, the painting (titled 'the nightmare') is at top of screen.

Edited by Bed of chaos

Just now, Bed of chaos said:

Was referring to painting (not u). If click on op's link, the painting (the painting titled 'the nightmare' is at top of screen.

I know the painting and it's just a painting. 

13 hours ago, Aquila King said:

You aren't even aware when you're doing it dude. Usually the only way you know is if you wake up in a weird place, catch it on video, or someone tells you about it. Thankfully I've never been woken up in the middle of it though. :lol:

EDIT: Though to answer you're question more directly, any dreams I might have while sleep walking are just normal dreams I would have while lying in bed. Nothing unique.

I definitely think events (in waking life) influence sleep walking. Once (when younger) while sleepwalking I tried to explain joke to different family members (heard joke earlier in day at school). The (fragmented) joke didn't get warm reception. My brother thought I was obviously messing w him and violently slammed me against wall (still didn't wake up). Anyway (unless I read ur comment incorrectly) If u can recall events/experiences EVERY single time u sleepwalk, that sounds unique.

Edited by Bed of chaos

6 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

No it wasn't you bro.

Wow, yeah sounds like you were close. That's definitely in the area of altered state.

Get some sleep my friend. When you get a chance, maybe you could go into more detail regarding these night terrors. I'm curious.  

I didnt want to derail the topic but seems "night terrors" fit in,

They are a bit hard to put into words real intense fear and panic, what specifics are you interested in might be a easier way to go at it,

In my case there is a lot of question just how asleep i really am vs what i think i am as its hitting its zenith.

I fully grasp why some would insist this is not of their mind.

5 hours ago, Bed of chaos said:

Anyway (unless I read ur comment incorrectly) If u can recall events/experiences EVERY single time u sleepwalk, that sounds unique.

No, I didn't say that. I was simply saying I'm not consciously aware of any difference between dreams when I normally sleep vs dreams when sleepwalking. Don't know if that's normal for sleep walkers, but that's what it's like for me.

13 hours ago, the13bats said:

I didnt want to derail the topic but seems "night terrors" fit in,

They are a bit hard to put into words real intense fear and panic, what specifics are you interested in might be a easier way to go at it,

In my case there is a lot of question just how asleep i really am vs what i think i am as its hitting its zenith.

I fully grasp why some would insist this is not of their mind.

Well the reason I asked about it was cause I always thought that night terrors were just really bad nightmares. But I watched this show not long ago where this women was describing her night terrors, and it looked just like sleep paralysis episodes.  

I was wondering if they fall under the same category. 

1 hour ago, preacherman76 said:

Well the reason I asked about it was cause I always thought that night terrors were just really bad nightmares. But I watched this show not long ago where this women was describing her night terrors, and it looked just like sleep paralysis episodes.  

I was wondering if they fall under the same category. 

I believe all this sleep dream stuff gets stuck together and mixed around

I was basically of that same mindset especially before i had what i called night terrors and I have no idea if what i had is that, but these were far worse than my normal bad nightmares,

I wasnt paralyzed, except perhaps from fear for a few moments trying to come out of it if i really tried to put it into words, let's say something like most people know what it feels like to whack their finger with a hammer, so lets say you dreamed you hit your finger with a hammer but the experence and pain is 100s time worse, but at the same time artificial or imagined in a way,

Thats what these dreams are like but no real plot no real source or trigger, like the weird surreal parts of like silent hill or hellraisers if anything just a vauge sense of generic fear and terror, but 100s of times greater than i ever experenced awake and alert or dreamed before, In fact normal nightmares do not bother me, I most times know its a dream,

Keep in mind too im 55 now and from my 20 on had all kinds of craptastic drdp, panic OCD, etc, I know panic this was very different, I felt like perhaps Data would have felt when given his emotion chip,

I've had this 3 or 4 times in about 2 years and they do get fuzzy and hard to recall quickly,

I fully grasp why some people would sincerely believe it had to be aliens, ghosts a demon or whatever, I dont understand it but do believe it was in my mind, my brain, had i also had a paralysis with it then it would have gone to the level i could see it possibly causing a stroke or heart attack in the right person, it's just that intense.

The last one i had tina woke me, said i was freaking out pretty hard, she has a PhD in applied psychology and does teach some of this type stuff in her classes.

• Like 2

So all the attempts to dismiss shadow entities are put down to sleep paralysis.

But that doesnt explain away when your shadow entity is also seen by the person with you.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

But that doesnt explain away when your shadow entity is also seen by the person with you.

I've never seen more that stories anecdotal that witnesses all see "entities" at the same time,  saying your buddy saw it too is a hearsay story perhaps great proof for you not for me.... people see what they want to see, can make mistakes, be open to suggestion, etc.

Edited by the13bats

20 minutes ago, the13bats said:

I've never seen more that stories anecdotal that witnesses all see "entities" at the same time,  saying your buddy saw it too is a hearsay story perhaps great proof for you not for me.... people see what they want to see, can make mistakes, be open to suggestion, etc.

If you have never had the experience then you arent qualified to have an opinion on what shadow entities are. That isn't meant to be rude, it is fact. Its like someone who never has deja-vu trying to comment on it. And no, zapping the brain with an electric current to mimic the feeling of having done something before is not the same thing as having the experience.

As for more than one person experiencing a shadow entity then I dont know how you missed those reports. They are everywhere so I suspect that is your own bias - aka wilful blindness. Both me and my sister saw one (3 foot high robed shadow entity) attempt to mask itself over the image of the news reporter on the television. It gave over some seriously evil vibes. 

My exact experience:

I was wide awake about 8pm in the evening watching the television. I slipped into a strange trance for a split second out of no where and when I snapped myself out and looked up I saw the entity trying to mask itself over the form of the news reporter over the television screen. My sister was looking at it, turned to me, and was freaked out by it. And we ended up both putting it down as the house being haunted.

After about 10 experiences of something getting up off the end of my bed in the middle of the night, the experience described above, and being slapped around the face several times by it, I reached my own conclusion what was going on. A conclusion that isn't sleep paralysis (I dont suffer from that, and many of my experiences have been in the middle of the day).

My conclusion is that in my mind the thing collectively grouped together as `the I` takes on the form of an entity `being me`. The aspects of the mind that are collected grouped together as `the not I` or that side of me which is rejected or called `the shadow` takes on the form of an entity too. It wants my attention, it wants the I to acknowledge it and listen to it. So it puts in appearances to get my attention. And as a very real entity other people can see it too.

And yes, it has caused poltergeist activity in my house too with bangs and crashes and things falling off shelves, etc.

7 hours ago, the13bats said:

I believe all this sleep dream stuff gets stuck together and mixed around

I was basically of that same mindset especially before i had what i called night terrors and I have no idea if what i had is that, but these were far worse than my normal bad nightmares,

I wasnt paralyzed, except perhaps from fear for a few moments trying to come out of it if i really tried to put it into words, let's say something like most people know what it feels like to whack their finger with a hammer, so lets say you dreamed you hit your finger with a hammer but the experence and pain is 100s time worse, but at the same time artificial or imagined in a way,

Thats what these dreams are like but no real plot no real source or trigger, like the weird surreal parts of like silent hill or hellraisers if anything just a vauge sense of generic fear and terror, but 100s of times greater than i ever experenced awake and alert or dreamed before, In fact normal nightmares do not bother me, I most times know its a dream,

Keep in mind too im 55 now and from my 20 on had all kinds of craptastic drdp, panic OCD, etc, I know panic this was very different, I felt like perhaps Data would have felt when given his emotion chip,

I've had this 3 or 4 times in about 2 years and they do get fuzzy and hard to recall quickly,

I fully grasp why some people would sincerely believe it had to be aliens, ghosts a demon or whatever, I dont understand it but do believe it was in my mind, my brain, had i also had a paralysis with it then it would have gone to the level i could see it possibly causing a stroke or heart attack in the right person, it's just that intense.

The last one i had tina woke me, said i was freaking out pretty hard, she has a PhD in applied psychology and does teach some of this type stuff in her classes.

Wow, so this happens while you are completely asleep? Not in a like half waking state? 

6 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

Agreed. Not that I have experienced this personally, but a member here, one of the few I feel I have built a trusting relationship with described a similar experience where both she and her boyfriend saw a shadow creature. 

She had a couple experiences with said shadow, and not long after her boyfriend mentioned how he had seen it, without her ever having told him about it. 

6 hours ago, the13bats said:

This is true, and what I’m about to tell you also won’t be proof to you, but I swear it’s the truth. 

Ive only had a small handful of SP episodes. The first one I ever had, I had never heard about any of this stuff before. I didn’t know what sleep paralysis or shadow creatures even were. It was completely foreign to me. 

I wake up one early summer morning. Take a few seconds to open my eyes. The sun was beaming through the window, so the room was well lit. 

I finally decide to get up, and when I lifted my head, I could see clear as day at the end of my bed this black cloud like looking thing. It was swirling around like a tornado. Thing was I wasn’t even paralyzed. I was able to pull the covers over my head.

Anyhow, the whole experience for me after it was over was very confusing. So I looked up black cloud demons, or something like that. I was literally shocked to find out how many people had at one time or another seen the exact same thing. 

14 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

This is true, and what I’m about to tell you also won’t be proof to you, but I swear it’s the truth. 

Ive only had a small handful of SP episodes. The first one I ever had, I had never heard about any of this stuff before. I didn’t know what sleep paralysis or shadow creatures even were. It was completely foreign to me. 

I wake up one early summer morning. Take a few seconds to open my eyes. The sun was beaming through the window, so the room was well lit. 

I finally decide to get up, and when I lifted my head, I could see clear as day at the end of my bed this black cloud like looking thing. It was swirling around like a tornado. Thing was I wasn’t even paralyzed. I was able to pull the covers over my head.

Anyhow, the whole experience for me after it was over was very confusing. So I looked up black cloud demons, or something like that. I was literally shocked to find out how many people had at one time or another seen the exact same thing. 

I have about 10 experiences of coming around in the morning to feel something getting up off the end of my bed like it had been sat there watching me sleep. In once experience I heard a female voice saying `is he really going to lie there and ignore that` which freaked me out.

I have woken in the night looking at the ceiling and seen a shadow move across it (my room is partly lit by an outside street lamp). I have had shadows moving across the living room during the day and evening when I have been in there.

I had a dream camping up in the Alps in Switzerland during the middle of the winter. Someone came into my tent and kicked me in the head. I got immediately awoken with the sensation of being kicked in the head for real in bed. 

I have been having a bath and been slapped across the face, I have been slapped in the pub and been grabbed by the arm in the pub by something I cannot see. I have had the 3 foot high cloaked shadow figure put in visual appearances while I was alone and while other people have been about who have seen it too.

I have seen objects in my kitchen moving in impossible gravity defying ways. I have had my whole bed move and shunt about. And things falling off shelves banging and crashing.

Edited by RabidMongoose
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

I have about 10 experiences of coming around in the morning to feel something getting up off the end of my bed like it had been sat there watching me sleep. In once experience I heard a female voice saying `is he really going to lie there and ignore that` which freaked me out.

I have woken in the night looking at the ceiling and seen a shadow move across it (my room is partly lit by and outside street lamp). I have had shadows moving across the living room during the day and evening when I have been in there.

I had a dream camping up in the Alps in Switzerland during the middle of the winter. Someone came into my tent and kicked me in the head. I got immediately awoken with the sensation of being kicked in the head for real in bed. 

I have been having a bath and been slapped across the face, I have been slapped in the pub and been grabbed by the arm in the pub by something I cannot see. I have had the 3 foot high cloaked shadow figure put in visual appearances while I was alone and while other people have been about who have seen it too.

I have seen objects in my kitchen moving in impossible gravity defying ways. I have had my whole bed move and shunt about. And things falling off shelves banging and crashing.

Wow, that’s crazy. Were these experiences recent? 

Being they have happened in places other then your home, do you think you personally may be haunted?  

I had a haunting experience in my childhood home that started when a cousin of mine moved in with me. I was 18 at the time. 

I never actually saw any entity, but OMG the noises. It all came to a head over one week. It started every night as soon as I laid down to go to bed. Like as soon as I laid down, long before any half sleep experience could explain it. 

First night I heard what sounded like someone slowly walking up my hallway just outside my room. Also heard some light tapping. It was so faint that first night that I was able to blow it off and went to sleep. 

Well every night it just worse and worse. Where by the 7th night it sounded like several people were running up and down the hall banging their fists on the wall. I could also hear what sounded like several people all whispering at the same time. In the middle of it, I could also hear what sounded like a women just start laughing for like 3 seconds. 

That last night, it was so bad that I took like 15 minutes to slowly and as quietly as I could get off my bed and grab this little baseball bat. It took that long cause it was a noisy bed. I sat back down on the bed hoping it would stop, but it just kept going, like it was taunting me to come out. 

I finally jumped up, slammed open my door, and ran through the house turning on lights as fast as I could, getting ready to pound the first person I saw. 

Nothing was there. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Wow, that’s crazy. Were these experiences recent? 

Being they have happened in places other then your home, do you think you personally may be haunted?  

I had a haunting experience in my childhood home that started when a cousin of mine moved in with me. I was 18 at the time. 

I never actually saw any entity, but OMG the noises. It all came to a head over one week. It started every night as soon as I laid down to go to bed. Like as soon as I laid down, long before any half sleep experience could explain it. 

First night I heard what sounded like someone slowly walking up my hallway just outside my room. Also heard some light tapping. It was so faint that first night that I was able to blow it off and went to sleep. 

Well every night it just worse and worse. Where by the 7th night it sounded like several people were running up and down the hall banging their fists on the wall. I could also hear what sounded like several people all whispering at the same time. In the middle of it, I could also hear what sounded like a women just start laughing for like 3 seconds. 

That last night, it was so bad that I took like 15 minutes to slowly and as quietly as I could get off my bed and grab this little baseball bat. It took that long cause it was a noisy bed. I sat back down on the bed hoping it would stop, but it just kept going, like it was taunting me to come out. 

I finally jumped up, slammed open my door, and ran through the house turning on lights as fast as I could, getting ready to pound the first person I saw. 

Nothing was there. 

Mine have been happening since 2012.

I also have the tapping on doors and headboards, and scratching of fingernails along them. Its annoying. I think something is trying to get attention and reactions out of me.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I don't believe a single one of these claims.

That’s fine. I probably wouldn’t either if nothing like it ever happened to me. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

Mine have been happening since 2012.

I also have the tapping on doors and headboards, and scratching of fingernails along them. Its annoying. I think something is trying to get attention and reactions out of me.

Let me ask ya something. Ya ever heard anything like what sounds like a plastic grocery bag rustling?  

That was the first strange sound I heard, a few months before that week I described. Again I had just laid down, and heard the rustling sound, like really loud, almost violent. 

I thought it was my cat at first under my bed playing with a plastic bag. After a couple minutes I got up and turned my light on. There was nothing on my floor at all. 

I had never heard anything like it from other stories till one day a few months back someone made a thread describing the same thing. It was good to have confirmation. 

Edited by preacherman76

9 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

That’s fine. I probably wouldn’t either if nothing like it ever happened to me. 

I've had stuff happen. Nothing that would convince me something paranormal exist, it has become apparent that some people have a low threshold for 'proof'. They hear a voice in the whirling of a fan and claim it's a ghost. Sorry, it would take something extremely drastic to prove to me that something paranormal is real. I'm not talking about seeing something in the middle of the night, hearing a strange noise, random things turning off and on, no, it would have to be 'god level' to convince me. 

• Like 1

Just now, XenoFish said:

I've had stuff happen. Nothing that would convince me something paranormal exist, it has become apparent that some people have a low threshold for 'proof'. They hear a voice in the whirling of a fan and claim it's a ghost. Sorry, it would take something extremely drastic to prove to me that something paranormal is real. I'm not talking about seeing something in the middle of the night, hearing a strange noise, random things turning off and on, no, it would have to be 'god level' to convince me. 

I feel ya. Most of the things posted here I don’t put any stock into either. 

In fact the cousin I said that had moved in with me had told me my whole childhood that he felt he was personally haunted. I never believed a word he said, till well, you know. 

Literally hours before my first experience in that house, he told me that just the night before while he was about to fall asleep on my couch he heard what sounded like a gun go off right next to his head. That night the same thing happened to me. About 4 years later he committed suicide with a shot gun. That messed me up for years. 

5 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Most of the things posted here I don’t put any stock into either. 

Considering that these claims are anecdotal and personal (which means they are subject to memory editing) experiences which does not make the claim valid. People exaggerate things, and as time goes by the stories become bigger and more complicated. When someone comes in here with a story that starts with, "10 years ago" I don't buy it. And if there is any objective proof of these claims, why hasn't any solid factual evidence come to the light of day. All that's done are poorly performed studies and experiments. I've got my fair share of the spooks and specters, but I don't hold any of those events as proof. Because the brain is glitchy. It's like being under psychic attack and then forgetting about being under attack and the 'symptoms' instantly vanish. Belief plays a major role in this stuff. Some people see demons everywhere, because they want to see them. They read into mundane events and ascribe paranormal causation. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Considering that these claims are anecdotal and personal (which means they are subject to memory editing) experiences which does not make the claim valid. People exaggerate things, and as time goes by the stories become bigger and more complicated. When someone comes in here with a story that starts with, "10 years ago" I don't buy it. And if there is any objective proof of these claims, why hasn't any solid factual evidence come to the light of day. All that's done are poorly performed studies and experiments. I've got my fair share of the spooks and specters, but I don't hold any of those events as proof. Because the brain is glitchy. It's like being under psychic attack and then forgetting about being under attack and the 'symptoms' instantly vanish. Belief plays a major role in this stuff. Some people see demons everywhere, because they want to see them. They read into mundane events and ascribe paranormal causation. 

I don’t know man, I can’t really speak for anyone else. Like I said, I agree most things posted here are unreliable. Or at best can be explained without the need for anything paranormal. 

Really though while things can get bigger and badder in people minds over the years, from the studies that I’ve seen, that only happens like 25% of the time. 

As for myself and my story, i’m more then certain I remember it exactly the way it went. I’ve been telling it since the day after it happened. I’ve faced ridicule, even from people I’m close to over it since the day after it happened. 

I can certainly dig it though man. These stories do nothing for you, nor should they. I’ve only been able to get a very small handful of people to believe me, and those people I’ve directly known my whole life. 

We have never even seen each other’s faces. So I have no expectations on why you should believe me. Like I said, if this situation was reversed I probably wouldn’t believe you either had you said the same thing. 

Though I gotta say, I have looked forward to the day you tell some of your stories for a long time. :)

9 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Though I gotta say, I have looked forward to the day you tell some of your stories for a long time. :)

I've told a few. 

• Like 1