Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The terrifying creatures of sleep paralysis

UM-Bot

Just now, XenoFish said:

I've told a few. 

Yeah I remember a couple. Though it always seems there is more to tell. That was back when you were easily angered though, and things often went downhill quick. 

Really thinking about it. You are one of a few people here I’d have to deeply consider your stories to possibly be true. I take it back that I probably wouldn’t believe you. Truth is I probably would. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Yeah I remember a couple. Though it always seems there is more to tell. That was back when you were easily angered though, and things often went downhill quick. 

Really thinking about it. You are one of a few people here I’d have to deeply consider your stories to possibly be true. I take it back that I probably wouldn’t believe you. Truth is I probably would. 

A grain of salt and a pinch of pepper. I don't like talking about them. If I need to sure, but I'm not certain of there factual validity due to how long it's been. Not sure how much 'editing' I've done due to recounting an experience. 

• Like 2

Have I seen shadow figures, ghost, light forms, heard and felt things, had strange lucid dreams, yes. However, how much of that was a real experience and not purely belief driven? Don't know. I can't put a percent on it. I can't claim it was real. Not even the telekinetic things due to the high possibility of it being my imagination. This is why I am so critical of those, "this is a fact" type claims. Yeah, we've all had weird things happen. Jumping to "it's paranormal" should be the first thing we do. We should question and if all else fails just put it in the That Was Weird folder and move on.

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 2

Well I guess we all have to deal with situations from our own personal perspective. 

You probably don’t have any other choice then to see those things the way you do. Nor doesn’t anyone else. We are wired the way we are. 

3 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

We are wired the way we are.

We become wired. As a child we all had (hopefully) very vivid imaginations. Monsters were real, we were superheroes, etc. It was real when we wanted it to be real. Something gets screwed up as we get older. Like some desperate desire to hold on to our child like imagination. The monsters under our beds or in our closets became demons, our magical thinking took on a different form. Not just playful imagining. Our night terrors embody all that we fear. The inner darkness that hidden within our minds. This occasionally bleeds out into our perception of reality. Dark shadowy things. Waking nightmares. All driven by our fears and anxieties. That's the thing, we don't give our minds and imaginations enough credit, we externalize it. Project it onto abstract things. Build entire mythos around demonic things. You rarely hear anyone around here talk about facing their fears during those lucid semi-conscious states. 

• Like 3

when i had any kind of "sleep" issues i dont have a clue if i was in deep sleep, rem, near wake or where I was and with that not knowing, I can't reach a definitive conclusion from unknown  and unknown plays a big part is this,  and "this" for me starts and end in the brain not with autonomous demons, aliens or shadow beings etc,  I just don't jump to it must be paranormal.

As I said many times from my experences i do see why some people ones who whether they even know it or not they have a tendency to fantasy, to want things to be bigger more epic, not mundane, to jump to it must be paranormal, I get it,  paranormal is cool sleep disorders is boring, mental issue is insulting and mistaken, wrong, hoaxed etc are silly.

When these stories start with anything like "I was going to bed, just getting up, tired, stressed, laying there watching tv etc and the claim is only the persons story sure i can respect they make a jump it must be paranormal, they need to understand i have a lot of other more likey albeit prosiac explanations, paranormal isnt there, mine ends with "unknown" "weird" "unexplained" to be paranormal i need some evidence.

The idea of asking for proof even evidence is where it always gets dicey because no matter what some will take that and jump that you are calling them BSers making it up, get insulted and attack, they seem to demand their "stories" are taken at face value as fact by the listener,  so i fully understand when i get "it doesnt work like that" or "you haven't experenced it so you dont count" or listing flaws in me why they see this stuff and I ( or most ) dont, it still boils down to excuses for lack of proof.

More so to me If a person boasts of repeated and or witnessed experences then makes excuses why there is never research done, any efforts to gather evidence its not going to hold my interest that this is a case of any real merit for me, blustering and chest pounding how real it is and how dumb i am doesnt impress me, remember i believe its real to you, I respect to you its real/true but it's not to me, to me it's just your wild story.

Think about it like this for a moment, if i invite you in a room in my house its empty except a huge stack of money you get wide eyed ask how much I say millions and millions, you say great lets pay some bills feed some poor do some good with it have some fun buy a happy meal,  I say no, sorry, you can just look at it and only at certain times, no pics, it makes that pile of money worthless even ruins the room its in, that's pretty much how i see claims that cant be reproduced or proven or offer anything tangible especially claims of special powers, its useless, a cool experence for you thats all.

Once a person when asked to prove phychic powers read the full excuse 101 about me not being open to it or understanding how it works how it doesnt work that way on demand,  Okay fine, then the next statement the person details how the alleged phychic said allow me to demonstrate their special powers "on demand" and proceeded to do so and made a believer of them in a few minutes, but wait, you said it doesnt work like that.

I've been told im scared paranormal is real, really? Scared of something that hasn't been proven or effected me besides interest in the subject, I do like a good mystery, my ADD would love paranormal to be a part of daily life, it would spice things up, I'm waiting.

Then I get to the part where no matter how i try to word it someone takes it personal and gets cross with me, after 40 years of being interested in paranormal subjects doing all kinds of research i have never gotten any evidence much less proof paranormal isnt just a construct in a persons mind, like a make believe friend very real to that child, but in the believers mind.

I fully believe some people believe their experences are real and paranormal i respect its real to them, their stories do not make their experence real to me, we can agree to disagree but for some that doesn't float and when they want to insist they are right im wrong you bet i will stand firm on my opinions, if they get too nasty with me i will point out they have zip.

Not once have I heard stories that could not be explained by either saying the person was making it up, mistaken, hoxed, delusinal or had health or mental issues, or just unexplained, never has the jump to paranormal be warranted.

this never sits well but has to be considered. My optical migrains could be called all kinds of paranormal entities, any one who has had one knows what i mean, but they are not, years back a bad cold wasnt blamed on germs, bacteria or a virus but ghosts, demons and curses, and now we know better, people on an acid trip see stuff so real to them that some have committed suicide yet this was the result of chemicals in the brain, what they saw was a symptom.

I can babble boring on and on but it really boils down to those that want things to be paranormal so it is and those who need proof.

I respect you believe your experence is real and can only be paranormal you need not respect me back but understand your story is just a story to me, at least for now.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

Let me ask ya something. Ya ever heard anything like what sounds like a plastic grocery bag rustling?  

That was the first strange sound I heard, a few months before that week I described. Again I had just laid down, and heard the rustling sound, like really loud, almost violent. 

I thought it was my cat at first under my bed playing with a plastic bag. After a couple minutes I got up and turned my light on. There was nothing on my floor at all. 

I had never heard anything like it from other stories till one day a few months back someone made a thread describing the same thing. It was good to have confirmation. 

Nope, but if you have found that sound annoying in the past perhaps the entity was watching and is now copying to annoy you?

9 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

I feel ya. Most of the things posted here I don’t put any stock into either. 

In fact the cousin I said that had moved in with me had told me my whole childhood that he felt he was personally haunted. I never believed a word he said, till well, you know. 

Literally hours before my first experience in that house, he told me that just the night before while he was about to fall asleep on my couch he heard what sounded like a gun go off right next to his head. That night the same thing happened to me. About 4 years later he committed suicide with a shot gun. That messed me up for years. 

I have had the loud explosion sounds too.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Have I seen shadow figures, ghost, light forms, heard and felt things, had strange lucid dreams, yes. However, how much of that was a real experience and not purely belief driven? Don't know. I can't put a percent on it. I can't claim it was real. Not even the telekinetic things due to the high possibility of it being my imagination. This is why I am so critical of those, "this is a fact" type claims. Yeah, we've all had weird things happen. Jumping to "it's paranormal" should be the first thing we do. We should question and if all else fails just put it in the That Was Weird folder and move on.

You have seen shadow people and had telekinetic experiences? I get your stance, wanting definite proof its not in your head before you believe in the paranormal. Please share your shadow figure and ghost experiences though, along with the telekinesis. I would be interested in hearing what is the same compared to mine.

I have seen an object magically appear in front of me before. I have come across about 5 objects which were momentarily stuck in the situation of being more than one of their outcomes at once. I have seen objects, looked away, turned back to find they have gone without anywhere logically possible for them to go to like a car driving down a road without any turnoffs. When looking back at cars some have also changed their original colour.

Whenever I have a hypnic jerk waking up or falling asleep something falls off the wall, my bed shunts, or something falls off a shelf. The best way of explaining what is happening from my experience is I`m aware when the hypnic jerk happens that a shock wave emanates out from me. If I set something up to startle me (instead of the hypnic jerk) then when the loud noise happens to startle me awake I get the same effect. I have even had telephone calls before and have internally seen who was calling me.

There is something common to all of my experiences and that is they occur when I am stressed and anxious. Please share yours.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, XenoFish said:

We become wired. As a child we all had (hopefully) very vivid imaginations. Monsters were real, we were superheroes, etc. It was real when we wanted it to be real. Something gets screwed up as we get older. Like some desperate desire to hold on to our child like imagination. The monsters under our beds or in our closets became demons, our magical thinking took on a different form. Not just playful imagining. Our night terrors embody all that we fear. The inner darkness that hidden within our minds. This occasionally bleeds out into our perception of reality. Dark shadowy things. Waking nightmares. All driven by our fears and anxieties. That's the thing, we don't give our minds and imaginations enough credit, we externalize it. Project it onto abstract things. Build entire mythos around demonic things. You rarely hear anyone around here talk about facing their fears during those lucid semi-conscious states. 

I think this is where you and I took dramatically different paths in our younger years. From my early teen years, maybe even a little before that I too loved watching horror movies. Loved talking about the possibility of ghost and ufo's etc being real. Then around the age of 15-16 I began to put all that away. Up till then I had never had any type of experience. I had no reason to believe any of it was true. By the time I was 18 just before my haunting experience began, all that was the furthest thing from my mind. At that time I cared about girls, cars, hanging out with my friends, and where the party was going to be on the next Friday night. I literally spent zero time thinking about such things. So when all this began to happen It was a complete shock to me.

I have been told here many times That all this was my imagination cause I desperately wanted the paranormal to be true. That just wasn't so though, at least in my case. I have said many times here that before all this I wasn't a believer. That belief was forced upon me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RabidMongoose said:

Nope, but if you have found that sound annoying in the past perhaps the entity was watching and is now copying to annoy you?

Well interestingly enough, what I read about it said something to the effect that that noise is actually the sound of an entity crossing from where ever they come from into our world. Now I'm not saying I believe that. Not at all. But because I did hear exactly what they described, I did find it very interesting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, preacherman76 said:

I think this is where you and I took dramatically different paths in our younger years. From my early teen years, maybe even a little before that I too loved watching horror movies. Loved talking about the possibility of ghost and ufo's etc being real. Then around the age of 15-16 I began to put all that away. Up till then I had never had any type of experience. I had no reason to believe any of it was true. By the time I was 18 just before my haunting experience began, all that was the furthest thing from my mind. At that time I cared about girls, cars, hanging out with my friends, and where the party was going to be on the next Friday night. I literally spent zero time thinking about such things. So when all this began to happen It was a complete shock to me.

I have been told here many times That all this was my imagination cause I desperately wanted the paranormal to be true. That just wasn't so though, at least in my case. I have said many times here that before all this I wasn't a believer. That belief was forced upon me.

It was a casual interest in high school. I was to busy with school and my job. It only became a curiosity driven hobby after my grandfather's death in 98. I went out to the field behind my parents house, it was rather isolated. Had a "talk" with him. Basically I has a grief induced phantasm appear along the tree line. He waved and vanished. 

That event drove my curiosity with the occult. I wanted to know for a fact that such things were real. As time passed, I learned that if was either 100% psychological or 75% psychology with 20% being mundane and only 5% unknown. 

As it stands now, I am more curious as to the effect experiences have on people. Which is why I take a different approach, especially when it come to somebody having seen a lost loved one. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

On 10/12/2019 at 8:36 PM, XenoFish said:

I have an experience of facing my fears during a sleep paralysis episode. 

When I experienced this episode I saw 2 figures. One was a black shadowy entity. It was my winter coat that was hanging on my bedroom door. The other entity was a smiling, Gremlin-looking type of thing, standing on top of a chair located near my bed  It was about the size of a cat and it was grinning ear to ear. I've seen similar looking entities in all sorts of different Sleep Paralysis documentaries. I was able to overpower my paralysis, jump out of bed and attempt to punch this thing. The strangest part of this experience is how this thing vanished from reality. I can only compare his disappearance from my vision to the disappearance of a fresh dream from memory. We've all experienced waking up and perfectly remembering a dream, only for it disappear from memory moments later. That's what it was like except I was able to watch this disappearance. One of the strangest sensations I've ever experienced. 

There is plenty of anecdotal evidence of "beings" that we aren't able to perceive. Understandably, this isn't good enough for those who want scientific proof. Stories of people who are all on Hallucinogenic substances who all describe seeing the exact same Entities. Same thing with sleep paralysis. People from all over the world claim to see the same things. Are these anxieties? Are these nightmarish hallucinations the Half-awake equivalent of the common dream of having your teeth falling out? Or are they something more? Going to have to do some studies with hallucinogenic drugs like DMT and see if people are able to communicate, and report similar findings. If you get 20 people together, and have them take a dose of DMT and meditate, then they proceed to describe seeing the same thing and communicating with the same entities, I think that it would mean that there are entities that live beyond our perception. The universe is so vast and complicated that there are crazier things than this concept that are real. 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Many years ago, during what I assume was an occurence of sleep paralysis, I had a nightmare and was able to grab a hold of the creature. I held on it with the express intent of wrestling it into the real world. I used to experiment with lucid dreaming, so I distinctly remember realizing that I was dreaming when I attempted to grab the creature. 

In any case, I wrestled this creature while trying to wake myself up for what seemed like fifteen minutes or so. Once I woke up there was of course no creature within my grasp. An extreme feeling of dread came over me as if I had pulled a demon or ancient evil from another plane into our reality.

I realized that this was just a sleep paralysis (or some type of related) episode, but that sense of dread stuck with me for a couple of weeks...