Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
spartan max2

U.S Hong Kong Bill proposed

71 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

spartan max2

Momentum is building. This bill is as bi-partisan as it gets. 

 

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/article/3030393/us-bill-hong-kong-democracy-which-has-angered-china-gets-approval

Quote

If passed, the act would, among other mandates, require the US to sanction Chinese officials deemed responsible for “undermining basic freedoms in Hong Kong”.

Quote

The Hong Kong Human Rights and Democracy Act clears House and Senate committees, with floor votes to come

 

 

More politicians hopping on board.

Quote

The number of cosponsors has risen to 37 representatives and 22 senators, up from six and seven, respectively, when the current bills were introduced in June.

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney

The U.S. needs to pull out the Monroe Doctrine and pass a "Mind your own business" bill. Their meddling never ends well. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Montmorency the Dog

Uncle Sam never can resist interfering in the affairs of other countries can it. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spartan max2
1 minute ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

Uncle Sam never can resist interfering in the affairs of other countries can it. 

That just lets the world be shaped by all the non-democratic nation's who are willing to interfer with other regions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spartan max2
17 minutes ago, Piney said:

The U.S. needs to pull out the Monroe Doctrine and pass a "Mind your own business" bill. Their meddling never ends well. 

Hong Kong is trying to get more autonomy from an authoritarian nation who refuses to give it to them. 

If we can give any kind of support, even if only symbolic then we should. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
30 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

If we can give any kind of support, even if only symbolic then we should. 

Why don't you take a good hard look at what the U.S and Britain did to China causing the Opium Wars, and other actions then take a harder look at the U.S,s actions in the Philippines after they took over. This is a pot-kettle award times100. 

China is hard on crime. Hong Kong is a den of criminals. It has nothing to do with democracy. Just about acting like rats. 

I lived in the U.S as a citizen of a Native Nation. I had less rights than a Chinese citizen. Don't give me your U.S. democracy bull****. 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spartan max2
5 minutes ago, Piney said:

Why don't you take a good hard look at what the U.S and Britain did to China causing the Opium Wars, and other actions then take a harder look at the U.S,s actions in the Philippines after they took over. This is a pot-kettle award times100. 

China is hard on crime. Hong Kong is a den of criminals. It has nothing to do with democracy. Just about acting like rats. 

I lived in the U.S as a citizen of a Native Nation. I had less rights than a Chinese citizen. Don't give me your U.S. democracy bull****. 

And here you free to make sure we never forget our mistakes.

You can call Trump a orange Cheeto whenever you want.

You can pick-it in front of the white house. Post your thoughts on any social media.

All without fear of repercussions.

In China you can not criticise the government without fear. Winnie the Pooh is banned from the country for heaven's sake because student made a mocking imagine of their leader.

U.S making mistakes in the past does not mean we should not care about human rights now.

Hong Kong wants independent. China will not give it to them. If China really believes they are a den of criminals then hey, let them go. Win-win for everyone.

You can not justify keeping a people under your regime against their will.

Edited by spartan max2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Montmorency the Dog
42 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

That just lets the world be shaped by all the non-democratic nation's who are willing to interfer with other regions.

oh please, name one - one - of Uncle Sam's "well intentioned" attempts to impose Democracy on anywhere since 1945 that have been met with success. Nearly every potential area of tension has either been turned into an actual area of tension, or has been made 100 times worse, by Uncle Sam's intervention. Hong Kong is already part of China, in case you hadn't noticed.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ExpandMyMind
45 minutes ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

Uncle Sam never can resist interfering in the affairs of other countries can it. 

Sometimes it's called for. China harvests organs, has Muslim concentration camps, is authoritarian to the point of Orwell and is debatably the most corrupt country in the world. The world has been turning a blind eye to far too much from the Chinese because their cheap products fuel our prosperous western economies, but it shouldn't be ignored. 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spartan max2
1 minute ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

oh please, name one - one - of Uncle Sam's "well intentioned" attempts to impose Democracy on anywhere since 1945 that have been met with success. Nearly every potential area of tension has either been turned into an actual area of tension, or has been made 100 times worse, by Uncle Sam's intervention. Hong Kong is already part of China, in case you hadn't noticed.

Supporting people who already want democracy is not the same as imposing. It is imposing when there is not already actual support for the ideas.

Also, South Korea is probably pretty happy with their outcome from our help. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
2 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

You can not justify keeping a people under your regime against their will.

Oh, like the US and Canada does to the 6 Nations? :rolleyes:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Montmorency the Dog
1 minute ago, spartan max2 said:

Hong Kong wants independent

seriously? Quite seriously? You're willing to encourage military confrontation with China because some bunch of students in face masks have been throwing petrol* bombs at police? That's going to be Uncle Sam's next great mission is it, having succeeded so admirably to make Iraq into a model US client state, and free the people of Syria from their tyrant? "Freedom for Hong Kong!" I'm sure it'll be a surefire winner to get the Orange Leader reelected. 

* or 'gasoline' 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spartan max2
5 minutes ago, Piney said:

Oh, like the US and Canada does to the 6 Nations? :rolleyes:

And here you are free to protest, yell, and raise awareness for these problems as much as you want without fear. 

In China all dissidents are censored. 

Hell, overwatch made it's gay characters not gay for the China market. 

I can promise you also that almost all young people would want to help native problems if they were aware of them.

Edited by spartan max2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Montmorency the Dog
3 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Sometimes it's called for. China harvests organs, has Muslim concentration camps, is authoritarian to the point of Orwell and is debatably the most corrupt country in the world. The world has been turning a blind eye to far too much from the Chinese because their cheap products fuel our prosperous western economies, but it shouldn't be ignored. 

and interesting how the liberal consciences always seem to be the ones that are always equally as an enthusiastic as the most bloodthirsty neoconservative to protect the oppressed peoples of X  . Exactly the same as Syria. Look how eager the liberal consciences were for the Amazing Donald to confront Russia, if it came to that. In fact, I think I've been unfair to the US in this discussion; I think it's the liberal consciences that are the most eager for confrontation, and always seem completely blind to the complete failure of every attempt that's ever been made to support the oppressed peoples of X or Y.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spartan max2
4 minutes ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

seriously? Quite seriously? You're willing to encourage military confrontation with China because some bunch of students in face masks have been throwing petrol* bombs at police? That's going to be Uncle Sam's next great mission is it, having succeeded so admirably to make Iraq into a model US client state, and free the people of Syria from their tyrant? "Freedom for Hong Kong!" I'm sure it'll be a surefire winner to get the Orange Leader reelected. 

* or 'gasoline' 

Not military confrontation homie.

I'm talking about the Bill proposed in OP and for the world to stop turning a blind eye to China's human rights abuses.

You are afraid to speak out against China because to you it is either war or nonething. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
1 minute ago, spartan max2 said:

I can promise you also that almost all young people would want to help native problems if they were aware of them.

Being 3% of the population. We are not a vote and in my personal opinion, protests don't work anyway. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
1 minute ago, spartan max2 said:

I'm talking about the Bill proposed in OP and for the world to stop turning a blind eye to China's human rights abuses.

 

Oh, like the blind eye the U.S. turns towards Saudi Arabia? Because those savages are far worse. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Montmorency the Dog
1 minute ago, spartan max2 said:

Not military confrontation homie.

I'm talking about the Bill proposed in OP and for the world to stop turning a blind eye to China's human rights abuses.

You are afraid to speak out against China because to you it is either war or nonething. 

What then? Sanctions? That's Washington's kneejerk response to everything. It's got so idiotic that they'e even threatened sanctions against its "European allies" if they don't do as it commands over, for example, Iran. 

  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spartan max2
1 minute ago, Piney said:

Oh, like the blind eye the U.S. turns towards Saudi Arabia? Because those savages are far worse. 

Yeah, we should start calling out their **** too. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spartan max2
2 minutes ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

What then? Sanctions? That's Washington's kneejerk response to everything. It's got so idiotic that they'e even threatened sanctions against its "European allies" if they don't do as it commands over, for example, Iran. 

Yep.

China will not let our countries do business if they don't follow China's values and standards. 

Maybe it's time to require their officials to follow our standards of basic human rights.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ExpandMyMind
8 minutes ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

and interesting how the liberal consciences always seem to be the ones that are always equally as an enthusiastic as the most bloodthirsty neoconservative to protect the oppressed peoples of X

You say that as if it's a bad thing.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Montmorency the Dog

I mean, the Chinese, say, or the Russians could play news footage of the Extinction Rebellion hippies being brutalized by the oppressive security services and say that that would give them justification for intervening to support these brave pro-democracy protesters. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ExpandMyMind
5 minutes ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

What then? Sanctions? That's Washington's kneejerk response to everything. It's got so idiotic that they'e even threatened sanctions against its "European allies" if they don't do as it commands over, for example, Iran. 

Begin systematically replacing Chinese manufacturing with that of other countries in the region. Work to completely drop them unless or until they change their behaviour.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
4 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Yeah, we should start calling out their **** too. 

I was one of the AFSC humanitarian aid workers kicked out of Israel for pointing out human rights violations.

There are countries far worse than China junior. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Montmorency the Dog
1 minute ago, ExpandMyMind said:

You say that as if it's a bad thing.

Yes, it is a bad thing. How clear can I make it? it's bad thing because every single time liberal consciences have clamoured for intervention to protect the oppressed people of Z from their ruthless tyrannical government it's resulted in the situation getting immeasurably worse than it would have been if they'd left well alone.

Vietnam: Defending the people of South-east Asia against Communism.

Afghanistan: Overthrowing the fanatics of the Taliban and liberating the oppressed Afghan people.

Iraq:  Overthrowing the tyrant Saddam Hussein and bringing freedom to the oppressed Iraqi people.

Syria: Protecting the Syrian people and minorities such as e.g. the Kurds from a ruthless tyrant. 

It's not a very encouraging record is it. :mellow:

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.