Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Media Bias and the Decay of Journalism

BrooklynGuy

This Month's Hall of Shame Award in Fake Journalism goes to the Washington Post and Jeff Bezos's for changing the Abu Bakr "The Coward" al-Baghdadi obituary and calling him an 'Austere Religious Scholar.'  When asked to comment Bezos, the world's Richest Man, had this to say: "I felt the original headline was discriminatory to our valued Amazon consumers in the Hills of Afghanistan, the disputed territory in Pakistan and in Syria, Iraq, Somalia, Iran, et al."   ;)

Oh how far the formerly revered profession of Journalism has Fallen. :td:

Washington Post Changes Headline About Terrorist Leader’s Death, Calling Him An ‘Austere Religious Scholar’

The original headline for the Post’s article about the terrorist leader’s death read, “Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, Islamic State’s ‘terrorist-in-chief,’ dies at 48.” To start, the headline makes is seem like he simply died of an illness rather than in response to a raid conducted by the U.S. military, but at least it calls him a terrorist and notes the gravity of his death. But apparently that headline was too harsh, because the Post changed the headline to, “Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, austere religious scholar at helm of Islamic State, dies at 48,” according to a screenshot from journalist Yashar Ali.

Read more: https://www.dailywire.com/news/58280

• Haha 1

The profound bias of the Lame News Media is unpalatable. :td:

Today's Headlines from the Left and the Right on the same story:

From the Left:

Whoopi Goldberg cuts off Meghan McCain, tells her to calm down during fiery ‘View’ segment

Back to your corners, ladies. Whoopi Goldberg played referee on “The View” Tuesday after Meghan McCain began shouting over her co-panelists during a heated discussion about Army Lt. Col. Andrew Vindman. As McCain and Joy Behar began talking over each other — yet again — Goldberg tried making peace. “Everybody take a breath,” urged the Oscar winner as McCain continued running her mouth. “Hold on. Let me just finish. What I’m saying . . . everybody has something to say at the table. We really do want to hear from everybody. But we’re starting to do that thing.”

Read more: https://www.nydailynews.com/snyde/ny-whoopi-goldberg-cuts-off-meghan-mccain-20191029-2r3aa4pncfbwpjz2zk6lgyz4pi-story.html

From the Right: 

Schiff 'interrupted continually' to 'coach' latest Trump impeachment witness

Rep. Devin Nunes, the top Republican on the House Intelligence Committee, accused the panel's Democrat chairman, Rep. Adam Schiff, of coaching a Trump impeachment inquiry witness during closed-door testimony on Capitol Hill. "I have never in my life seen anything like what happened today," Nunes, R-Calif., told "Hannity" on Tuesday, referring to the testimony of Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman. The scene was unprecedented, Nunes said. "I mean, they've been bad at most of these depositions, but to interrupt us continually to coach the witness, to decide... what we're going to be able to ask the witness."

Read more: https://www.foxnews.com/media/adam-schiff-vindman-devin-nunes-impeachment

5 hours ago, BrooklynGuy said:

The profound bias of the Lame News Media is unpalatable. :td:

Today's Headlines from the Left and the Right on the same story:

From the Left:

Whoopi Goldberg cuts off Meghan McCain, tells her to calm down during fiery ‘View’ segment

Back to your corners, ladies. Whoopi Goldberg played referee on “The View” Tuesday after Meghan McCain began shouting over her co-panelists during a heated discussion about Army Lt. Col. Andrew Vindman. As McCain and Joy Behar began talking over each other — yet again — Goldberg tried making peace. “Everybody take a breath,” urged the Oscar winner as McCain continued running her mouth. “Hold on. Let me just finish. What I’m saying . . . everybody has something to say at the table. We really do want to hear from everybody. But we’re starting to do that thing.”

Read more: https://www.nydailynews.com/snyde/ny-whoopi-goldberg-cuts-off-meghan-mccain-20191029-2r3aa4pncfbwpjz2zk6lgyz4pi-story.html

From the Right: 

Schiff 'interrupted continually' to 'coach' latest Trump impeachment witness

Rep. Devin Nunes, the top Republican on the House Intelligence Committee, accused the panel's Democrat chairman, Rep. Adam Schiff, of coaching a Trump impeachment inquiry witness during closed-door testimony on Capitol Hill. "I have never in my life seen anything like what happened today," Nunes, R-Calif., told "Hannity" on Tuesday, referring to the testimony of Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman. The scene was unprecedented, Nunes said. "I mean, they've been bad at most of these depositions, but to interrupt us continually to coach the witness, to decide... what we're going to be able to ask the witness."

Read more: https://www.foxnews.com/media/adam-schiff-vindman-devin-nunes-impeachment

But they arent the same stories. One is about the bickering hosts of the View , which for some reason has become daily headline news in and of itself across most platforms (even fox), the other is about the impeachment questioning the other day.

A better MSM comparison to the Foxnews article would be :

Shouting match erupts in Vindman deposition as Democrats accuse Republicans of trying to out whistleblower

Democrats and Republicans got into a shouting match behind closed doors on Tuesday while interviewing a witness in the impeachment investigation, with Democrats accusing Republicans of trying to out the anonymous whistleblower who sparked the impeachment inquiry, according to five sources from both parties.

House Intelligence Chairman Adam Schiff objected to a line of questioning from Republicans during the deposition of Lt. Col. Alexander Vindman, the National Security Council official in charge of Ukraine policy, charging that the GOP questions were part of an effort to out the whistleblower, sources said.

Edited by Farmer77
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That dumb blonde can't even pull off looking intelligent all Halloween up as a nerd... 

~

• Haha 2

Sadly political ideology continues to Trump sanity :td:

From the Left:

Convicted child molester released by NC sheriff who says ICE didn’t get a warrant

The Buncombe County Sheriff’s Office released a convicted child molester, saying immigration officials who had wanted him detained never got a warrant for his arrest. Marvin Torres was arrested in 2017 and convicted this week of indecent liberties with a minor, Buncombe County officials said. A judge sentenced Torres to time served and released him Tuesday, a day after his conviction. In a statement, the sheriff’s office defended the decision to release Torres.

Read more: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/state/north-carolina/article236821068.html

From the Right: 

Sanctuary county in N.C. releases illegal alien convicted child molester despite ICE detainer

Local authorities in Buncombe County, North Carolina, released a sex offender who is in the country illegally despite a federal immigration detainer request. An Immigration and Customs Enforcement news release sent out on Wednesday says that federal officers apprehended Salvadorian national Marvin Ramirez Torres in downtown Asheville, N.C., after he was released by local officials the day before. According to the Asheville Citizen-Times, Torres was initially charged with four felony counts of statutory sex offense against an 11-year-old victim. Earlier this week, Torres was convicted of felony indecent liberties with a child and sentenced to time served, set for release, and ordered to register as a sex offender.

Read more: https://www.conservativereview.com/news/sanctuary-county-n-c-releases-illegal-alien-convicted-child-molester-despite-ice-detainer/

21 minutes ago, BrooklynGuy said:

Sadly political ideology continues to Trump sanity :td:

From the Left:

Convicted child molester released by NC sheriff who says ICE didn’t get a warrant

The Buncombe County Sheriff’s Office released a convicted child molester, saying immigration officials who had wanted him detained never got a warrant for his arrest. Marvin Torres was arrested in 2017 and convicted this week of indecent liberties with a minor, Buncombe County officials said. A judge sentenced Torres to time served and released him Tuesday, a day after his conviction. In a statement, the sheriff’s office defended the decision to release Torres.

Read more: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/state/north-carolina/article236821068.html

From the Right: 

Sanctuary county in N.C. releases illegal alien convicted child molester despite ICE detainer

Local authorities in Buncombe County, North Carolina, released a sex offender who is in the country illegally despite a federal immigration detainer request. An Immigration and Customs Enforcement news release sent out on Wednesday says that federal officers apprehended Salvadorian national Marvin Ramirez Torres in downtown Asheville, N.C., after he was released by local officials the day before. According to the Asheville Citizen-Times, Torres was initially charged with four felony counts of statutory sex offense against an 11-year-old victim. Earlier this week, Torres was convicted of felony indecent liberties with a child and sentenced to time served, set for release, and ordered to register as a sex offender.

Read more: https://www.conservativereview.com/news/sanctuary-county-n-c-releases-illegal-alien-convicted-child-molester-despite-ice-detainer/

Do you think it would be a good thing for America if all it takes is a letter from a branch of the federal government to keep you imprisoned after you have finished your sentence?

This is a huge failure on ICE's part . Why didnt they get a warrant? I get that this dude is a dangerous criminal but to paraphrase a popular refrain from the oughts  if we are willing to violate our own laws the criminals have already won.

Stop ignoring the difference between ICE detainers and warrants

When ICE issues a detainer request asking local law enforcement agencies to hold individuals after they are eligible for release, law enforcement is likely violating the Fourth Amendment, primarily because ICE detainers and warrants have wildly different procedural requirements, and confer fundamentally different rights.

Whereas a warrant requires review by a judge, a valid ICE detainer is issued by any ICE officer who determines there is reason to believe an individual is an alien subject to removal. This standard extends significant deference to immigration officials, whereas the Fourth Amendment warrant requirements extend protections to the individual.

1 hour ago, Farmer77 said:

Do you think it would be a good thing for America if all it takes is a letter from a branch of the federal government to keep you imprisoned after you have finished your sentence?

This is a huge failure on ICE's part . Why didnt they get a warrant? I get that this dude is a dangerous criminal but to paraphrase a popular refrain from the oughts  if we are willing to violate our own laws the criminals have already won.

Stop ignoring the difference between ICE detainers and warrants

Farmer good post but you forgot to share your thoughts on Folks purposely, for strictly political reasons, thwarting the law. ;) 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, BrooklynGuy said:

Farmer good post but you forgot to share your thoughts on Folks purposely, for strictly political reasons, thwarting the law. ;) 

Im assuming youre referring to sanctuary states? Honestly there are a lot of reasons beyond politics to be for sanctuary states.

Personally and ideologically im for states rights. As a career public servant , mostly in EMS, im also in favor of the federal government not draining local resources to enforce federal law and understand the benefits of having the immigrant community point their anger at the federal government rather than the people who have to try and help them on the daily.

I guess in response I should ask why are you in favor of the federal government pressuring local governments to violate the constitution?

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Im assuming youre referring to sanctuary states? Honestly there are a lot of reasons beyond politics to be for sanctuary states.

Personally and ideologically im for states rights. As a career public servant , mostly in EMS, im also in favor of the federal government not draining local resources to enforce federal law and understand the benefits of having the immigrant community point their anger at the federal government rather than the people who have to try and help them on the daily.

I guess in response I should ask why are you in favor of the federal government pressuring local governments to violate the constitution?

First let me say thank you for the work you do, you have most likely seen more heartache in one month than most of us will see in a life time. I don't want to see anyone mistreated especially folks who are doing what they have to, to escape horrible conditions in their own countries and in our country. My complaint is not with the immigrants or local governments or their laws but with any person or entity using those said immigrants or local laws to make a political point. For goodness sake letting a sexual predator go to spite a government agency, admittedly that agency is very flawed, is an act of lunacy in my opinion. I have just as much contempt for the right as I do for the left. The reason I post more from the right's point of view is because you guys are doing such a bang up job of pulling back the covers on the fraudsters on the right. That leaves myself and a few other dedicated posters to shine a light on the parasites on the left who are attempting to perpetrate a fraud on the American people. Our current Bloviator in Chief steps in his own sh!t on a daily basis and the Fake News Propaganda machine for the left and the right immediately goes to the presses to put their spin on it. All the while the Democraps are plotting a coup and trying to give away every Flocking thing we own to get their choice for the next Bloviator in Chief elected. BTW don't forget to update your roster, you and I are matched up in Myles league this week. Good luck my Friend  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Farmer77 said:

Say I forgot to ask you if you want to team up and take on a band of hooligans from across the pond who are going on about how they know what is best for America? You imagine the gall of these very nice posters? Marone, I got one guy called settinhisways chasing me from thread to thread just for offerering him a good book to read.  :lol:;)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BrooklynGuy said:

My complaint is not with the immigrants or local governments or their laws but with any person or entity using those said immigrants or local laws to make a political point. For goodness sake letting a sexual predator go to spite a government agency, admittedly that agency is very flawed, is an act of lunacy in my opinion.

I guess my position is that while you may be correct and some are doing it out of political spite there are legitimate reasons to be in favor of them so assuming its out of political spite is just borrowing and spreading angst unnecessarily.

But I try and see the best in everyone. Wanna avoid road rage? Next time someone rides your ass on the road and then flies by you like a maniac instead of thinking "what a dick" think "damn he must really have to poop" :D

3 hours ago, BrooklynGuy said:

That leaves myself and a few other dedicated posters to shine a light on the parasites on the left who are attempting to perpetrate a fraud on the American people.

I honestly do appreciate that effort, im not a party affiliated guy but you know what ive honestly ran up against with that post 2016? The veracity of SO MANY of the stories about those on the left , hell as well as the use of the term "the left" , is so just clearly in doubt that it makes it really really hard to engage the stories on a level  beyond fact checking. 

This is new BTW.  The term sounds hyperbolic but there has honestly been a radicalization of right leaning media over the last several years. A motivated member could search a few years back and find me defending Foxnews for instance and now they from like 11am on are nothing but pure propaganda.

I would be interested in seeing new right leaning sources though so please do share when you find good stuff.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

im not a party affiliated guy

I let this go last night because I was watching reruns of Dana Perino's "The Daily Briefing". :wub: This has to be the biggest FIB you have told on here so far. :w00t: I guess congratulations are in order as I have it on good authority by three anonymous UM sources that you are seriously being considered for the position of Elizabeth "Lizzy Borden" Warren's Deputy White House Press Secretary along with EMM, Doug1026, Hankenhunter and many other farrrrrr left, but very nice folks here on UM. :whistle:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BrooklynGuy said:

I let this go last night because I was watching reruns of Dana Perino's "The Daily Briefing". :wub: This has to be the biggest FIB you have told on here so far. :w00t: I guess congratulations are in order as I have it on good authority by three anonymous UM sources that you are seriously being considered for the position of Elizabeth "Lizzy Borden" Warren's Deputy White House Press Secretary along with EMM, Doug1026, Hankenhunter and many other farrrrrr left, but very nice folks here on UM. :whistle:

Nah man the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

My political leanings have taken a hard left turn for sure but im a screw everyone and everything in order to do the right thing type. That doesnt work well with group think party politics for long

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, BrooklynGuy said:

Yeah, about as convincing as Pelosi declaring she's not a Democrat. Hillary summed up the Left's contemporary dilemma when she was quoted longing for the days when three Networks and one party controlled the "message" to the American People.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Satire:

I see the NY times continues their push of identity politics and have made up their minds on who they will work incessantly on getting elected as the next President of The United States of America. I must give them credit for not referring to Barack Obama as America's First Black President in this article, as they have hundreds of times over the years, when in fact as we all know Former President Obama, who I voted for in large part because of his development and implementation of the Affordable Care Act, is of mixed race with a Black Father and White Mother who many would never know existed if it were up to the NY Times. What would Walter Cronkite think of journalism today if he was still with us? I'll bet his editorial if written today, in part based on the article below, would read something like this; ;)

Editorial:  "The Old Gray Lady Has Fallen And Can't Get Up"

The Old, White, Male Leadership at the NY Times must have a profound case of White Male Privilege guilt. Opinion piece after opinion piece plastered on their front page passing as hard news belittling the Office of the American Presidency and slamming anyone who dares disagree with their opinions on what is best for our great country. It must be said that after doing a good job getting Barack Obama elected president that they must of felt they had not done enough to receive absolution for their White Male Privilege and worked tirelessly to get Hillary "The Hildabeast" :) Clinton, who would of been our first female President, elected. Having crapped out with Hilarious :rofl: they have moved on to work tirelessly for that absolution by committing to do everything they can to assure that either Elizabeth "Lizzy Borden" Warren, who if elected would would become America's first Female and Native American President B) or Peter "Mayor Pete"  Buttigeig, who would become America's first Gay President. I can't remember did I mention that the Very Qualified Mr. Buttigeig is Gay, not that there is anything wrong with that. My most trusted source, a guy from Brooklyn who just happens to be Italian and Catholic, oy vey what a combination that is, has told me their 1st choice was Kamala Harris, who was debating coming out as trans gendered and naming the 1st black man for Vice President, Michelle Obama as her running mate just for the votes. However the Times lost interest with Harris's precipitous drop in the polls and moved on to Ms. Warren and Mr. Buttigeig.  :w00t: Ladies and Gentleman that's the way it is November 2, 2019, good night and God Bless.

Ooops I don't think it's political correct to say God anymore 

Respectfully,

Walter Cronkite, The most unbiased Journalist of all time

Warren Leads Tight Iowa Race as Biden Fades, Poll Finds

Several of them would also represent change by virtue of their identities, including Ms. Warren, who would be the first female president, and Mr. Buttigieg, who is gay. But despite the historic diversity of the field, all the top candidates are white. In Iowa, a state that helped vault Barack Obama into the presidency, the poll found a substantial bloc concerned that anyone other than a heterosexual white man might struggle to defeat President Trump.

Read more: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/01/us/politics/iowa-poll-warren-biden.html

:ph34r:

How Can I Cure My White Guilt?

Read more fake news at the New York Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/14/style/white-guilt-privilege.html

Mr. Cronkite would have gotten a real kick out of the emoji's we have don't you think, RIP you are still the greatest. :nw:

Disclaimer: This entire post is satire, please do not spam the poster with vapid CNN talking points, lame defenses of the indefensible or emails on the merits of socialism. Have a nice day!  :st

• Haha 3

So I have been working diligently in an effort to outsmart Yahoo's farrrr left brain trust and algorithm that puts content into my news feed based on what fake news articles of theirs I click on and their adware that spies on us 24/7 despite our best efforts to rid if from our PCs and phones. The last several days I have been deliberately avoiding clicking on any of the 6 headlines in the headline block and have been hitting the not interested button for HuffnPuff, and NBC News and the alike and only clicking on just home improvement type stories. Now these ****heads know I'm a right winger based on my past click history so they are now posting headline after headline from sites like Town and Country and Architectural Digest with a few having pro Trump headlines that when you click on the bait are either Pro Left or only have some tangential connection to the Trumpster that is invariably Pro Left. Case in point was The Trumpster's Halloween party for the kids and the let's build a wall exercise that was heavily criticized. Yahoo's click bait headline for Architectural Digests story was: President Trump helps children build wall, passes out candy to the all the little Ghosts and Goblins. The actual headline was from Architectural Dijest and was this: Trump makes children build wall before giving them any candy. ;)

Edited by BrooklynGuy

Media doing what is good for media... ABC in this case...

Vox.com: Jeffrey Epstein: Leaked tape: ABC News killed an interview with an accuser of Jeffrey Epstein.
https://www.vox.com/2019/11/5/20949839/jeffrey-epstein-abc-news-leaked-tape-project-veritas

• Like 2

On 11/1/2019 at 6:37 AM, third_eye said:

That dumb blonde can't even pull off looking intelligent all Halloween up as a nerd... 

~

Whoosh

She was trying to look dumb. To mock the character she dressed up as. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Media doing what is good for media... ABC in this case...

Vox.com: Jeffrey Epstein: Leaked tape: ABC News killed an interview with an accuser of Jeffrey Epstein.
https://www.vox.com/2019/11/5/20949839/jeffrey-epstein-abc-news-leaked-tape-project-veritas

Thanks for the link DieChecker and I agree. 

2 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

Whoosh

She was trying to look dumb. To mock the character she dressed up as. 

Splash.... That only works if she didn't have to try and look dumb, that's like Dracula in a vampire costume for Halloween 

~

Edited by third_eye
Punchline

28 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Splash.... That only works if she didn't have to try and look dumb, must be her line of "made in China " mock make up

~

Attractive blond women are dumb trope :rolleyes:

31 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Attractive blond women are dumb trope :rolleyes:

Not this particular trophy Tomi tropey dumber than the usual blonde... 

:rolleyes:

~

The very sad decay of Journalism continues. Looks like Thanksgiving is under attack now from the far left, what's next CHRISTmas:santa:

From the Far Left:

The Environmental Impact Of Your Thanksgiving Dinner

A recent report from National Geographic and the Climate Action Tracker found that we are far from reaching our 2020 goal of lower emissions. In 2015, the U.S. and 196 other countries signed the Paris climate agreement (which President Donald Trump is now pulling out of) with the goal of limiting the increase of global average temperature to 1.5 degrees Celsius. Despite having originally signed the agreement, the U.S.’s action on the issue has been “insufficient,” according to Climate Action Tracker, an independent scientific body that holds government to account on climate action.

Read more: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/thanksgiving-dinner-ecological-impact_l_5db07ef7e4b0d5b78944bc6e

From the Far Right: I'm sorry there is no text with this video, Yahoo can't muster up the courage to print anything From Fox Fake News or that doesn't stay in lock step with there stated purpose of destroying the once revered profession of Journalism. I know some of you folks from across the pond like Mark Steyn so enjoy. 

Huffington Post suggests skipping Thanksgiving for climate change

https://www.yahoo.com/news/huffington-post-suggests-skipping-thanksgiving-020629502.html

I gotta run the Missus and I are heading over to Wegmans to get our Thanksgiving Turkey and all the fixings before the Lunatics on the Left ban them. Enjoy your day. ;)

• Like 1