Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

If all the ice on Earth melted overnight

31 posts in this topic

openozy
On 10/13/2019 at 8:15 PM, cerberusxp said:

For all you down under>> Fraud uncovered

Come over and watch the wildlife,stock and towns dying and then comment on fraud.

Essan

It doesn't matter why all the ice should melt, nor the fact that it probably won't happen in our lifetimes, or, indeed, for millions of years.   The point is what the world would look like if it did.   That's quite interesting. 

Doug1029
10 hours ago, tmcom said:

No!

Then what DO you consider evidence?

Doug

• Sad 1

Doug1029
12 hours ago, rashore said:

Back to the OP again... if for some reason all the ice melted overnight... it would be likely that the catastrophe that caused the ice caps to completely melt within hours would be of more immediate concern than the rising water. Nothing as slow as the climate change bickerment. 

Considering humans are awake in most time zones all the time... someone would be awake during whatever event. Probably a lot of folks. Considering the heat it would take to melt the ice caps in  hours we would all likely be cooked to oblivion where we woke or slept. 

Enough sudden heat to melt the icecaps overnight would also likely toast or drown most farming, plants and animals. Heat wave enough to blow gas tanks and electric transformers. 

I don't think the OP was expecting that all ice on earth would really melt in one night.  The only forces capable of doing that would likely destroy all life on earth, if not simply vaporizing the planet (gamma ray burst).  Melting ice would be the least of our problems.

More likely, if all ice does melt, it will be over a period of 100 to 300 years.  Even at that, the ecological damage would be huge and probably result in massive die-offs that potentially include us.

I have heard lots of different "estimates" about how high the water would get.  66m is about the highest one.  40m is more common.  1.5m if all the temperate-zone glaciers melt - some reading this thread may live long enough to see it.  I don't expect to.

On Baffin Island there is a tiny remnant of the great Laurentide Ice Sheet that once stretched from the Ohio River to the Arctic Ocean and from the Atlantic to within ten miles of the Rocky Mountains.  If you want to see it, you'd better hurry - it's melting fast.

Rising sea level is not really an issue.  There's nothing we can do to stop it - only delay it.  Even shifting completely to renewable energy won't save us.  We might be able to reverse sea level by the end of the century, but don't count on that.  So how do we "adapt?"  We abandon parts of our major cities to the sea - goodbye Staten Island, Lady Liberty, Washington DC, Cairo, Venice, London, Tokyo, New Orleans, Rio.  We relocate our port facilities to higher ground - New Orleans moves to Baton Rouge.  We accept that major storms are going to demolish homes along the Atlantic and Gulf coasts and we quit rebuilding them after hurricanes.  Eventually, we will quit insuring them.

And that's waht we'd do, whether sea level is slow, or happens over night, assuming we're still here to do it.

Doug

Doug1029
On 10/13/2019 at 4:15 AM, cerberusxp said:

For all you down under>> Fraud uncovered

I checked out the Arctic sea ice articles.  The ones listed are highly exaggerated and do not represent actual conditions as determined from satellite data.  But that doesn't mean that the Arctic Ocean isn't melting off.  I don't remember which thread I posted it on, but on one of these climate threads is a list of Arctic Ocean ice cover amounts since 1978.  That's about the time we started seeing declines in winter ice.  Summer ice has been declining since about 1950.  Overall, the Arctic Ocean is losing about seven percent of its remaining ice cover each year.  PM me and I'll send you a copy.

And that brings up a problem with some climate-change claims:  most newspapers and magazines exert no quality-control on their content.  They make up fairy tales and if the editor believes it, it gets published.  That cuts both directions.  Por- and anti-global warming sites exaggerate and misrepresent.  The only way to get the truth is to look up the research papers on the topic.  Even then, it pays to try a little skepticism.

Doug

Doug1029
On 10/21/2019 at 10:53 AM, rashore said:

Folks, please do not make this just another extension from debating in other threads. Leave this topic as it's own topic instead of dragging arguments/commentary in from other threads.

Guess there wasn't much interest in the topic of this thread.  Took a good dose of climate change to keep it going.

Doug