Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

'Zombie deer' threatening to invade US state

Still Waters

It may sound like the setup for a low budget horror film, but wildlife officials have warned of the genuine threat of zombie deer.

Regulators are working overtime to stop the afflicted animals from reaching Nevada, worried that the chronic wasting disease that gives them their name could make them a danger to humans.

The highly contagious terminal illness has been compared to mad cow disease in cattle and makes the deer lethargic and extremely weak - but also neutralises their usual fear of people.

https://news.sky.com/story/zombie-deer-threatening-to-invade-us-state-11830346

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

third_eye

Zombie Bambi... 

~

Alchopwn
1 hour ago, third_eye said:

Zombie Bambi... 

~

That is not dead which can on Disney Channel play, and come strange aeons even Thumper may die.

Zombi.jpg.f3fb110c67e1ff30cf7eea624f7c226c.jpg

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Haha 4

Scholar4Truth
16 minutes ago, Alchopwn said:

That is not dead which can on Disney Channel play, and come strange aeons even Thumper may die.

Zombi.jpg.f3fb110c67e1ff30cf7eea624f7c226c.jpg

Bambi's mom is coming back for revenge. 

Edited by Scholar4Truth
  • Like 1

Princess Serenity

Don't eat the deer. I hope the deer in the woods here don't have it. ): 

rashore
10 minutes ago, Princess Serenity said:

Don't eat the deer. I hope the deer in the woods here don't have it. ): 

Depends on where you live. Many states in the U.S. and a couple provinces in Canada are reporting in CWD. I can fully understand why Nevada is concerned. In some places, tuberculosis is problematic enough in the deep population that hunters are getting warnings about using caution while field dressing/processing deer.

To my understanding from reading a couple articles.. Nevada is acting on deer much like how some places have a ban on transporting wood from other places in case it's infected with a beetle or disease. Can't hunt other states and bring the meat/carcasses in. Encouraging testing of the deer you bag in state to make sure it's clear of CWD.

joc

Chronic Wasting Disease (U.S. National Park Service)

Disease Background

Chronic wasting disease (CWD) is a prion disease which is a unique family of diseases caused by a malformed protein.

CWD infects animals in the cervid family (deer, elk, moose, and reindeer).

The malformed prion protein accumulates in the brain and other tissues causing neurological signs, emaciation, and death. Once clinical signs are observed the disease is always fatal.

Public Health Implications

There is currently no evidence that CWD can infect humans or domestic animal species. However, it is recommended that tissues from CWD infected animals not be consumed.

....for those like me who refuse to click on Accept Cookies in order to continue reading a website...

Edited by joc

WillowLavenders
On 10/12/2019 at 6:33 AM, Still Waters said:

but also neutralises their usual fear of people.

That's what is worrying me. Imagine a deer, now not afraid of you, feeling threatened and just charging you.

zygote_myles

Very saddening. Hopefully people with a heart will find a cure for them.