Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Prolonged handshakes can trigger anxiety

Still Waters

Handshakes lasting longer than three seconds can trigger anxiety, negatively impact business meetings and affect the state of our relationships according to a new study.

Thirty-six participants were interviewed by masters students at the University of Dundee’s school of social sciences about their work and career prospects.

They were then introduced to a second researcher, who would either shake their hand as “normal” (less than three seconds), “prolonged” (longer than three seconds), or not at all.

The participants were unaware of the significance of the handshake throughout the study period, with their subsequent reactions analysed.

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-10-11/prolonged-handshakes-can-trigger-anxiety-and-affect-relationships-study/

https://journals.sagepub.com/eprint/TX6A4ZWEJDMGNTN3AJ9R/full

• Like 1

If someone shakes my hand longer than 3 seconds I'm going to wonder if there's a knife in their other hand, and I'm about to get stabbed.

Yeah obivously, like why is this weirdo still holding my hand lol. 

If your shaking my hand to greet and giving a warm welcome I have no problem. But if your touching me just to touch me then yeah im going to get uncomfortable. 

Well  you never know where that hand has been.....the horror the horror