Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Prehistoric humans stored food to eat later

Still Waters

Tel Aviv University researchers, in collaboration with scholars from Spain, have uncovered evidence of the storage and delayed consumption of animal bone marrow at Qesem Cave near Tel Aviv, the site of many major discoveries from the late Lower Paleolithic period some 400,000 years ago.

The research provides direct evidence that early Paleolithic people saved animal bones for up to nine weeks before feasting on them inside Qesem Cave.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/10/191009142902.htm

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

This was a "given". If our ancestors did it. Why wouldn't we? 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

They must have discovered  dried  foods as well.     ?   

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, lightly said:

I think Homo erectus discovered that along with fire.  Many of us now think Homo erectus even built boats or rafts.

@Harte  floated the idea around for decades. Considering some of the places they settled in Asia I never disagreed with him. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, lightly said:

...and smoking of meats. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

...and smoking of meats. 

Homo erectus probably put the meat into the smoke to keep the flies off then suddenly though "Holy crap this is good!" 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Piney said:

This was a "given". If our ancestors did it. Why wouldn't we? 

Nine-week-old marrow doesn't sound all that appetizing, but at least it would be sealed off inside the bone.

Harte

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Piney said:

I think Homo erectus discovered that along with fire.  Many of us now think Homo erectus even built boats or rafts.

@Harte  floated the idea around for decades. Considering some of the places they settled in Asia I never disagreed with him. 

I thought that before any evidence came out.

Erectus is my favorite Homo. :whistle:

Harte

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Piney said:

Homo erectus probably put the meat into the smoke to keep the flies off then suddenly though "Holy crap this is good!" 

same with salt i guess. At some time early man thought that washing meat and bones was a good way of cleaning it for whatever reason and were pleasantly surprised at its taste and preserving qualities. 

• Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Harte said:

Erectus is my favorite Homo. :whistle:

I thought Jay was? :whistle:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

same with salt i guess. At some time early man thought that washing meat and bones was a good way of cleaning it for whatever reason and were pleasantly surprised at its taste and preserving qualities. 

I never looked into the hominid use of salt. I do know it was one of the reasons my ancestors, the Adena-Middlesex people moved down into the Ohio Valley. 

It was one of our biggest trade items. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Storing food to eat later is just instinctive survival behaviour... if a squirrel can do it why wouldn't we.

Or perhaps...... they hid the food from the fat prehistoric humans so they could eat it alone, in fear of them nicking it. 

Edited by Iilaa'mpuul'xem
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

Storing food to eat later is just instinctive survival behaviour... if a squirrel can do it why wouldn't we.

Or perhaps...... they hid the food from the fat prehistoric humans so they could eat it alone, in fear of them nicking it. 

Usually it's the fat ones that are hiding food and eating it in secret.

Harte

• Haha 4

The dawn of politicians... 

35 minutes ago, Harte said:

Usually it's the fat ones that are hiding food and eating it in secret.

Harte

~

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

In my honest opinion I think we highly underestimate the advances of those before us, especially when they must have been influenced heavily by culture dominance. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, Not Your Huckleberry said:

In my honest opinion I think we highly underestimate the advances of those before us, especially when they must have been influenced heavily by culture dominance. 

That's always a big discussion among archaeologists. Especially with all the advanced organic technology we've been coming across lately. 

Flint knapping is hard as hell unless you know exactly what your doing.

We pulled a dugout canoe out of a white cedar swamp that the saltwater killed. It dated from the Late Archaic but had the same prow design as the USCG's newest gunboat. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Piney said:

Flint knapping is hard as hell unless you know exactly what your doing.

I hate to bring up China but it's commonly held that they were backward because flint tools are rare and not they were early with metal, outside of China they're too lazy to argue about it, in China they know copper, bronze and iron were very early when common. 

~

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, third_eye said:

I hate to bring up China but it's commonly held that they were backward because flint tools are rare and not they were early with metal, outside of China they're too lazy to argue about it, in China they know copper, bronze and iron were very early when common. 

My opinion was they probably used bone, which was just as effective and doesn't hold up in Chinese climates or soils.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Piney said:

Many of us now think Homo erectus even built boats or rafts.

13 hours ago, Piney said:

I think Homo erectus discovered that along with fire.

9 hours ago, Piney said:

Seriously, if you say this one more time.......I will die laughing. :P :lol: 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

Have to agree - The only thing I would find surprising about it - is if some found it surprising.

• Thanks 1

Can this be moved to the 'vegan section'  ?

Do we have a vegan section? No?

Well lets get one. :lol:

6 hours ago, RAyMO said:

Have to agree - The only thing I would find surprising about it - is if some found it surprising.

Agreed, except "we" are not Homo Erectus (from Iilaa'mpuul'xem's post.)

I think everyone would agree that animals store food. And we (and Erectus) are animals. That would be postulated, but the point here is evidence for Erectus doing that, not a postulation that they did.

Harte

• Like 2