Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
UM-Bot

Spate of UK pigeon deaths declared a mystery

Jon the frog

Maybe a cyanide poisoning. Group of pigeon passing trough industrial smoke could be an explanation. Smoke inhalation during the burning of common substances such as rubber, plastic, and silk can create cyanide fumes and cause cyanide poisoning. Birds are quite sensible to toxin in the air, it's why they used canaries in coal mines to detect carbon monoxide and other toxic gases before they hurt humans.

• Like 3

pallidin

Barring another explanation, I have to side with Jon the frog on this one.

• Like 1

the13bats
6 hours ago, Jon the frog said:

Birds are quite sensible to toxin

257c6b63c49e3f0b8d4f0bd1a7905577.jpg.ea843da3f68b16b097e4eea172c0ec20.jpg

The story didnt go much into tests to decreased birds to rule in or rule out possible causes,

In addition to all kinds of natural things like "toxins" i recall a case where fireworks were freaking out a type bird enough to kill them,

These sad weird cases were masses of fish, birds what have you die always seem so weird but end up prosaic and still weird.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Pettytalk

Stool pigeons have been known to die mysteriously.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

kel_kel

I just want to know if she finished that cuppa coffee.

and then

Squab, anyone?  :w00t:

• Like 1

Davros of Skaro
3 hours ago, and then said:

Squab, anyone?  :w00t:

Well I learned a new word today.

ocpaul20

My theory which is really out-there is that the pigeons were flying about in a flock as they often do, and they ran into a cloaked craft. How about that for an "out-there" suggestion?

I think it is a possibility because the military are in the process of developing cloaking technology by projecting what is behind an object onto the front of the object - making it appear as if there is no object there.

You often hear of birds falling from the sky and most of them have their necks broken or internal bleeding which is consistent with this type of collision with a hard stationary object. I think this would account for it. The birds you hear of are OFTEN birds which go around in flocks too - pigeons, starlings, etc

Dolphins and whales beaching themselves, I reckon are because the military is using underwater sounds to communicate with their submarines, etc These sounds are so loud, the militrary is using so much power to project these signals, that the whales and dolphins cannot get away from them. The only place left for them to go is - tha land, out of the water. Even if they know it will kill them, it is better than these loud sounds ringing in their ears continuously. Imagine having really loud sounds or music in your ears all the time - it would drive you crazy like these whales/dolphins/etc These are often creatures which go around in groups and hunt and communicate with sounds and 'songs', so that would make sense this is the reason.