Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cheats and Hints - Change Experience?

TigerBright19

Back in the 1990's I bought hint books, cheat code magazines, Gameshark and Blaze Xploder cheat cartridges, and if a game did not have cheats, then quite often I just wasn't interested in buying the game.  I must have played about 10% of games without cheats.  Although I admit the reason I cheated was simply because I did not have a great amount of time to play them, and quite a few of the early consoles did not have the ability to save progress, which made cheating almost a necessity.  Sometimes when I was half way through a game and I suddenly found a list of cheat codes I would spoil the rest of the gaming experience because it was too tempting not to cheat, and I wished I had not seen those cheats and skipped ahead to the end of the game.  Although sometimes cheats can boost the enjoyment of a game and make it last longer e.g. GTA series.  I recently began to play many familiar titles from the 1990's without cheating, and I must admit the experience feels strange and unfamiliar.  Anyone else grow to accept hints and cheats as a normal practice when gaming?  Did it make the experience more enjoyable, or did it rob you of the true experience that was intended by the developers?

Edited by Aaron2016
  • Like 2

In depends on the game really.
Like for example, if the game is a virtual toy rather than a traditional computer game (the Sims series for example) then the user themselves decides what's cheating or not. In the Sims I frequently use the money cheat to set families up if I want them to be wealthy or middle class from the start, for example. With other games of that type and simulations I handle  it like so: if an aspect of the game would ruin the fun for me (like for instance the gravelkind succession law in Crusader Kings), then I use whatever means available to remove it, be it cheats or mods.

With traditional game like RPGs it depends on whether it's normal, fun difficulty or fake difficulty designed to artificially extend the life of a game through dozens of hours of grinding. If it's that silly fake difficulty, I cheat the heck out of that, and with several games of that type the Steam versions even include in-built trainers for "legitimate cheating" because like you, I never had that much time to play and could never stand for the idea to grind levels for hours on end (since that's just tedious, not fun) and I never subscribed to the idea of "virtual bragging rights" for something I did in a video game, so yeah...

In general I see nothing wrong with cheating in single player games, for whatever reason. They're toys after all, and nobody really has the right to tell anybody how to play with their toys. I have had situations where cheats/trainers/mods made it "too easy" and took the challenge out of it, but in those situations I just stopped using them and played without.

Edited by Orphalesion
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yeah I don't see any problems in using cheatcodes for games whatsoever.  In fact, game developer companies like CD Projekt Red encourage modding and using the cheats for Witcher 3.  If you check out the Nexus website, the modding community on there has a hell of a lot of mods for that game and the previous ones too, not to mention thousands of other games too.  Just another reason to love CDPR :P 

One of the way I love playing a game is in GodMode - especially if I'm into a storyline and I don't want to deal with the pesky death issues and restarting all the time.  Being free to be able to use the cheat console codes in games is sometimes "a must" for me.  

One of my pet peeves is playing Ubisoft's games and they frown upon modding on their platform.  This bothers me, especially after playing the Witcher series and how one game dev company can encourage it and another can be so against it.  

1 hour ago, Orphalesion said:

In general I see nothing wrong with cheating in single player games, for whatever reason. They're toys after all, and nobody really has the right to tell anybody how to play with their toys. I have had situations where cheats/trainers/mods made it "too easy" and took the challenge out of it, but in those situations I just stopped using them and played without.

Exactly!  We should be free to be able to play the game the way we want to.  As you mentioned if a trainer makes it too easy, you just go without it or vice versa if it's too hard.  I don't troll others for using them at all - I think they're a great option to have. :) 

• Like 2

Doesn't bother me either way. What bothers me is when there is rankings and it's very obvious that the leaders are hacking the game. Rankings for cheating. That's sad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use to buy the Game Shark cards to get the codes for all the games. I didn't really use them unless I just found the game too difficult to play.

• Like 1

Cheats and hacks should be used to enhance your own fun, and I have no issue with using them UNLESS it affects other players, such as in pvp games and that sort of thing. Then, it is simply a cheat and hack, not an "edit" 

I still like that mythical notion of "fair".

I only got into them for one game series I have played off and on for years now. I got my hands on a god mode and replayed it and enjoyed being able to do things I never was able to do on the previous billion play throughs. Single player, no harm no foul to anyone else. Huge fun.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Not A Rockstar said:

I have no issue with using them UNLESS it affects other players, such as in pvp games and that sort of thing.

2 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

Doesn't bother me either way. What bothers me is when there is rankings and it's very obvious that the leaders are hacking the game. Rankings for cheating. That's sad.

Yes, I totally agree with both of you here - I can only speak from my experience with Guild Wars 2 (mmorpg) if people get caught using a bot of any kind, they're banned.  I know people had bots running in the pvp area of the game and that was extremely irritating, especially when you're team is randomly chosen to rank up at the beginning of pvp seasons.  You run the chance of having bots in your team which is not good at any time.  The bots were used to farm points, so the owners didn't care if they won or lost.  :( 

The other games I play are single player so I don't have to think about it elsewhere thankfully. 

• Like 1

This is a really interesting topic actually, the more I think about it. I am a GM on a private server of Wurm Unlimited (WU) whose owner is a dev for the base game (Wurm Online) and he is really big on mods and reducing the grind. Our server is old and one f the most heavily modded available for WU. We like it and fast advancement and being able to do ANYTHING, most of which would take years on the basic vanilla game.

WU is the released form of the game and is wide open for mods being made and we have tons of them. The server I serve on, we really don't care what mods you wish to use, as long as the server is not bothered. It is PvE so nobody cares if I use a mod to see a vein to mine toward in the mines and you want to do it the harder way and prospect for it. Play how you want. The mods are free, on open access forum, so if you wanted my mods you can have them for nothing. Or not.

Yet, some cry about this and some servers are run by owners who make mods to BLOCK certain mods as being "unfair" or "game breaking". Me? If it is not PvP, who cares? I visit other new servers and walk into the first mine and if my mod is blocked, I don't play there, as I also believe it works both ways - your server, run it your way.

Anyway, the issue is there, but it comes down to people wanting to be free to do it their way, and then enforce everyone else to only be "free" their way, IMO. I do not like rules that aren't needed. Play it your own way, as long as it impacts nobody else, and far as I am concerned, it is all good.

JMO, the more I think about it. 

• Like 1