Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Hankenhunter

New helical space engine may be best idea yet

Hankenhunter

Gwynbleidd

That would be extremely cool if it works.  It's got to be so huge though! :o  

• Like 2

Hankenhunter
25 minutes ago, Gwynbleidd said:

That would be extremely cool if it works.  It's got to be so huge though! :o  

200 meters by 12 meters. Huge on earth but miniscule in space.

• Like 2

Gwynbleidd
Just now, Hankenhunter said:

200 meters by 12 meters. Huge on earth but miniscule in space.

Oh really?  I didn't even think a rocket would be that huge.  I was thinking 200m is so long!  But then again, I just thought now.......if this was a motor for some gigantic spaceship (I'm thinking the Death Star size) then it'd fit right in! ;) :lol: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

bison

Leaving aside the fact that it's massively inefficient, if it could work, there is another problem, as there always has been with simple reactionless drives.  The speed, and so the mass, increases on one side of the loop, on the way from the slow end to the fast end of the device. It decreases on the other side, going back to the slow end. The two sides will balance, in terms of speed and mass. If this is a continuous process, the device won't even wobble back and forth, as some reactionless drives do. There will be no net movement through space.  

• Like 2

kewlscot

Be better to have a tea drive, stir your tea to go faster and slower to slow down. As bison says, every action has an equal opposite reaction. It'll never work :)

• Like 2

AllPossible

What happens when you can't divert from some asteroid. Light speed sounds awesome, even 10% of light speed is 67,000,000 mph. Space travel is alot more difficult then people think. It's dangerous & fascinating at the same time.

• Like 1

Waspie_Dwarf
On 10/15/2019 at 4:53 PM, bison said:

Leaving aside the fact that it's massively inefficient, if it could work, there is another problem, as there always has been with simple reactionless drives.  The speed, and so the mass, increases on one side of the loop, on the way from the slow end to the fast end of the device. It decreases on the other side, going back to the slow end. The two sides will balance, in terms of speed and mass. If this is a continuous process, the device won't even wobble back and forth, as some reactionless drives do. There will be no net movement through space.  

You are making a massively incorrect assumption here, namely that mass increases in a linear manner to velocity. It doesn't. According to relativity mass increases exponentially to velocity. Above about 0.6c, where relativistic effects become noticeable,  a small increase in velocity will lead to a large increase in mass. As Einstein's most famous equation says: E=mc2, hence there is much more energy provided by the particles in one direction than in the other... your balance does not exist.

This is precisely why the article states that the principle doesn't follow Newtonian physics but does follow that of Einstein, yet you are still arguing using Newtonian thinking.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
typos.
  • Like 3

DieChecker

If this could be manufactured, it would make exploring the solar system humanly possible. And asteroid mining might be easier also.

mdbuilder

As far as I can tell, a magnetism based propulsion system is the only one that starts off with self-impelled motion.

paperdyer

You'd still have the "not ageing" issue relative to the Earth, correct? You'd age a little while the Eath ages more, right?

DieChecker

Relativity hasnt changed, so yeah, time would pass slower on a ship at relativistic speeds.

Jon the frog
On 10/19/2019 at 12:23 AM, paperdyer said:

You'd still have the "not ageing" issue relative to the Earth, correct? You'd age a little while the Eath ages more, right?

Choosing to go in interstellar travel mean that you leave behind what you let behind...One way colonization and exploration until death or fruition.  

NotAlien7

This is my theory, my idea NASA you better check my post right here on UNEXPLAINED is good enough.  Check my post here then contact me .

I have several versions of this idea and I come up with it years ago.