Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

Homeless men denied shelter in Japan typhoon

Recommended Posts

Still Waters

The Japanese prime minister has said typhoon shelters "should be open to everyone" - after two homeless people were turned away during the country's worst storm in decades.

Typhoon Hagibis brought heavy rain and winds of 225km/h (140mph) to Japan at the weekend, killing 66 people.

But when two homeless men tried to use a shelter in Tokyo, they were turned away as they did not have addresses.

The case has caused huge debate in Japan - with not everyone sympathetic.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-50052615

  • Sad 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Stiff

It may come across as harsh but I hope the people that turned the homeless away lose their houses in the typhoons. Karma's a b****.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
openozy

I don't think morality is high in a country that sells used knickers in vending machines.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
third_eye

Let's bear in mind that this unfortunate set of circumstance is merely the administrator following the rule laid down by and to the letter of the law, if anything it was the law that was sorely wanting and was not prepared for this set of unforeseeable situation back in the days. 

They were just doing their duty as they were directed and was allowed.

~

Edited by third_eye
Android keyboard
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
1 hour ago, openozy said:

I don't think morality is high in a country that sells used knickers in vending machines.

Well, the U.S. isn't any better, many homeless people could get benefits in their community only if they have an address.  There are churches and organizations that provide addresses for them but many fall through the cracks.  I am sure the same thing would happen in many cities in the U.S. during an emergency.  Maybe you could ask someone who was homeless in New Orleans during hurricane Katrina.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stiff
17 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Let's bear in mind that this unfortunate set of circumstance is merely the administrator following the rule laid down by and to the letter of the law, if anything it was the law that was sorely wanting and was not prepared for this set of unforeseeable situation back in the days. 

They were just doing their duty as they were directed and was allowed.

~

Fully agree with this but... Sometimes, just sometimes, in circumstances like this, humanity kicks in and a blind eye could be turned. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
third_eye
Just now, Stiff said:

Fully agree with this but... Sometimes, just sometimes, in circumstances like this, humanity kicks in and a blind eye could be turned. 

I agree, in fact everyone agrees, even Japan agrees, but that doesn't change what was until what changes what will be. 

Japan being Japan, they take their responsibilities with a heavy dose of honor and lays down their lives never lightly when it comes to culpability, so questioning their sense of morals is somewhat questionable, personally speaking, of course. 

~

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Scholar4Truth

From my reading on Japan it seems they treat homeless people differently then the USA. The homeless don't really interact with the public or ask for handouts as we see in other places. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spartan max2
6 hours ago, third_eye said:

Let's bear in mind that this unfortunate set of circumstance is merely the administrator following the rule laid down by and to the letter of the law, if anything it was the law that was sorely wanting and was not prepared for this set of unforeseeable situation back in the days. 

They were just doing their duty as they were directed and was allowed.

~

Took the words out of my mouth lol.

It turns into a dammed if you do, dammed if you don't situation. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
openozy
8 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

Well, the U.S. isn't any better, many homeless people could get benefits in their community only if they have an address.  There are churches and organizations that provide addresses for them but many fall through the cracks.  I am sure the same thing would happen in many cities in the U.S. during an emergency.  Maybe you could ask someone who was homeless in New Orleans during hurricane Katrina.

I don't understand the system there,a wealthy country that doesn't look after it's own with healthcare and assistance in emergencies but spends $$$$$$ on useless space travel etc.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
and then
9 hours ago, third_eye said:

They were just doing their duty as they were directed and was allowed.

Don't mean to poke you in the eye on this one but you DO realize where that argument was tried about 70 years ago, right?  Compassionate human beings don't leave a dog out in brutal cold or heat let alone another human.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
and then
14 minutes ago, openozy said:

a wealthy country that doesn't look after it's own with healthcare and assistance in emergencies

How did you come up with this idea?  The poorest of the poor here have a better life than most of the rest of the planet.  Better access to clean water, TOO MUCH food, and these days, employment IF they want it.  Do some slip through the cracks who aren't just lazy or crazy?  Sure.  It has always been that way, everywhere but if an American is consistently homeless and hungry then it's at least partially their fault.  There isn't a city in any state that won't provide food and shelter for people who ASK for it.  Granted, it won't be haute cuisine or a 5 star accommodation but it will be dry and comfortable and the food nutritious.  And NO ONE is turned away from an emergency room who needs trauma care.  They usually aren't turned away even for general aches, pains and flu.  It's that huge indigent share of hospital expense that makes the insurance the rest pay so expensive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
third_eye
3 minutes ago, and then said:

Don't mean to poke you in the eye on this one but you DO realize where that argument was tried about 70 years ago, right?  Compassionate human beings don't leave a dog out in brutal cold or heat let alone another human.

And yet you reserves the worse of the worse insults denigrating those disagreeable to you associating them with dogs, you poke at anything all you like, by my last count, you owe the regular members here on UM at least a dozen half a dozen promised apologies which as of yet, has yet to be seen, so, you and your opinions is worth as much as a dog's spit on a hot day with a foaming rabid pooch drowning in it's own poisoned blood to me. 

~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
openozy
1 minute ago, and then said:

How did you come up with this idea?

Only from people who live there.I don't know the politics but from disasters like in New Orleans and people having to go elsewhere for life saving surgery, it doesn't paint a pretty picture to us in Oz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
15 hours ago, openozy said:

I don't understand the system there,a wealthy country that doesn't look after it's own with healthcare and assistance in emergencies but spends $$$$$$ on useless space travel etc.

I don't resent the money spent on space travel, I resent the money spent on wars and paying our federal "representatives" to live like kings forever, even when they only served one term.  They get a free ride on health care and retirement and a 6 figure income while in office.  They have no clue about the people they are supposed to represent, instead spending more time selling their votes to corporations who have even less care about people.

I agree with you, and I do what I can to change things but it is not even a full drop in the bucket.

edit- Maybe I should have just said "Don't get me started"  :P

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.