Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Simples and Jedi added to English Dictionary

Still Waters

Whatevs, simples, chillax, sumfin and Jafaican have been added to the Oxford English Dictionary.

They are among 203 new words which appear in the dictionary for the very first time.

Other words which are part of the October 2019 update include Jedi, nomophobia and easy-breezy.

The letter 'O' has also been added and is defined as being "used to symbolise a hug especially at the end of a letter or greetings card".

Here are just some of the words that have been added to the latest update:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-50052420

• Like 1

That's a long list of additions! I'm quite surprised some of them weren't already in there. Suspicious.gif

Jedi? Well, it's only been around since 1977. It's good to see they've caught up. 

• Like 1

And it's also good to see that they're continuing the tradition of always being two or three years behind. If anyone, for example, still uses the word "simples" or "whatevs" it officially identifies them as an idiot, so one is legally entitled to slap them one. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

Jedi? Well, it's only been around since 1977. It's good to see they've caught up. 

And 'Kapow'? Mid 60's I'd guess.

48 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

Who even uses "chillax" anymore? 

I wasn't aware anyone ever used it.  Seen it written, never spoken.   Nor whatevs.    And I assume that sumfin is a mis-spelling of summat?

Edited by Essan

6 minutes ago, Essan said:

I wasn't aware anyone ever used it.  Seen it written, never spoken.   Nor whatevs.    And I assume that sumfin is a mis-spelling of summat?

Sumfin is a misspelling of something :tu:

I went and browsed over the list. In the article is some of the silliest stuff, but there was a lot of other much more serious and interesting words.

Can we also add others such as For Realz, or Dissing to the list in the dictionary.