Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Have we reached the limit of knowledge?

Still Waters

Despite huge advances in science over the past century, our understanding of nature is still far from complete. Not only have scientists failed to find the Holy Grail of physics – unifying the very large (general relativity) with the very small (quantum mechanics) – they still don’t know what the vast majority of the universe is made up of. The sought after Theory of Everything continues to elude us. And there are other outstanding puzzles, too, such as how consciousness arises from mere matter.

Will science ever be able to provide all the answers?

https://theconversation.com/human-intelligence-have-we-reached-the-limit-of-knowledge-124819

14 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

Despite huge advances in science over the past century, our understanding of nature is still far from complete. Not only have scientists failed to find the Holy Grail of physics – unifying the very large (general relativity) with the very small (quantum mechanics) – they still don’t know what the vast majority of the universe is made up of. The sought after Theory of Everything continues to elude us. And there are other outstanding puzzles, too, such as how consciousness arises from mere matter.

https://theconversation.com/human-intelligence-have-we-reached-the-limit-of-knowledge-124819

Yes it will. 

Bear in mind that back in the late 1800's, people where saying that Physics was closed :D 

Then some IDIOT discovered quantums in the back of his cupboard. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

If we don't hit another "filter" that Darwin's us out. Yes.

But we have yet to pass the filter of dangerous religions and nationalistic jealousy and paranoia. 

......and it's not looking good right now.  

• Like 1

Jeez... I reached mine when I turned 10. 

• Haha 4

Just now, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

Jeez... I reached mine when I turned 10. 

No you didn't.

Remember when I showed you, you didn't have to drink your own pee in the desert. :yes:

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Piney said:

No you didn't.

Remember when I showed you, you didn't have to drink your own pee in the desert. :yes:

But you didn't understand.... I liked my own pee, it was 50% proof.. 

• Haha 3

38 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

'Not only have scientists failed to find the Holy Grail of physics'

Quite the brazen claim there. It's only failing if you give up. 

To suggest we're at the limit of human knowledge - when scientific discoveries are being made every day - is patently ridiculous. I'm not a fan of that sort of thinking.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

dunno.

• Haha 2

The more we learn, the more we realise how little we know

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

The headline is even more misleading than usual.

1 hour ago, RoofGardener said:

Yes it will. 

Bear in mind that back in the late 1800's, people where saying that Physics was closed :D 

Then some IDIOT discovered quantums in the back of his cupboard. 

Yes... and then we'll find MORE questions to ask!

That's what I love about science!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Still Waters said:

I do not think science can provide any answers, let alone all.

In a physics text book I was reading recently the author, a physics teacher, said in the introduction that science can never prove theories, it can only disprove theories.  What this means is that all the theories science is acting on right now e.g. theories about global warming etc, have not been proven, can never be proven.  So science has provided absolutely no answers to anything, despite behaving as if it has.

5 hours ago, Still Waters said:

The sought after Theory of Everything continues to elude us.

How can we have a theory on everything, when we don't know everything?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kenemet said:

Yes... and then we'll find MORE questions to ask!

That's what I love about science!

Me too :)

But it's more than MY approval. It has been the evidence of the last 200 years :)

• Like 1

I guess there is an argument to suggest that human intelligence can only do so much before hitting a wall but if there is a real prospect of building A.I. that works then it could take over the push for more knowledge? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

I guess there is an argument to suggest that human intelligence can only do so much before hitting a wall but if there is a real prospect of building A.I. that works then it could take over the push for more knowledge? 

Nah.

AI can't come up with the WEIRD stuff that humans can come up with.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Still Waters said:

yep mankind has the knowledge to survive :)