Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Visiting interstellar comet photographed

UM-Bot

Did the astronomer that was quoted mistakingly claim this was the first interstellar visitor? Or did I misunderstand? Lol

16 hours ago, The___Piper said:

Did the astronomer that was quoted mistakingly claim this was the first interstellar visitor? Or did I misunderstand? Lol

What he said was,

This is the first comet known to science that arrived from outside the solar system, and it is completely similar to those we see inside the solar system

ʻOumuamua may have been the first interstellar object discovered  bit its status as a comet is still under debate. Hence Michal Drahus is correct, Borisov is the first known interstellar comet.

Hubble Observes 1st Confirmed Interstellar Comet

stsci-h-p1953a-f-1106x1106.png

NASA's Hubble Space Telescope has given astronomers their best look yet at an interstellar visitor — comet 2I/Borisov — whose speed and trajectory indicate it has come from beyond our solar system.

This Hubble image, taken on Oct. 12, 2019, is the sharpest view of the comet to date. Hubble reveals a central concentration of dust around the nucleus (which is too small to be seen by Hubble).

arrow3.gif Read More: NASA

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

The second mysterious interstellar object found zipping through the solar system, 2I/Borisov, looks like a run-of-the-mill comet, just what astronomers expected. That stands in stark contrast to the first known interstellar object, ‘Oumuamua. The second space rock seen visiting our solar system from another star is proving just how bizarre the first known interstellar object, ‘Oumuamua, really was.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/borisov-interstellar-visitor-makes-oumuamua-seem-even-odder?fbclid=IwAR2AjzHFP8g0RCIFB4ljL9NlKuOA8HOtrwNj-6YNg9J4cyBbtYyNjguqKow

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Passing water? Astronomers say they have detected a telltale trace of water on comet 2I/Borisov, the first known interstellar comet. If confirmed, it will be the first time water from another planetary system has been detected inside our solar system.

https://buff.ly/31UZ1VO