Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

SOS saves woman lost in outback for 3 days

Still Waters

Adelaide woman Deborah Pilgrim says the kindness of strangers who helped find her after three days lost in the bush is "overwhelming".

SA Police said Ms Pilgrim, 55, was found safe and well in dense mallee scrub in South Australia's eastern Mount Lofty Ranges about midnight last night.

The Surrey Downs woman had last been seen about 6:00am on Sunday after a party with friends at a campsite on a rural property near the town of Sedan.

Ms Pilgrim said she went for a walk and before she knew it, she was lost.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-16/missing-woman-deborah-pilgrim-found-near-sedan/11606206

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

That is what we were taught as children in case we got lost, make a marker that can be seen from a distance in the shape of SOS.  We spent a lot of time out in wilderness.

• Like 1

Went for a walk? Jeeze, that was some walk.

5 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

That is what we were taught as children in case we got lost, make a marker that can be seen from a distance in the shape of SOS.  We spent a lot of time out in wilderness.

We were also  taught never to wander off alone. 

1 minute ago, freetoroam said:

Went for a walk? Jeeze, that was some walk.

We were also  taught never to wander off alone. 

Yes, we were taught that too.  There were usually 3 or more of us playing and roaming.  My brother did wander off once when he was two.  The whole village was looking for him but two boys playing a few miles out found him.  They had been gone all day so they didn't know who's boy he was.  They were heroes when they brought him back.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Yes, we were taught that too.  There were usually 3 or more of us playing and roaming.  My brother did wander off once when he was two.  The whole village was looking for him but two boys playing a few miles out found him.  They had been gone all day so they didn't know who's boy he was.  They were heroes when they brought him back.

Oh my!! Two? Your poor mother and the rest of you must have been frantic. Just the thought is sending shivers down me. 

Thank goodness he was found and safe. 

I remember getting lost in Woolworths (showing my age now) when I was about 6, I was ok but I will never forget my mothers face as she saw me, with a sales assistant. She was relieved, but the initial look of absolute panic still sticks in my memory. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, freetoroam said:

Oh my!! Two? Your poor mother and the rest of you must have been frantic. Just the thought is sending shivers down me. 

Thank goodness he was found and safe. 

I remember getting lost in Woolworths (showing my age now) when I was about 6, I was ok but I will never forget my mothers face as she saw me, with a sales assistant. She was relieved, but the initial look of absolute panic still sticks in my memory. 

I lost my 3 year old in a clothing store once and the sales people were as panicked as I was, one ran out into the parking lot to see if someone took her and the other locked the door so no one could leave.  Eventually a man saw a bunch of women running around the store in a panic and asked if we were looking for a little girl.  She was sitting inside one of the circular clothing racks in the men's department.   I know exactly how your mother felt.

• Thanks 1

I hate ignorance and lack of respect for the environment you are in, people unprepared... and have no idea what they are getting into...

Consequence of actions, leave them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

I hate ignorance and lack of respect for the environment you are in, people unprepared... and have no idea what they are getting into...

Consequence of actions, leave them.

Sometimes people get lost and their loved ones want to find them.

3 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Sometimes people get lost and their loved ones want to find them.

Not in the outback or an extreme environment, ignorance isn't acceptable has an excuse. I am sure the loved ones want them back but if people are stupid, the loved ones should accept who's fault it was. 

• Like 1