Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Study: brain waves in babies predict Autism

spartan max2

Brain activity patterns in the first year of life may predict autism in infants at high risk for the condition, a new study suggests1.

Specifically, patterns in electroencephalography (EEG) signals at ages 3, 6, 9 and 12 months seem to distinguish autistic children.

The wave patterns in two frequency bands — delta and gamma — in the frontal lobe during the children’s first year distinguished the children with autism. The autistic children showed steeper increases in delta-wave power over that time than the typical children did, and slower increases in gamma-wave power.

https://www.spectrumnews.org/news/certain-patterns-of-brain-waves-in-babies-may-forecast-autism/

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very interesting. 

I was diagnosed with 'mild autism' because I didn't speak until I was four and was still bewildered as to how to tie my shoe laces until I was twelve. But at age eight, I was checking out medical textbooks from the library to study on my own. 

There is definitely something a bit different with our brain wiring. 

Edited by Not Your Huckleberry
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Not Your Huckleberry said:

There is definitely something a bit different with our brain wiring. 

More receptors and a faster rate of fire for one. 

4 minutes ago, Piney said:

More receptors and a faster rate of fire for one. 

It's a lot more complex than that, too. Someone not on the spectrum may interpret a situation completely differently from someone who is; their brains are simply wired to respond a certain way. You really have to train yourself if you want to be accepted, socially. It's like you have to learn how other people think, or how the average person not on the spectrum thinks. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Not Your Huckleberry said:

It's a lot more complex than that, too. Someone not on the spectrum may interpret a situation completely differently from someone who is; their brains are simply wired to respond a certain way. You really have to train yourself if you want to be accepted, socially. It's like you have to learn how other people think, or how the average person not on the spectrum thinks. 

No ****. I'm on the spectrum from a chromosomal disorder. Which means I have it bad. 

I was actually classified as mildly retarded in the 80s and was non-verbal. I still can't have a face to face with someone because of a speech hesitation and my thoughts won't pass to my mouth right. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Not Your Huckleberry said:

If you get bored sometime definitely look up brain differences in those with autism. It's pretty interesting. 

Their are many studies on it, I try to post them whenever a new one pops up.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Piney said:

No ****. I'm on the spectrum from a chromosomal disorder. Which means I have it bad. 

I was actually classified as mildly retarded in the 80s and was non-verbal. I still can't have a face to face with someone because of a speech hesitation and my thoughts won't pass to my mouth right. 

Whoops, I forgot you were on the spectrum! 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Piney said:

I had an autistic manager in a finance role and it was really quite challenging working under someone with that kind of problem. He was gifted at maths but not so good at managing a team of staff. Autism must be challenging, I can see that people with it dont really understand the different between their thinking patterns and the wider populations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Not Your Huckleberry said:

Whoops, I forgot you were on the spectrum! 

I was diagnosed with the "Asperger's" before the DSM changed autism to a spectrum. 

It looks like UM has a little population of us lol

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

I had an autistic manager in a finance role and it was really quite challenging working under someone with that kind of problem. He was gifted at maths but not so good at managing a team of staff. Autism must be challenging, I can see that people with it dont really understand the different between their thinking patterns and the wider populations.

Now this is something we can agree on. :lol:

The anti-vaxx morons won't be happy to hear about this. What will they try to say now, that parents who are vaccinated cause autism?

Edited by moonman
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, moonman said:

The anti-vaxx morons won't be happy to hear about this. What will they try to say now, that parents who are vaccinated cause autism?

Yep, also part of the reasons I post these threads haha.