Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Real-life 'blob' has 720 sexes but no brain

UM-Bot

What's in store for human evolution... all sex and no brain ...

~

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, third_eye said:

~

I thought we called that puberty

• Haha 3

Isn't that a slime mould? Pretty sure it is.
If so then there's no reason to treat it as this weird, new mystery thing. We've known about slime molds for some time.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Orphalesion said:

Isn't that a slime mould? Pretty sure it is.
If so then there's no reason to treat it as this weird, new mystery thing. We've known about slime molds for some time.

Yes, it’s just an ordinary slime mold.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physarum_polycephalum

Edited by Carnoferox
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, third_eye said:

~

Human only have 538 different sexes at the moment.  Oh, wait someone has just invented another ..... 539.    So, not too long to go.  

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, Talion78 said:

Could someone explain how the 720 sexes differ from each other

Fungi species often have a huge number of sexes (sometimes tens of thousands) but they aren't quite the same as our binary system of sexes, but more small differences in the genetic makeup.
Here is a short article that explains it quite well:

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-brief/2017/11/06/fungus-genders/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Essan said:

Human only have 538 different sexes at the moment.  Oh, wait someone has just invented another ..... 539.    So, not too long to go.  

This afternoon I'm feeling rather quasi-narcissistic-pansexually-indeterminate.  Is that on your list?  It's a recently recognised condition based on a thorough study of one patient (me) by a pseudoqualified practitioner (me) over an appropriate time period (earlier today).  As well as allowing me unlimited permission to bore disinterested strangers on the trains, it also permits me to urinate in public places - it's part of my identity.

Also as part of my new identity I demand the right to free food at McDonalds, and demand that it's vegan and fat-free.  And low in all those other things I don't understand.  And served by fellow qnpis.  And throw a hissyfit when I don't get my way.  IT'S MY IDENTITY SO BACK OFF YOU FASCIST NAZI PIGS.

In trying to squeeze me into one of your 539 categories you are actually a bigoted classificationist.  And that's against the 2010 Discrimination Act, so there: Essan is a classificationist.  I demand that everybody ignores him/her/them/they/it/twer/thum/shimalim/twumtwum until he/she/they/they/twert/thurum/bambalam/flickflack apologises.

• Haha 2

Interesting that blooby can heal it's self when cut in half  who thought"ah here's a blob, we know it's a multi sex now let chop it up and what happens..... after that we could hack some of its c*cks of pummel it's.....

2 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

Fungi species often have a huge number of sexes (sometimes tens of thousands) but they aren't quite the same as our binary system of sexes, but more small differences in the genetic makeup.

It's hard to get clicks with a title like "Real-life 'blob' has 720 possible combinations of reproduction compatibility but no brain"

13 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

It's hard to get clicks with a title like "Real-life 'blob' has 720 possible combinations of reproduction compatibility but no brain"

Yes, but that poster asked how slime mould sexes work, so I gave a rough explanation and linked an article that explains it more thoroughly. 
In general slime moulds are pretty interesting and freaky organisms.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Orphalesion said:

Hmmm I understand it, but I just have a different definition of what a sex is....my own thoughts are there's 3

You either carry half the genetics to create off spring. Depending on which half makes male or female or you carry both and can either self fertalise or need a mate.

Where is Steve McQueen when you need him?