Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Introvert or extrovert?

RoseDancer

On 10/18/2019 at 3:02 AM, RoseDancer said:

"An Ambivert is moderately comfortable with groups and social interaction, but also relishes time alone, away from a crowd. In other words, an ambivert is a person whose behaviour changes according to the situation they are in."

= Gwynbleidd

Usually I'm fine in a group and can come across as an extrovert in social and/or work situations, although, outside of that, I'm very much an introvert believe it or not. I think it depends on your mood also, well it does for me.  Especially if you're at some social event where you HAVE TO BE bubbly and outgoing when truthfully, you just feel like being anywhere else but where you are.  Sometimes I'm just not in the mood for other human beings at all.  I'm sure we all go through that though. LOL  :P   

• Like 2

On 10/17/2019 at 8:38 AM, RoseDancer said:

I was born an introvert and prefer a calm, minimally stimulating environment. I tend to feel overwhelmed in crowds and drained after socializing, only able to regain my energy by spending time alone. 

Introvert or extrovert, how did you realise your type and how do you cope/deal with it?

An interesting comment with regard to 'how do you cope/deal with it.' My initial response is do you see your belief as somehow self-defeating? To put this question in a simpler ABC context; as we encounter an Activating event (e.g. crowds, socializing) our Beliefs filter our perceptions resulting in Consequences. These consequences are our actions and attitude. The activating events are always present, but we can alter a belief to bring about a different attitude. While it is important to maintain a viable social support system, as it is arguably the best protection from stress and the consequences of stress, a social support system is not the same as socializing nor being in crowded settings. If your goals are to be better at socializing and being in crowded settings, then establishing small incremental steps to move yourself towards those two goals helps build confidence in meeting those goals and changing some beliefs. That said, there is indeed much to be said of those individuals who can spend time alone, listening to the land and whispering magic in the ear of a wild stallion.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2019 at 4:38 PM, RoseDancer said:

I was born an introvert and prefer a calm, minimally stimulating environment. I tend to feel overwhelmed in crowds and drained after socializing, only able to regain my energy by spending time alone. 

Introvert or extrovert, how did you realise your type and how do you cope/deal with it?

Ocean personality profiling:

Openness to Experience: Are you curious and inventive? Or cautious and set in your ways?

Conscientiousness: Are you efficient and organised? Or easy going and careless?

Extroversion: Are you outgoing and expressive? Or solitary and reserved?

Agreeableness: If you see something you know isn't right would you follow (agreeableness) or speak out and oppose (disagreeableness)?

Neuroticism: Are you sensitive and nervous, or secure and confident?

If you are curious and inventive, efficient and organised, a little outgoing and expressive, a little disagreeable, secure and confident in yourself, then your chances of climbing high in life are the highest.

If you are too extroverted though, and too disagreeable, you are more likely to end up in prison for crimes committed due to anti-social personality disorder. ASPD is usually the driver behind high extroversion and results in high levels of disagreeableness (not because they see something that is wrong, but because they are aggressive and entitled).

If you are neurotic (sensitive and nervous) you are more likely to struggle getting anywhere due to running away from instances where someone upsets you.

Edited by RabidMongoose

Ambivert.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Recently, I had to take the MBTI personality test. What I've learned from one of the test's representatives who did a presentation on how to interpret your answers, we're naturally inclined to be either introverted or extroverted. However, introvert/extrovert are extremes of a single scale where we all fall somewhere. Depending on the situation, we fluctuate away from our "baseline" point. I'm pretty introverted myself but there are times when I'm more extroverted. It all depends on the situation.

• Like 1