Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Still Waters

Sainsbury's first to stop selling fireworks

Still Waters

Sainsbury's has become the first major UK supermarket to stop selling fireworks across its stores.

The retail giant, which first opened 150 years ago, said it made the decision following a review of its products.

The supermarket confirmed on social media it would not be selling fireworks in any of its 2,300 stores.

Sainsbury's move has been welcomed by pet and elderly charities, who say the explosions can cause distress.

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-10-18/sainsbury-s-becomes-first-major-uk-supermarket-to-stop-selling-fireworks/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50094658

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

RoofGardener

No problemo. I get mine from Tesco's, Lidl and The Range :) 

4365_215.jpg

Edited by RoofGardener

Still Waters

It's possible other supermarkets will follow suit.

• Like 1

RoofGardener

Noooooooooo :o

Well, there's always First Galaxy Fireworks :) 

9025.jpg

• Like 1

RabidMongoose
4 hours ago, Still Waters said:

Sainsbury's has become the first major UK supermarket to stop selling fireworks across its stores.

The retail giant, which first opened 150 years ago, said it made the decision following a review of its products.

The supermarket confirmed on social media it would not be selling fireworks in any of its 2,300 stores.

Sainsbury's move has been welcomed by pet and elderly charities, who say the explosions can cause distress.

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-10-18/sainsbury-s-becomes-first-major-uk-supermarket-to-stop-selling-fireworks/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50094658

Has the nanny state (or supermarkets in this case) really got that bad?

I like sugar in my Coke and Iron Bru, I like plastic cups, and I sure as hell will be setting off fireworks on bonfire night.

RabidMongoose
4 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Noooooooooo :o

Well, there's always First Galaxy Fireworks :) 

9025.jpg

There`s a fun evening there.

stevewinn

Fireworks never found them entertaining. In fact if I never seen another one I wouldn't care. Waste of money. £ gone up in smoke literally 

• Like 3

L.A.T.1961

I have bought a few fireworks over the last 3/4 years from them as it was convenient, last year my local store had reduced the range available to less than half of the previous year. I usually by a few and keep one for new year.

Not as they are as good as years ago, before nanny state started banning big ones for public sale.  

I used to buy from a pet shop that imported from China, many would now be classed as professional display fireworks and no longer available.

bee
On 10/18/2019 at 3:04 PM, Still Waters said:

I get worried about the birds and wild animals as well... and what they must go through when there
are VERY loud explosions... 

• Thanks 1

Susanc241

Apart from thinking that fireworks are much like tobacco products - just burning money and injurious to health - I do wonder why they can’t all be the quiet/silent ones.  I understand such things exist, or is that fake news, again?  Fortunately my dog doesn’t seem much bothered by thunder or fireworks and I know she isn’t deaf.  She practically puts her nose on the vacuum when it is on, out of curiosity with no concern for the noise.  But many pets are terrified.

• Thanks 1

ExpandMyMind
On 10/20/2019 at 10:15 AM, Susanc241 said:

Apart from thinking that fireworks are much like tobacco products - just burning money and injurious to health - I do wonder why they can’t all be the quiet/silent ones.  I understand such things exist, or is that fake news, again?  Fortunately my dog doesn’t seem much bothered by thunder or fireworks and I know she isn’t deaf.  She practically puts her nose on the vacuum when it is on, out of curiosity with no concern for the noise.  But many pets are terrified.

My dog is terrified by both. I'm going to have to put something loud on the TV and keep the windows shut.

Susanc241
40 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

My dog is terrified by both. I'm going to have to put something loud on the TV and keep the windows shut.

In the news today an 18 week puppy is said to have died of fright causing a heart attack during last Saturday's bombardment.  We had both the town display and the nearby theme park on the go at the same time, both venues under a mile from my home.  I know I am so lucky my dog is barely bothered.  She will lift her head at the loudest/sharpest cracks, but that is all. 

It might seem obvious and I am not being trite, but try to keep yourself calm and not get anxious about how your dog might react.  I am sure they pick up on it and it makes them worse.  Good luck tonight.

• Thanks 1