Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

People urged to feed bread to ducks and swans

Still Waters

There are urgent calls for people to start feeding bread to ducks, swans and geese again - because the birds are dying of starvation.

Recent campaigns have seen people urged not to throw bread into duckponds amid claims the food is not good for wild birds.

But there are now claims the park pond favourites are dying because people have stopped feeding them.

Posters have been placed in parks up and down the UK, urging: "It's OK to feed us bread!", 

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/people-urged-feed-bread-ducks-3440946

A sign urging people to feed “starving” ducks with bread has gone viral and sparked a heated debate about whether it is in the animals’ best interests.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/oct/18/feed-the-ducks-bread-sign-sparks-heated-online-debate

• Like 2

At least make it whole grain bread-- and break it up small for them-- they've got no teeth!

• Like 1

Yes, bread's good and some seeds and grains, rice, corn, quite a few different things. Bird feed. Even some fruits and veggies.

You can't have them starving to death!

I used to go to park when I was little and feed the ducks all the time. A fond memory.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, zygote_myles said:

Yes, bread's good and some seeds and grains, rice, corn, quite a few different things. Bird feed. Even some fruits and veggies.

You can't have them starving to death!

Uncooked rice can kill them.  It expands in their stomach when they drink water.  

We go to the  dollar store and get bags of bird feed to feed them.  They crowd around like crazy.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, glorybebe said:

We go to the  dollar store and get bags of bird feed to feed them.  They crowd around like crazy

Years back My wife was in a thrift store and i made my rounds quickly i was waiting in the car restless and tossing old fires to black birds that were hanging in the parking lot, so i went in the dollar store and bought a couple bags sunflower bird seeds fairly large bags and well I start tossing it out where no cars were parked a few dozen turned in several 100 perhaps over 1000 going nuts, gulls and pidgons joined, the area was all birds like out of a hickcocks movie,  i go hide in the car,

Here comes my wife with that "you did it didn't up smirk" seems people in the thrift store were all freaked out upset over it...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, glorybebe said:

Uncooked rice can kill them.  It expands in their stomach when they drink water.  

Not true. Old wives tale. 

Best not feed the swans at all .... just down the road from me they wander into the road hold the traffic up and somtime get run over, however there's a few feral black swans that actually nested and laid eggs next to the footpath but alas egg collector's came along a nicked the eggs