Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New 'invisibility cloak' is remarkably effect

UM-Bot

Getting there...

predator-invisible-camo.jpg.7511027377a6dfbee67123c00a14cd5e.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Harry Potter approves :P

• Haha 1

Very cool.

Edited by cathya
  • Like 2

Very cool. I fiddle around with optical illusions (and mirrors) for example u can take something like large vanity mirror, put in middle of forest, almost easily create illusion of invisibility. I'm curious if there's another cloak on opposite side of wall. Illusions can be wickedly deceptive yet simple.

Edited by Bed of chaos
  • Like 1

I want some! Hopefully a few talented visual artists will get to play with it in the near future. I'd love to see this stuff in museums much more than as a tool of warfare...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Robotic Jew said:

I need this for my desk at work!

I needed this for my office before I retired Now I need  it for my "man cave".

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bed of chaos said:

Very cool. I fiddle around with optical illusions (and mirrors) for example u can take something like large vanity mirror, put in middle of forest, almost easily create illusion of invisibility. I'm curious if there's another cloak on opposite side of wall. Illusions can be wickedly deceptive yet simple.

The headless living lady a famous sideshow illusion is done something like that, oops spoiler.

16 hours ago, Robotic Jew said:

I need this for my desk at work!

I need the exact opposite - a screen that makes it look like I'm actually at work!  Something life-size, made out of lightweight material like a large board of... card?  And then cut to shape.  Wow! I'm gonna patent this technology as soon as I perfect it.  Now, if only I had a catchy name for this?  

wrt the material - it certainly is clever: the screen is collecting light from the edges at the back of the curve and carrying it to the front.  This is very much the way fibre-optic bundles have been used in endoscopes for decades, but I suspect these screens use thin sheets.  Note how it needs a certain radius of curvature to achieve Total Internal Reflection along the material.

I can't see all the claims http://www.hyperstealth.com/Quantum-Stealth/ makes as realistic.  First - and this is an inevitable consequence of the nature of this design - the light collected from a small area must be transmitted across a larger area, so will be dimmer.  The human eye/brain is remarkably good at ignoring this but a computerised sensor wouldn't be fooled.  Whilst it wouldn't detect what was being hidden it would know a shield was there.  Secondly - this (as shown) can work from one direction: you can't surround yourself with a cylinder of this material to hide from every line of sight. 

Then specifically: Scenario 1 would require a frame to drape the material across to keep the curved shape.  Scenario 2 wouldn't work - the sensors would measure the drop in light intensity described above, and the troops aren't shielded from the sides or back.  Scenario 3 is highly plausible.  Scenario 4 - not sure about this; I'd need to do some calculations to factor in the refractive index of water to determine how effective any shielding might be.  Scenarios 5, 6 & 7 could be overcome with some basic triangulation - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acoustic_location for more details.

Definitely cool, but as a summary here's a quote from the Q & A with their CEO:

Isn’t there a risk that someone else may figure this out or copy what you’ve done? Yes, but I’ve already developed a countermeasure for Quantum Stealth so we would be able to detect anyone else with something identical or similar to Quantum Stealth.

So the issues I've raised have all been recognised.  Final point!  That conversation is dated 2012!

Hope someone with a bit more physics knowledge reads this and corrects all my mistakes.  XxX

Wow. I wonder if one can buy a small paper-sized sheet of it to play around with, or, maybe it's restricted or too expensive.

• Like 1

honestly big deal. see how the "cloak" has to be curved? well there is a focal point of that curve and its about 20 inches behind it. when objects are close to it it doesnt work. its probably that plastic that has those groves in it that they use for those 3D shifting illusions on kids toys...the ones that you look at one way and then as you move your head side to side the image shifts and looks 3D.

cool, but definitely not high tech.

So where can I buy this, I mean I am going to war in females locker rooms, I need to hide, you know data gathering mostly photographic stuff