Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Growing after those Growth Plates have Fused

Duke Wellington

The current position in medical science is that when our growth plates have fused that further bone lengthening growth is impossible. Increasing height can still be done by the bone thickening mechanism but it takes longer and the growth is smaller in altitude. It also turns things like legs into girthy tree trunks.

I have been working in a very hot environment for the last week and have had 2 days of dehydration which reduced my sleep to 4 hours on the first night, and 6 on the 2nd. It wasn't until the 3rd night I had fully managed to rehydrate and got 12 hours sleep as a result. My dehydration was acute with very little urine being passed and light coloured stools. I also put on a lot of weight on those first few days which I think was my metabolism scaling back due to the dehydration or my digestion system going into pause.

Anyway, during that 3rd night of `catch up sleep` I woke up in the morning thinner and 2 inches taller. I am 41. That breaks medical science. I suspect that during my catch up sleep I got a huge surge of hormones which also burned off that weight I had gained. I dont think it was a surge of human growth hormone that made me taller (although that surge would have happened) because experiments with that done cause bone lengthening after the fusion of growth plates.

I think there is an known but unidentified hormone important to bone lengthening that caused it. Does anybody have any medical knowledge about what that hormone or mechanism might be? I do not have any pituitary gland issues so its not that.

I've had lifelong insomnia. Four hours is pretty much my norm and that's with meds. I'd shank my brother for six hours of sleep. Glad you're doing better.

• Haha 1

Even when your growth plates aren't fused you don't just suddenly grow 2 inches in a day. I'm assuming there was a mismeasurement here.

• Like 3

Who measures their height one day to the next? Why would you?

No, your bones did not extend two inches overnight. That is flawed logic. If anything other than mistaken measurement, it's joint expansion from re-hydration and rest, not permanent bone growth.

First Google hit explains it all. A little research trumps assumption yet again.

https://knowledgestew.com/2015/03/why-youre-taller-in-morning-and-shorter.html

Edited by moonman
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, RabidMongoose said:

The current position in medical science is that when our growth plates have fused that further bone lengthening growth is impossible. Increasing height can still be done by the bone thickening mechanism but it takes longer and the growth is smaller in altitude. It also turns things like legs into girthy tree trunks.

I have been working in a very hot environment for the last week and have had 2 days of dehydration which reduced my sleep to 4 hours on the first night, and 6 on the 2nd. It wasn't until the 3rd night I had fully managed to rehydrate and got 12 hours sleep as a result. My dehydration was acute with very little urine being passed and light coloured stools. I also put on a lot of weight on those first few days which I think was my metabolism scaling back due to the dehydration or my digestion system going into pause.

Anyway, during that 3rd night of `catch up sleep` I woke up in the morning thinner and 2 inches taller. I am 41. That breaks medical science. I suspect that during my catch up sleep I got a huge surge of hormones which also burned off that weight I had gained. I dont think it was a surge of human growth hormone that made me taller (although that surge would have happened) because experiments with that done cause bone lengthening after the fusion of growth plates.

I think there is an known but unidentified hormone important to bone lengthening that caused it. Does anybody have any medical knowledge about what that hormone or mechanism might be? I do not have any pituitary gland issues so its not that.

Maybe your neck and spine were compressed and that extra sleep you got relaxed them enough to give you your normal height back.