Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Orbs, some definitive evidence that they are -

macqdor

Orbs, some definitive evidence that they are not paranormal

The orb has become well established within amateur paranormal research as evidence of some formof spirit manifestation or interaction. This paper looks at the history of orb photography, the technology of the digital camera and introduces some of the claims being made for the paranormality oforbs. A series of studies which took place from 1998 to 2003 have led to a greater understanding of the method of orb production as a normal part of the camera operation but did not generally affect the perception of orbs having a paranormal cause within the paranormal and wider community. Anew experimental study commenced in 2009 made use of a newly developed stereo digital camera which subsequently was able to demonstrate conclusively that orbs are produced by well understood means rather than paranormal anomalies..................................................

https://www.academia.edu/7241792/Orbs_Some_Definitive_Evidence_That_They_Are_Not_Paranormal?email_work_card=view-paper

Cool, i never thought orbs were paranormal.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, XenoFish said:

No, that wasn't a bias link at all.:rolleyes:

So you read it? Can you give us a break down?

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Says I have to sign up to read the article?

Yeah, got the same thing. Not signing up to read it. :no:

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

So you read it? Can you give us a break down?

It's a link to Paranthropology Journal containing numerous articles, and I have yet to find the one the OP quoted from. The articles are difficult to copy and paste, otherwise I would PM the one referenced.

• Like 1

One of the problems with extraordinary experiences, academia, and the dominance of a rational-materialist scientific hierarchy, is that researchers are at risk of being penalized for studying subject matter others deem unworthy, particularly if they are not studying them in the ‘right’ way. To take a position that does not orientate to a rational-materialist stance on the authenticity of extraordinary experiences can be seen as deviant or misguided. Can't believe I had to fix what they wrote. They need a spell checker.

It is not that the subject is unworthy, it is that it people will create false results, the hoaxer, and those who's confirmation bias colors their view. They set up poor testing methods that give all too often, false positives. 

As we looked closer at the range of experiences we were collecting, and reading about, we felt that there was undoubtedly a special quality to these en-counters and their resonance within the lives of their experiences. The work of David Young and Jean-Guy Goulet was hugely influential, particularly their edited collection (1994) about the extraordinary experiences recalled and examined by anthropologists dur-ing their fieldwork. In many of these instances, the anthropologists recalled extraordinary experiences that they shared with their informants, which subsequently had profound effects upon their own worldview

The problem with collecting experiences is that they are anecdotal and are subject to intention/unintentional change. I get the feeling in many of these experience researchers are trying to quantify objectively something that is subjective. 

That's just some of it. It's mostly wordy filler with no real importance. If people were honestly looking to research into paranormal and supernatural claims, I'd think the area of neuroscience and psychology would be the way to go. 

• Like 1

There's more. It's basically the whole magazine. Goes into things like mediumship, mesmerism, indian ghost (always a favorite). The whole thing is heavily bias towards the paranormal/supernatural without much critical thoughts towards the subject matter. Reiki healing, negative energy patterns, etc. Basically going over a magical placebo effect. 

The above alludes to the prevalence of Reiki insome US hospitals and its growing incorporation incomplementary healings practices as noted by nursesand their trainings. Furthermore, the terms ‘magic’and ‘biomedical’ have been problematized in regardsto the overall dissemination, popular understanding,and narratives surrounding Reiki. However, despitetrends by Reiki practitioners to situate Reiki withinthe purely scientific in popular literature, there is stilla tinge of the magical that the overall Reiki commu-nity, if such can even be discussed, has not aban-doned. Non-rational and biomedial explanations areboth considered for Reiki’s purpose and effectiveness,perceived or otherwise, though the difficulties im-posed by empirical testing situate the modality morein the realm of the magical from at least an Ameri-can perspective. As such, further questions remain asto the broader question of Reiki’s place the hospital. I'm not fixing this.

Reikiseems to be fulfilling a real need in the patients.

Basically Reiki is nothing more than touch therapy and a placebo effect. 

When you finally get down to page 44. (Thank Keith, you did a real good job pointing to where you want us to read at) that's where the Orb section is.

This comprehensive survey demonstrates thatorbs are produced by airborne material, locatedclose to camera and within a range of angles thatpermits the light from the flash to be reflectedback towards the lens axis and strongly supportsthe orb zone hypothesis proposed by ASSAP andothers and provides long overdue evidence thattheir origin lies firmly within the mundane andexplainable, not the paranormal or supernatural.Before concluding it is also worth bearing inmind those original statistical claims made byparanormal groups that 1% or 2% of all orb pic-tures represent paranormal orbs. The survey todate has captured over 600 orbs so it might beexpected that we should find between 6 and12that were anomalous, potentially therefore para-normal. The survey found that all 630 orb pic-tures obtained in the survey were readily ex-plained using the stereo photography technique.Statistically speaking that is 0% paranormal but 100% explainable. Someone need to re-calibrate their papa meter.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

@preacherman76 Does that answer your question about me having read it. Because everything I have quoted is from it.

Yeah that works for me. I never put any stock in orbs being a thing anyway. I seen a couple that seemed odd, but really nothing to write home about. 

• Like 2