Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Qantas completes longest non-stop flight

Still Waters

Australian carrier Qantas has completed a test of the longest non-stop commercial passenger flight as part of research on how the journey could affect pilots, crew and passengers.

The Boeing 787-9 with 49 people on board took 19 hours and 16 minutes to fly from New York to Sydney, a 16,200-km (10,066-mile) route.

Next month, the company plans to test a non-stop flight from London to Sydney.

Qantas expects to decide on whether to start the routes by the end of 2019.

If it goes ahead with them, the services would start operating in 2022 or 2023.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-50114049

https://news.sky.com/story/after-10-000-miles-and-19-hours-worlds-longest-flight-lands-in-sydney-11840142

• Like 1

That's one long ass flight.  Literally. 19 hours. 

10 hours ago, Still Waters said:

Australian carrier Qantas has completed a test of the longest non-stop commercial passenger flight as part of research on how the journey could affect pilots, crew and passengers.

I know exactly how I'd be affected on that flight.  I'd be scratching at the walls to get out.  I'm afraid a 10 hour flight is my limit.  I don't like being locked up in a metal tube flying through the air for too long.  I've always wished teleportation was an option for traveling. :P 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gwynbleidd said:

That's one long ass flight.  Literally. 19 hours. 

I know exactly how I'd be affected on that flight.  I'd be scratching at the walls to get out.  I'm afraid a 10 hour flight is my limit.  I don't like being locked up in a metal tube flying through the air for too long.  I've always wished teleportation was an option for traveling. :P 

Add an extra 250 people.  Getting up to mover around is a bit difficult when you can't move.

• Thanks 1

My family gets claustrophobic on long flights. 19 hours nonstop would drive them up a wall and lose all sanity :P