Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Edison and the Ghost Machine

macqdor

"I have been at work for some time building an apparatus to see if it is possible for personalities which have left this earth to communicate with us": Those are the words of the great inventor Thomas Edison in an interview in the October 1920 issue of The American Magazine. And in those days, when Edison spoke, people listened. By any measurement, Thomas Edison was a superstar in his time, a brilliant inventor during the height of the Industrial Revolution when man was mastering machine. Called "The Wizard of Menlo Park" (which has since been renamed Edison, New Jersey), he was one of history's most prolific inventors, holding 1,093 U.S. patents. He and his workshop were responsible for the creation or development of many devices that changed the way people lived, including the electric light bulb, the motion picture camera and projector, and the phonograph.

https://www.liveabout.com/edison-and-the-ghost-machine-2594017

For such a man of science, it turns out Edison was very interested in the afterlife, entranced with it in fact, and had big theories as to what it all entailed. In his eyes, life after death was not the way perhaps many may envision it. His theory was that there was basically a set amount of life in the universe, and that it could not be created or destroyed, much like the conservation of energy or mass laws in thermodynamics. This life, he surmised, came in the form of myriads of infinitesimal entities, each a separate consciousness, which acted much like atoms do with matter, forming the smallest building blocks of life as we know it. According to him, the individual consciousnesses in each person were made up of unique patterns of these tiny entities, which grouped together in swarms within the Broca area of the brain to form our “soul,” so to speak. He believed that death came when these tiny entities disagreed, and that they could go onto exist beyond the physical body, saying of his thoughts on the matter:

https://mysteriousuniverse.org/2019/10/thomas-edison-and-the-mysterious-spirit-phone/?fbclid=IwAR1LfmEJMF2XYvRPl9BRyHK-BlPRAdxEMQzrG9ja3p8pzOqbhDaGQOOxSEc

@papageorge1

• Like 1

3 hours ago, macqdor said:

I'll go you one better as I have seen spirit communication device designs sketched by Edison apparently after his death imprinted onto sealed photographic tapes during a séance. It was from a serious and respected group. Here's a link The Scole Experiment and Thomas Edison

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here are a few newspaper clippings.

1921 - North Dakota article

nd1921.png

1921 - Mississippi article

mi1921.png

• Like 1

12 hours ago, macqdor said:

I hope that Edison is a tough guy, because I would bet that Tesla is kicking his ass all over the after life for stealing his patents on electrical power generators and many other things.

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

I'll go you one better as I have seen spirit communication device designs sketched by Edison apparently after his death imprinted onto sealed photographic tapes during a séance. It was from a serious and respected group. Here's a link The Scole Experiment and Thomas Edison

If the spirit was giving designs then it was probably whoever Edison stole it from.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

If the spirit was giving designs then it was probably whoever Edison stole it from.

I don't understand. Why couldn't it be Edison working with others?

1 minute ago, papageorge1 said:

I don't understand. Why couldn't it be Edison working with others?

Oh I was just making a lame joke based on Edisons reputation for stealing others' work

Just now, Farmer77 said:

Oh I was just making a lame joke based on Edisons reputation for stealing others' work

Gotcha. Spiritual Tesla was probably the real genius behind it!

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Sadly that joke isn't so lame, Edison was a brilliant inventor. However, it can be very difficult to identify what he truly invented and what he took from others who were working for him like Tesla. While it's never been publicized, I would bet that Tesla wasn't the only one taken advantage of, I suspect Tesla was just the most famous.

JIMO

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

Gotcha. Spiritual Tesla was probably the real genius behind it!

Tesla built his Spirit Radio in 1901, and he claims when he first turned on it Scared the Hell out Him. The link below is Teslas Ghost Radio

https://gizmodo.com/build-the-spirit-radio-that-creeped-out-tesla-himself-5390059

The link below is to Edisons Ghost in the Machine which was built in 1919 or 1920.

https://www.liveabout.com/edison-and-the-ghost-machine-2594017

Check out the similarities between the two devises, while Teslas looks more primitive and Edisons looks more well made the devises and the principles they operate on are basically the same. Did Edison copy Tesla, I beleive he did but I suppose we will never know for sure.

Edited by Manwon Lender
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Manwon Lender said:

I hope that Edison is a tough guy, because I would bet that Tesla is kicking his ass all over the after life for stealing his patents on electrical power generators and many other things.

Tesla didnt care he was about making stuff happen not the money he died broke in dept and written off as lost it,

Edison was very practical in his ideas that why he and tesla parted ways on ac vs dc,

Oh yeah, ghost machines doesnt work.

21 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Tesla didnt care he was about making stuff happen not the money he died broke in dept and written off as lost it,

Edison was very practical in his ideas that why he and tesla parted ways on ac vs dc,

Oh yeah, ghost machines doesnt work.

That's not exactly true, Tesla did care about money. The reason was because without it he could not continue to build the necessary equipment to transmit electricity wireless. When that project fell apart because of a lack of funding that was the beginning of the end for him. You are right he did die broke in a little apartment, where he was teaching physics to injured Pigeons he was taking care of as crazy as that sounds.

Edison, while he was very practical he also stole other people's designs and patented them. I never much cared for him, because it is impossible to tell what he invented and what he stole from employees like he did with Tesla. Anyway Tesla kicked his ass when it came to any form of electrical power generation. Most people don't know it but Tesla designed and built the Electric Motor, and every Electric motor built today is still built off his design. In addition the design Tesla made has never been improved upon to this day.

i do agree that there are no Ghosts in the machines these men built. The design is really simple, the link I provided above explains what components are needed and how to build it. I know your pretty good at building things maybe you could built one and let us know what happens. I would do it but I have no where to work, I think it would be very cool.

Take Care Partner

• Like 2

I think we might be playing with words i still dont believe tesla cared about money, while he needed it to do stuff he seemed fine just working, and being fed, he certainly wasn't like the guys trying to get rich off stuff he gave away millions,

His electric motor ( AC ) played a part in his dropping out or getting kicked out of school telling his instructor he would build an AC motor and his instructor saying, no you won't,

It ate him up until he made it happen, he did things in his head made it work there first, I relate, I'm no tesla not close but in my gearhead hobby world i thought nothing of wiring customs from scratch, no diagrams no instructions just in my head,  some old timer in the biz would get really upset over it,

I recall an episode of "beyond bizarre" they had a ghost machine saying in a ratty Hawkins type voice how great it would be not just to hear the ghost speak but to see it too,

I believe Edison was trying to surf the big interest in mediums at the time.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, the13bats said:

I think we might be playing with words i still dont believe tesla cared about money, while he needed it to do stuff he seemed fine just working, and being fed, he certainly wasn't like the guys trying to get rich off stuff he gave away millions,

His electric motor ( AC ) played a part in his dropping out or getting kicked out of school telling his instructor he would build an AC motor and his instructor saying, no you won't,

It ate him up until he made it happen, he did things in his head made it work there first, I relate, I'm no tesla not close but in my gearhead hobby world i thought nothing of wiring customs from scratch, no diagrams no instructions just in my head,  some old timer in the biz would get really upset over it,

I recall an episode of "beyond bizarre" they had a ghost machine saying in a ratty Hawkins type voice how great it would be not just to hear the ghost speak but to see it too,

I believe Edison was trying to surf the big interest in mediums at the time.

Tesla really didn't need schooling anyway, his thought process was beyond those who were teaching him, so I could easily see him get in trouble .

Back to what I was saying why don't you build one of Teslas Ghost Radios, can't be very hard to do. I looked at the design and components and it wouldn't cost much. With your experience it should be easy, and I am serious about that. Hell you could probably sell it to Papa or someone else on the forum after you try it out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Manwon Lender said:

Tesla really didn't need schooling anyway, his thought process was beyond those who were teaching him, so I could easily see him get in trouble .

Back to what I was saying why don't you build one of Teslas Ghost Radios, can't be very hard to do. I looked at the design and components and it wouldn't cost much. With your experience it should be easy, and I am serious about that. Hell you could probably sell it to Papa or someone else on the forum after you try it out.

I have a lot of projects in different stages of um work, yeah work,

Never thought to build his ghost radio it would predate solid state hum,

Now a guy i knew "billy" reminded me of max from mary and max he couldn't grasp how to change brake discs on his cycle, so i did it,  he sat at his coffee table work bench talking to me and 20 mins and with a bunch of cast off electronics trash whipped up a circuit board with a small brass tuning screw, that could run on 1.5 , 9 or 12v dc,

It also had a long wire, and small speaker, I asked what it it? He said FM transmitter, it was and worked, only about 20 ft but worked,

whosoever built it. I'd buy it.

@Manwon Lender

On 10/22/2019 at 3:19 AM, macqdor said:

whosoever built it. I'd buy it.

@Manwon Lender

If you do a search for Teslas ghost radio, you will some for sale. I saw one that cost $89, and was an exact copy of Teslas.

Take care.