Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghost?

Atown

1.  The 'thing' doesn't have a light source.  It's an IR night vision camera that uses Infrared LEDs, so anything reasonably close to the camera gets over-exposed ... plus if the object is warm, it's very bright compared to the background..

2. Such cameras use SLOW shutter speeds, so in each frame the object is blurred.  These cameras while operating at night WILL NOT show wing beats, just blurs.  Because of that motion blurring, it also makes the object's shape very difficult to determine, and the object will appear larger, ie stretched in the direction of motion.

Moth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I think the moth was trying to fly towards the reflected light at the end of the room.

light1.png

When the moth got half way there, the reflected light could no longer be seen from that angle, and he made a sharp turn and flew away.

moth2.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Aaron2016 said:

I think the moth was trying to fly towards the reflected light at the end of the room.

That's a good idea, but...

- the reflection is probably of the camera's IR leds.  It's invisible to human eyes, and ...

- while insect eyes vary in what they are sensitive to, it's unlikely, as most insect life has vision skewed to towards UV (ie the other end of the spectrum).

On trail cams and other security cameras like this one, I can't say I recall ever seeing a moth going straight for the LEDs.  I don't think they see them.

15 hours ago, Atown said:

Actually this camera sends a notification to our cell phones when movement is detected. My parents live 1 mile away and 85 year old grandma does not move fast...hence the reason the video is so short. 

So when the moth flew it buzzed your phone...makes sense.

15 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

Were Aaron's moth photos taken indoors on a granny cam? Be more skeptical bats instead of jumping to every normal conclusion you hear. But you are a true 'natural' believer. (notice how I flipped our usual narrative)

And actually I just had my mom on a granny cam for dementia. Motion detection is used to instantly alert remote relatives. I certainly don't think a moth would look like that on a granny cam or even move that fast or even alert motion detection. I can't know that with certainty so the old meter gave the moth possibility still a healthy chance.

As far as nursing homes whats allowed and nanny cams buzzing phones ill just keep my opinions to myself to avoid furor.

As far as me being a "true believer" that's not accurate, i am open for evidence, both Aaron and chrlzs posted great evidence this isnt paranormal,

I dont jump to the non paranormal explanations those prosaic, mundain explainations jump off the page at me.

• 4 months later...

It's an insect, probably a fast flying moth. I slowed the video down to 1/4 speed to study it. If you search videos for flying insects caught on night camera, you will see several examples. In the video below, note the 0.12 and 0.19 time marks.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2019 at 12:17 AM, Atown said:

https://youtu.be/YaKHoX2UEeY

This video was taken at my grandma's house through one of her security cameras. 

It honestly looks like a bat to me, even if you don't see them flying around they could be hanging out some where in the house.

Watched it a few times now maybe a stink bug? Or box elder? 

Any other possible paranormal activity in the home? 

Edited by Jujo-jo