Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The most mysterious song on the internet

Still Waters

With its rigid beat and dry, monotone vocals, the song sounds like a synth-pop hit you would have heard in a dance club in the Eighties. (Or at least on an Eighties Spotify station.) Close your eyes and you can imagine a music video: awkwardly lip-synching musicians, exploding lightbulbs, foggy streets. It’s familiar. But the name of the artist or band doesn’t come to mind.

That’s because, right now, no one knows anything about it: who wrote it, who sang it, or even when it came out. And for about a dozen years, a dedicated gaggle of music obsessives from around the world has been searching for any information about these three minutes of music. Throughout this quest, which intensified this summer, thousands of man-hours have been devoted to unearthing anything at all about what these zealous investigators are calling “the most mysterious song on the Internet.”

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/most-mysterious-song-on-the-internet-885106/

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• The title was changed to The most mysterious song on the internet

Clearly early Kraftwerk. It's not actually at all bad, I thought it was going to be one of those cursed songs that everyone who hears it commits suicide. 

Edited by Dumbledore the Awesome
  • Haha 5

Catchy tune.  Although it sounds like a guy singing in his shower.

Reminds me of those classic Commodore 64 theme tunes.

Edited by Aaron2016

Were it not for the (supposed) fact that it's (supposedly) been around for years, one might almost suspect a viral marketing campaign, mightn't one. :mellow:

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

I thought it was going to be one of those cursed songs that everyone who hears it commits suicide. 

I was expecting a loud zombie to pop up, or Rick Astley.

• Sad 2

10 minutes ago, acute said:

Is there a difference?  :D

• Haha 3

I heard countless demos in those days, on this threads track, the vocals have a dark wave gothish sound like a lot of singers wanted but the music track is very plastic poppy, they dont fit to me,  the problem is this could have been just the singer tossed it together on a 4 track, and went nowhere with it and sadly passed away or something, its possible to remain unknown

• Like 4

I have heard that music before, not the singing but the opening rift reminds me of a lot of 80's movies.  I don't pay attention to music unless I really like it an want to buy it, so I don't know where I have heard it before but I recognize the guitar and the order of notes it hits.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/22/2019 at 12:25 AM, acute said:

It's Rick Astley slowed down.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Golden Duck said:

It's Rick Astley slowed down.

its a giant rick roll :lol:

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Farmer77 said:

its a giant rick roll :lol:

I wish you could turn on pitch-shift when speeding things up in You-Tube.  I switched playback speed to 1.75 times and get a Banana Splits vibe.

• Haha 4

Where do I go to get my royalties....I obviously wrote that song back in the 80s and then totally forgot about it.  I want my money dambit!

• Haha 3