Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

45% of Americans believe in ghosts and demons

UM-Bot

I'm in that 45%.  The article didn't get into it but I am guessing in the pre cable TV and internet age (like 1980) the percentage would have been a little lower. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

It should be zero. But that's just wishful thinking on my part and doom to those who cash-in on believers. 

If you haven't had any experience with ghosts then that is what you should think.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

If you haven't had any experience with ghosts then that is what you should think.

I've never seen a ghost myself but I believe in them as I credit others as being as competent as myself. Enough 'others' has convinced me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I also know that we should trust what we think we see either. We are best at fooling ourselves. Beliefs, they act like rose-tinted glasses. Beware what lens you fit them with, lest you deceive yourself.

• Like 4

A lot of people have experienced the paranormal ,but are afraid to admit it because they may be ridiculed and laughed at by their peers , I have seen 2 incidents which I can't explain and 1 of them may have saved my life , that's why I frequent this web site as I'm sure there are people like myself , and I am not afraid of anyone who laughs at me , in fact anyone who does is ignorant of the facts .

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, spud the mackem said:

A lot of people have experienced the paranormal ,but are afraid to admit it because they may be ridiculed and laughed at by their peers , I have seen 2 incidents which I can't explain and 1 of them may have saved my life , that's why I frequent this web site as I'm sure there are people like myself , and I am not afraid of anyone who laughs at me , in fact anyone who does is ignorant of the facts .

What are these facts? 

13 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I've never seen a ghost myself but I believe in them as I credit others as being as competent as myself. Enough 'others' has convinced me.

12 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I also know that we should trust what we think we see either. We are best at fooling ourselves. Beliefs, they act like rose-tinted glasses. Beware what lens you fit them with, lest you deceive yourself.

I've never seen one personally but there was a haunting at a house a friend used to live in which enough people I know intimately separately experienced, one while I was just yards away.  For myself I've experienced auditory things in a very old house on a ranch I worked at as a teenager.  In the basement I heard someone whispering and many times heard someone walking up and down the stairs to the basement when nobody else was in the house.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Just now, OverSword said:

I've never seen one personally but there was a haunting at a house a friend used to live in which enough people I know intimately separately experienced, once while I was just yards away.  For myself I've experienced auditory things in a very old house on a ranch I worked at as a teenager.  In the basement I heard someone whispering and many times heard someone walking up and down the stairs to the basement when nobody else was in the house.

I've seen a ton of weird ****. I should be a diehard believer. But I'm not, that's the problem with looking for answers. It kills belief.

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

What are these facts? 

Why does your footer line say?:

it's not the skeptics that have ruined the belief in the paranormal, it's the hoaxers that are at fault. 

• Like 1

45% hum, you would think evidence or proof would be pouring in, but it's not, just the same old getting called ignorant, unenlightened or closed because i am not gullible enough to believe a story at face value.

• Like 2

That's lower then the polls I use to see. 

Just now, the13bats said:

45% hum, you would think evidence or proof would be pouring in, but it's not, just the same old getting called ignorant, unenlightened or closed because i am not gullible enough to believe a story at face value.

Millions of people see ghosts that disappear. What evidence or proof can they ever give you? Doesn't mean it didn't happen to my thinking.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

Why does your footer line say?:

it's not the skeptics that have ruined the belief in the paranormal, it's the hoaxers that are at fault. 

Doesn't answer my question. If he has facts or at least a better approach to discuss ghost than what I normally have seen, then I would like to know.

I'd like someone to actually be able to sell me on the idea of the paranormal. You know, the faint almost dead hope that there might be something beyond this finite and futile life. 

"...Slightly more overall - a total of 46% - believed in some sort of supernatural being .."

Ummm.. wait a minute.. does that 46% include people who believe in God ? 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Doesn't answer my question. If he has facts or at least a better approach to discuss ghost than what I normally have seen, then I would like to know.

I'd like someone to actually be able to sell me on the idea of the paranormal. You know, the faint almost dead hope that there might be something beyond this finite and futile life. 

Who, wouldn't?  I wasn't asking you about your footer in association with spuds comment.  Why is that your footer?

4 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Millions of people see ghosts that disappear. What evidence or proof can they ever give you? Doesn't mean it didn't happen to my thinking.

Millions and still no proof  bad odds there,

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Really?  Who says that?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Who, wouldn't?  I wasn't asking you about your footer in association with spuds comment.  Why is that your footer?

It makes sense. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, XenoFish said:

It makes sense. 

You don't believe but only because there are too many hoaxers?

• Like 2

https://www.livescience.com/46123-many-americans-creationists.html

Four in 10 Americans believe God created the Earth and anatomically modern humans, less than 10,000 years ago, according to a new Gallup poll.

This proves that the % of people who believe this has no bearing on whether or not something is true or believable. 

Edited by Robotic Jew
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

"...Slightly more overall - a total of 46% - believed in some sort of supernatural being .."

Ummm.. wait a minute.. does that 46% include people who believe in God ? 

I had that same question

https://today.yougov.com/topics/lifestyle/articles-reports/2019/10/21/paranormal-beliefs-ghosts-demons-poll

I looked at the original but it didn't really give me the answer.

Not sure if it means "other supernatural beings" as in other then ghost, demons, and vampires. Like fairies, spirits, gnomes ow whatever lol

Or if it meant a God.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OverSword said:

You don't believe but only because there are too many hoaxers?

I don't believe because there are too many reasonable explanations for the phenomenon in question. The hoaxes don't help, same for the gullible believers who just recycle ghost stories. 

Yeah, I got my own tales. I just don't trust my experiences. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I'd like someone to actually be able to sell me on the idea of the paranormal. You know, the faint almost dead hope that there might be something beyond this finite and futile life

Sell you? Are you buying?  believing in the paranormal or anything comes from the person as a result of what they experence, 

Even if paranormal was proven to you i doubt it would be a magic cure for being angry and depressed.

I dont really believe hoaxers have hurt the belief in paranormal, look at the poll and PG,

• Like 2