Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

45% of Americans believe in ghosts and demons

UM-Bot

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I don't believe because there are too many reasonable explanations for the phenomenon in question. The hoaxes don't help, same for the gullible believers who just recycle ghost stories. 

Yeah, I got my own tales. I just don't trust my experiences. 

Fair enough.  

For myself, when I heard several times what could only be someone walking down stairs when nobody else was in the house that seemed to limit any reasonable explanations.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

What are these facts? 

One dark night at sea in the middle of the Atlantic about 1930 hrs (before the watch changed at 2000 hrs), it was a fairly calm night with a little swell , I was walking along the deck from the Bridge to the aft accommodation , to exchange some books , when a figure all in black clothes passed me making no noise walking going towards the Bridge , I said hello but got no answer , as I carried on a  voice said quite clearly , quick , get on the other side of the deck as a rogue wave is coming ,so I did and within seconds a huge wave exploded over the deck I had been walking on ,had I been there , I would certainly been knocked off my feet and maybe swept overboard . I reached the crew accommodation and asked if anyone was on deck going forward to relieve the watch and a sailor said "I'm going in 10 minutes but its too early yet ", when I said what had happened no one laughed , and 3 lads said that they had seen this figure before at night just before a change of watch. I was on that ship for 10 months between Rotterdam and Philadelphia and no one went on deck after dark unless it was absolutely necessary .

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, spud the mackem said:

One dark night at sea in the middle of the Atlantic about 1930 hrs (before the watch changed at 2000 hrs), it was a fairly calm night with a little swell , I was walking along the deck from the Bridge to the aft accommodation , to exchange some books , when a figure all in black clothes passed me making no noise walking going towards the Bridge , I said hello but got no answer , as I carried on a  voice said quite clearly , quick , get on the other side of the deck as a rogue wave is coming ,so I did and within seconds a huge wave exploded over the deck I had been walking on ,had I been there , I would certainly been knocked off my feet and maybe swept overboard . I reached the crew accommodation and asked if anyone was on deck going forward to relieve the watch and a sailor said "I'm going in 10 minutes but its too early yet ", when I said what had happened no one laughed , and 3 lads said that they had seen this figure before at night just before a change of watch. I was on that ship for 10 months between Rotterdam and Philadelphia and no one went on deck after dark unless it was absolutely necessary .

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

4 minutes ago, spud the mackem said:

Do you understand i wasn't there its just a story for me, i respect its more to you

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Fair enough.  

For myself, when I heard several times what could only be someone walking down stairs when nobody else was in the house that seemed to limit any reasonable explanations.

If it wasn't uncertainty and the lack of repeatability, I'd sing a different tune.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

If you haven't had any experience with ghosts then that is what you should think.

I have never believed in them in the same sense that I have believed in a Creator.  Have you ever experienced an encounter with a ghost?  I'd be curious to hear about it.  I have an open mind about personal anecdotes on encounters but I tend to believe that such contact is demon related. JMO.

Sorry, I didn't read through the thread completely before I posted :)

Edited by and then
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

"...Slightly more overall - a total of 46% - believed in some sort of supernatural being .."

Ummm.. wait a minute.. does that 46% include people who believe in God ? 

I wondered the same thing.  The group of believers in the occult/supernatural who are agnostic or Atheist are the ones I find confusing.  That tends to support the idea that they reject the idea of anything that they think wants to have authority over them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, and then said:

I have never believed in them in the same sense that I have believed in a Creator.  Have you ever experienced an encounter with a ghost?  I'd be curious to hear about it.  I have an open mind about personal anecdotes on encounters but I tend to believe that such contact is demon related. JMO.

re Post #31 , This was something which happened to me personally , I can't explain it but it certainly was not a Demon as I was given help. why do people who see something unexplainable assume it must be bad . 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, and then said:

I wondered the same thing.  The group of believers in the occult/supernatural who are agnostic or Atheist are the ones I find confusing.  That tends to support the idea that they reject the idea of anything that they think wants to have authority over them.

I was brought up to believe in God , Jesus and the Holy spirit , and I still do , and one of these days when I die I hope to meet one of them as I have a few questions to ask . 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, spud the mackem said:

re Post #31 , This was something which happened to me personally , I can't explain it but it certainly was not a Demon as I was given help. why do people who see something unexplainable assume it must be bad . 

Because anything outside of their accepted religious paradigm is considered evil. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, and then said:

When you have the idea of belief or punishment drilled into your head, you tend to strongly dislike supposed 'spiritual authority'. God thus become a bully.

23 minutes ago, spud the mackem said:

This story is True , it happened , I was asked to relate an incident which I did ,  and I'm not in the habit of telling tall stories or lies , regards

You didn't "pretty it up", which is a better selling point to me. Too often we get the typical outlandish and exaggerated tales. 

5 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

You didn't "pretty it up", which is a better selling point to me. Too often we get the typical outlandish and exaggerated tales. 

Thankyou , truth is better than fiction ,regards

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, spud the mackem said:

Most Christian sects believe that all supernatural occurrence is evil trying to undermine God through distraction from Him.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, the13bats said:

Millions and still no proof  bad odds there,

Millions and all mistakes and lies, bad odds there.

• Like 1

I wonder if there is a culture on the planet that does not have stories about ghosts or demons?  Anybody know of one?

1 hour ago, the13bats said:

Sell you? Are you buying?  believing in the paranormal or anything comes from the person as a result of what they experence, 

If something can be presented that is deeply convincing, I will gladly reconsider my stance.

Even if paranormal was proven to you i doubt it would be a magic cure for being angry and depressed.

It would validate years of occult practice. Which would go a hell of a long way in changing my mood.

I dont really believe hoaxers have hurt the belief in paranormal, look at the poll and PG,

The hoaxers have ruined actual research into this subject. How much of it can you trust when the bulk of it is fake and shoddy studies, even studies with inconclusive results?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, spud the mackem said:

This story is True , it happened , I was asked to relate an incident which I did ,  and I'm not in the habit of telling tall stories or lies , regards

It's just a story.

I meant and mean no offense the story is yours true to you, not mine and not true to me

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, OverSword said:

Most Christian sects believe that all supernatural occurrence is evil trying to undermine God through distraction from Him.

True. And most dont believe in ghosts. Most believe a person's soul goes to heaven or hell, but never just hangs around.

I think these numbers are besides a belief in religion, though I'd suspect some correlation anyway.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I don't believe because there are too many reasonable explanations for the phenomenon in question. The hoaxes don't help, same for the gullible believers who just recycle ghost stories. 

Yeah, I got my own tales. I just don't trust my experiences. 

This is an experience I still can't explain by normal means

So I used to live in a unit with my mum and brother. Once afternoon we were in the kitchen; he was cooking and I was talking to him. When we both heard something hit the ground from the laundry (sliding door that leads to the laundry is next to the oven and was open), before we had a chance to see what I was I looked down and saw a tub of washing detergent (5 liter tub of Cold Power which was roughly half full) at my feet. Now I know for a fact that previously it was on top of the washing machine (about 9 feet from me). The washing machine wasn't on, nor had it been that day, no earthquakes (Australia rarely gets them, hell I've never felt a quake in my life as of yet) and the surface of the washing machine wasn't slated or wet in anyway (I always check "rational" resolutions before jumping to paranormal).

Even if it was somehow knocked off the washing machine, being as full as it was I can't imagine it could have bounced all that way.

This is in no way my first experience but it's the most physical one I believe I've had.

• Like 1