Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Amazon bird sets new record for loudest call

Still Waters

Biologist Jeff Podos at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, with Mario Cohn-Haft at the Instituto Nacional de Pesquisas da Amazônia, Brazil, report that they have recorded the loudest bird calls ever documented, made by dove-sized male white bellbirds as part of their mating rituals in the mountains of the northern Amazon. Details are in the latest Current Biology.

Now recognized as the loudest in the world, bellbird calls have a sound pressure about three times that of screaming pihas, another Amazon species now demoted to the second loudest bird singer documented, the authors say. Podos says the songs are so deafening they reach decibel levels equal to the loudest human instruments. They measured pressure using a new generation sound level meter. 

https://phys.org/news/2019-10-amazon-white-bellbirds-loudest-bird.html

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I eard a owl one time its very loud but it was more paranormal maybe alien making me ear recorded or live sound from giant owl?

• Confused 1

Interesting the different sounds animals can make. Only makes me believe people less when they say they hear aliens in the woods etc. just animals trying to get it on xD

• Like 2

20 hours ago, AstralHorus said:

Interesting the different sounds animals can make. Only makes me believe people less when they say they hear aliens in the woods etc. just animals trying to get it on xD

I was out early one morning with my dogs hoping for a bunny or two we went round near one of the reservoirs on the farm my oldest dog jumped into the reeds, I heard the most terrible loud high pitched scream the other dog dived in as well when I got to them the dogs had cornered a tiny little shrew that was screaming like a banshee .

Edited by Matt221
Spelling again
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Matt221 said:

I was out early one morning with my dogs hoping for a bunny or two we went round near one of the reservoirs on the farm my oldest dog jumped into the reeds, I heard the most terrible loud high pitched scream the other dog dived in as well when I got to them the dogs had cornered a tiny little shrew that was screaming like a banshee .

Yuhp, I’ve never been hunting but my friends who have tell me that the screams from bunnies is quite disturbing. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1