Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery surrounds London's 'Havering Hoard'

UM-Bot

I’m impressed a newspaper journalist put forth an economic possibility for the weapons’ abandonment— it strikes me as the most likely explanation. 

—Jaylemurph 

• Like 1

I doubt that people would throw away bronze. They used it for many things other than just weapons. I'd expect it to be cached and then melted down and reformed, as needed.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2019 at 9:35 PM, jaylemurph said:

I’m impressed a newspaper journalist put forth an economic possibility for the weapons’ abandonment— it strikes me as the most likely explanation. 

—Jaylemurph 

That was my first thought but like Blizno said so many other items were made of bronze, another point is the transitional period i bet it was decades.

• 3 months later...

Terret rings are a common find for detectorists i've found loads, a French bracelet isn't mysterious there was a lot of trade with France, some tribes lived on both sides of that small stretch of water.

• 6 months later...

Bronze hoard goes on show at Docklands

Nice pics at the London Advertiser: Link

Dating from between 900BC and 800BC, the “amazing discovery” goes on show at the Museum Of London Docklands, from Friday

Belfast Telegraph: Link

Museum of London: Link

Wikipedia: Link

Edited by Eldorado