Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why not prove it?

XenoFish

One  amazing thing, is that those who bluster against the supernatural, are more fascinated by it, than those who know it is real !

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, XenoFish said:

That's my favorite line. 

You hear it a lot...

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

You hear it a lot...

Way to often. Don't we get some psychic here making predictions on a weekly basis that amount to nothing? Same goes for someone claiming to speak to spirits. I mean with all these psychically active people, why hasn't a single one shut the skeptics up. It should be easy. 

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Think about it LG. You put Walker to task. Three letter word it was? He didn't bother. I even did my own test and no one got it right. 

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I fully agree. But why make a claim if you're not willing to prove a lot of people wrong? To me that is just an attention getting exercise. A telepathy or telekinetic could rewrite biology and physics. If psychic mediums were real, then why are there still unsolved crimes or even missing person for that matter. It makes them seem delusion or mentally ill. 

I think people believe in such things because life is painfully mundane. They need something extraordinary to spice it up. 

^^^^^ THIS, every thing about this, I agree with.

How many times do 'tweeners show up here, claiming that they have the paranormal ability of "empathy"?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

^^^^^ THIS, every thing about this, I agree with.

How many times do 'tweeners show up here, claiming that they have the paranormal ability of "empathy"?

That's my pet peeve. I have to bite my tongue 99.999999% of the time when I see the word empathy or empath show up in a thread. Mirror neurons folks, it's all mirror neurons.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Because it is bush-wa, and they know it.

Faith healers? Heal an amputee.

Prognosticators? Give an exact date, time, location, and the people involved. 

Mind readers? Give me a verbatim transcript of what you read in my mind, not a vague "feeling".

OBE practitioners? I have a piece of paper taped to my front door, with two words on it. Tell me what they are.

Telekinetics? Allow actual scientists and/or engineers to set up the test area. Do your thing.

Element benders (fire, earth, water, fire ) ? Same as for telekinetics.

Mediums ( those that speak with the dead ) ? Same as Prognosticators: you damn well better give me exact information, that only the deceased and I know.

The muggles believe this crappe, because they choose to ignore reality. 

To be fair, mediums are suppose to be vauge feelings and images.

I read a book once about a researcher who decided to get trained in it.

The ones who aren't scam artist ( as in they honestly believe they are actually doing it) are trained to interpret the images and feelings that pop up in their hear as being communicated to them from the other side. 

2 minutes ago, Stiff said:

Once again... I knew you were going to start this thread. My dead grandfather told me. It even broke my concentration when I was levitating a cup. :angry:

Did you feel that? It was a telekinetic head slap.... :P

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Stiff said:

Once again... I knew you were going to start this thread. My dead grandfather told me. It even broke my concentration when I was levitating a cup. :angry:

I'm sending you a telepathic message as we speak, kaeps ew sa egassem cihtapelet a uoy gnidens m'I

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, spartan max2 said:

The ones who aren't scam artist

Name one who ISN'T a scam artist....

• Like 2

1 minute ago, spartan max2 said:

To be fair, mediums are suppose to be vauge feelings and images.

I read a book once about a researcher who decided to get trained in it.

The ones who aren't scam artist ( as in they honestly believe they are actually doing it) are trained to interpret the images and feelings that pop up in their hear as being communicated to them from the other side. 

Isn't that the subconscious putting something that makes sense together? Doesn't mean that it is actually paranormal or supernatural. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

Same goes for someone claiming to speak to spirits.

It's especially rich when you get the lauding of how great and meaningful these powers are, how science is so short-sighted and biased, etc, yet when you ask for a demonstration of their powers you either get:

1. I know it is true so I have no need or desire to demonstrate it by attempting any test.
  2. "I'm in contact with a spirit... I'm getting an 'M'... does anyone know any dead people whose name starts with an 'M'?"
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Just now, Liquid Gardens said:

It's especially rich when you get the lauding of how great and meaningful these powers are, how science is so short-sighted and biased, etc, yet when you ask for a demonstration of their powers you either get:

1. I know it is true so I have no need or desire to demonstrate it by attempting any test.
  2. "I'm in contact with a spirit... I'm getting an 'M'... does anyone know any dead people whose name starts with an 'M'?"

Exactly. Proving it would solve so many arguments. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Did you feel that? It was a telekinetic head slap.... :P

Ouch black.gif

5 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I'm sending you a telepathic message as we speak, kaeps ew sa egassem cihtapelet a uoy gnidens m'I

Nope, my Babel fish has drowned in a sea of Gobbledygook. We're going to need a more common language. 

ETA: Doh! I just got it! I just got it! doh.gif

Edited by Stiff
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

This has been something that has been pestering me for years now. I often read a claims of some extraordinary ability. Seeing ghost, telepathy, psychokinesis, etc. Whenever it is suggested that they offer to be studied, they refuse. 

My assessment is that most such people are co-operative.

I mean if they can literally produce some supernatural/paranormal/psychic effect. Then they could change the worlds view on human biology and physics, yet nothing. It is almost if is the claim was false to begin with. So why bother making a claim in the first place? 

IMO: Psychic abilities are a weak but real human ability so studies have essentially proven the abilities through fantastic odds against chance. I've heard also of people performing telekinesis also repeatedly under controlled conditions,

The more dramatic paranormal stuff is spontaneous so not subject to controlled testing.

And why supposed gifted people never change the skeptics minds. 

Most people are not of aware of the quality of the scientific evidence for psychic functioning because academia and the hard sciences have a materialist bent.  Some hard-core skeptics have dug in to fight forever for personal reasons.

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Isn't that the subconscious putting something that makes sense together? Doesn't mean that it is actually paranormal or supernatural. 

Yeah.

I was just pointing out to Jodie that believers of mediums would not count his proof test as valid because they don't expect it to be able to give exact information.

1 minute ago, papageorge1 said:

Most people are not of aware of the quality of the scientific evidence for psychic functioning because academia and the hard sciences have a materialist bent.  Some hard-core skeptics have dug in to fight forever.

Then why to you and others of your bend fail to display this supposed 'proof'? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, XenoFish said:

Then why to you and others of your bend fail to display this supposed 'proof'? 

We do. We can't control your acceptance.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• The topic was locked