Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why not prove it?

XenoFish

Considering the topic and purpose of the thread, I don't see the posts going any other way than what it is, regardless of what the expectations are or how it's going to be met, fact is, for myself, I  mean personally speaking, things went better than I expected, I mean even with dubyer and mini dubyer being true to themselves as ever, which I doubt anyone expected anything less of them. 

~

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Considering the topic and purpose of the thread, I don't see the posts going any other way than what it is, regardless of what the expectations are or how it's going to be met, fact is, for myself, I  mean personally speaking, things went better than I expected, I mean even with dubyer and mini dubyer being true to themselves as ever, which I doubt anyone expected anything less of them. 

~

Perhaps it's me and my expectations of not getting the same old, same old. I should know better by now. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, XenoFish said:

I've already sent the request so it's up to the staff now, to either lock it or choose to let it run its course. My feelings are more a grumble on how every thread becomes about Walker. Which as you know destroys them. 

Understood, but at least this thread's topic aligns better with the usual Walker rigamarole; it's not nearly as off-topic as a lot of the stuff that has been posted by others on Walker's 'team' on the John the Baptist thread.  And even within Walker content this thread has a little bit that is new; it's interesting to see how askew his arguments turn now that he's been shown to misremember multiple things, I think it quite illustrative of the weakness of the foundation for his 'arguments'.  I wish we could have gotten more that was more to the point of your OP, 'why not prove it', but at least this thread demonstrates why these things need a lot more proof/evidence to begin with and how insufficient what little has been offered is.

And cool new avatar pic also by the way. :tu:

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Liquid Gardens said:

I wish we could have gotten more that was more to the point of your OP, 'why not prove it', but at least this thread demonstrates why these things need a lot more proof/evidence to begin with and how insufficient what little has been offered is.

And cool new avatar pic also by the way. :tu:

I'm all for speculation and thought-experiments. No problem with that at all. My issue is when claims of supernatural powers and the complete unwillingness to prove them. It is almost as if someone is just bragging but knows if they try to prove it they will fail. So the claim is false to start with. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I'm all for speculation and thought-experiments. No problem with that at all. My issue is when claims of supernatural powers and the complete unwillingness to prove them. It is almost as if someone is just bragging but knows if they try to prove it they will fail. So the claim is false to start with. 

I think this thread was a major success in that claims can be evidenced with or without ones participation, that memory is not infallible, dreams are not prophetic, and false memories are a thing. 

Welcome back to Magik and I look forward to your contributions and tests (as in knowing you if anyone is gonna prove something it will be you).

Well done on this thread topic. :wub:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

Welcome back to Magik and I look forward to your contributions and tests (as in knowing you if anyone is gonna prove something it will be you).

Well consider the 2 for 1 definition I use to define what magick is. It shouldn't be too woo. 

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Well consider the 2 for 1 definition I use to define what magick is. It shouldn't be too woo. 

I think you will take the woo out as much as you can :sk

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

I think you will take the woo out as much as you can :sk

Still some air in the tires. Gotta deflate it some more.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

"Never trust a quick and catchy quip."

- a quick and catchy quip.

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

Still some air in the tires. Gotta deflate it some more.

The only way you can know if there is anything to it is by testing it out. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

The only way you can know if there is anything to it is by testing it out. 

That would only require testing, repeating the test, and then reducing it to the least amount of moving parts. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, third_eye said:

It's 5pm here in Malaysia... 

~

I don't think so, but you are Dyna-Red!

• Haha 1

That would only require testing, repeating the test, and then reducing it to the least amount of moving parts. 

What are you working on?

Wot ? Charlie hasn't come back to report ? Or apologize ? Of course not !

6 hours ago, XenoFish said:

My issue is when claims of supernatural powers and the complete unwillingness to prove them. It is almost as if someone is just bragging but knows if they try to prove it they will fail. So the claim is false to start with. 

If someone claims to have pre-cognitive dreams, and that is defined as a "supernatural  power", then they are almost a commonplace. The falsity would lie in your assumption.

3 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Materialism/reductionism is your creed ! Is it the ultimate reality ? Of course not.

3 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

I don't think so, but you are Dyna-Red!

I'd be delusional if I straddled a soft-wing or fatboy... Heck, I can only afford to look no touch a dyna by the feel of things as it is....

~

• Like 1

I'm also pondering the concept of the wish. Perhaps as a way of engineering confirmation bias/synchronicity. 

How are you testing for this? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Habitat said:

Wot ? Charlie hasn't come back to report ? Or apologize ? Of course not !

If someone claims to have pre-cognitive dreams, and that is defined as a "supernatural  power", then they are almost a commonplace. The falsity would lie in your assumption.

Can you clarify this please.

38 minutes ago, third_eye said:

I'd be delusional if I straddled a soft-wing or fatboy... Heck, I can only afford to look no touch a dyna by the feel of things as it is....

~

Before the Power Rangers back in the late eighties, someone with the rights to the original Japanese series made a few shows out of them with comical English voice overs. They called it Dyna-man. They were on Night Flight and you can watch them free on the web. The first episode will illuminate my cryptic reference.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, eight bits said:

Before the thread gets closed (as the OP seems to have lost patience with the practical application of his title question):

@Mr Walker

I have little reason to doubt that you dreamt about a whale in distress shortly before encountering a news item about a whale in distress. The image falls within the scope of a common dream motif, and such news items are not especially rare. Further, I think you are competent to recall some of your dreams, and to identify the subjects of the news stories you watch on TV.

As your shifting testimony indicates, however, you have no basis for asserting here and now that you dreamt anything more specific than something about a whale in distress in an aquaculture setting. You've "remembered" the incident with different details on two different occasions for which there are records, and have recently acknowledged working with your brother on a third version (protip: the last thing this story needs is another version).

Granting all other fact questions as resolved in your favor, there is no prophecy here. There's nothing special about dreams imitating life, and so it is inevitable, rather than anything special, that once upon a time decades ago, you would experience a coincidence of the topic of one of your dreams and a news item the next day.

What would need explanation is if no such coincidences ever happened, especially not to you, given your awesome dream recall, perfect memory, and the breadth of news items your speed-reading prowess enables you to consume in a day. (It must be hell for you watch news on TV, where a story can drag out over minutes, when you could read all about it in a second or two).

@XenoFish

What's happening here is a demonstration that it is possible to prove a great deal, even on the internet. That is a critical aspect of the topic you proposed. Otherwise, an admissible answer to your topic question would be Mr W's self-serving flapdoodle, that it is impossible for anybody to prove anything especially online.

You will do what you want, of course, but if it were my thread, I would let this play out organically, even if it wasn't the direction I foresaw at the outset.

However in the first post i think i mentioned that  the dream which preceded the news film was identical TO that news film ie i saw it from  the perspective of the camera 

You are quite correct It COULD have been a coincidence. Interesting though, that I had the dream the night before the whale was trapped and it appears to have been a very rare  occurrence

. People who " dont believe  in any of this guff" HAVE to find other logical reasons for how so many interesting events occur. 

And of course it is one of only many instances In my life On some of them the dream ( or a pre knowledge gained while i was awke and fully aware)  has saved my life by giving warning of events yet to happen 

Ps NOTHING can be proven online, and not truly in real life, without the participation of a person OR their willing acceptance of proofs evidences and authority.

Some people choose to believe evidences and proofs,  but those evidences and proofs, unless demonstrated to the student, cannot be  known to be true or correct.  

ie without personal experience or experimentation, a student of ANYTHING must take on faith the evidences and proofs provided by a teacher, lecturer, or any media source 

13 hours ago, XenoFish said:

Perhaps it's me and my expectations of not getting the same old, same old. I should know better by now. 

It would be nice to have new blood here (not getting rid of the old blood ) There actually are very few regular contributors, which lessens the chance of a new perspective.  However the tone and nature over the last few years of this forum would  discourage anyone for presenting alternative/ non- mainstream  views, and require quite a lot of courage  or motivation (as you yourself comment on)   

ps for what its worth i have always thought your views on "magic' are basically correct 

However i would argue that this is only one form of application of a wider principle of reality, and human nature/cognition/psychology and that it actually works, given the right skills mindset expectations  and training 

Maybe you had too  high or incorrect assumptions about  what  your magic could do for you 

Edited by Mr Walker

50 minutes ago, Sherapy said:

How are you testing for this? 

Probably keep a record. Mostly to see how it affects my day to day life. Purely subjective and any results will be anecdotal, however it's a personal experiment anyways.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Before the Power Rangers back in the late eighties, someone with the rights to the original Japanese series made a few shows out of them with comical English voice overs. They called it Dyna-man. They were on Night Flight and you can watch them free on the web. The first episode will illuminate my cryptic reference.

That makes sense, I'll give it a peek when I get a chance but no promises, Power Rangers and the sort isn't really my kind if thing, I have enough of a list to catch up on as it is 

~

• Like 1

• The topic was locked