Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
spartan max2

Study: No evidence for gaming as a disorder

27 posts in this topic

Bed of chaos
On 10/21/2019 at 7:07 PM, Aaron2016 said:

I've forbidden myself to drive because of video games like Carmageddon and Grand Theft Auto.  I've driven so badly in games over the years so much that I still don't trust myself behind the wheel today because of it.  When I took lessons 12 years ago I drove so recklessly and cared so little about my consequences (full throttle, driving into a bush, mounting the footpath, narrowly hitting people) and my lack of consideration was a result of gaming.  The front car window screen reminded me too much of the gaming TV screen.  I could easily attempt to drive again, but I just don't trust myself to take it seriously enough so that I won't jeopardize the lives of other road users and pedestrians again.  My attitude was always - It's not my car, so what do I care if I trash it, and I don't know any of these people, so what do I care if I hit them.  Law and order just didn't apply, because it did not apply in video games, and my brain had been conditioned subconsciously for so long to believe that, and when I finally sat behind the wheel during my lessons and tests, the seriousness of the situation and what I was doing just didn't register in my mind at all.  The other factor was, I live and work in the city, and never had the necessity to need a car.  On the bright side, I can play GTA without any fatal consequences to worry about. :D

Sounds interesting but not sure ur experience is applicable to most gamers. So basically reckless driving in gta 'conditioned subconsciously' reckless driving in reality. I'm a crack shot in modern warfare (original, gaming in general 25yrs). By that logic, I should be phenomenal w real firearms? Well, you can sue gta..like lindsey lohan.

Edited by Bed of chaos
  • Like 1

KNash

Interesting. If anything, I'd think gaming would fall under addiction, but that doesn't necessarily mean gaming is the root of the problem. People who are addicted to gaming would need to be to the point where it causes significant problems (ex. getting fired from work, spending paychecks on in game items, etc.). At that point, gaming sounds like an outlet for a bigger problem that is likely bleeding over into other areas of a person's life.