Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
WillowLavenders

Modern Day Cults

32 posts in this topic

WillowLavenders

In your opinion, what's a religious group today that exhibits cult-like and controlling behavior? 

Note:

When I say cult, I mean a group that uses tactics to control or modify behavior, and/or practices excommunication, and/or withholds or distorts information, and/or uses rewards and punishments to keep people in the group, etc. I suggest using the BITE Model. https://freedomofmind.com/bite-model/ 

Not meant to offend anyone or their religious practices.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Piney
46 minutes ago, WillowLavenders said:

In your opinion, what's a religious group today that exhibits cult-like and controlling behavior? 

Excellent link!!  Steven Hassan's model is excellent! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Desertrat56

Scientology and Jehovah's Witness.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Desertrat56

Well, after looking at the link I would say almost all religions are cults.  I thought so before but did not want to say anything.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

freetoroam

All religions began as cults. Some grew big,  some just got far  too silly. 

• Like 8

openozy

Yeah, all religions.I think some are created for the leaders benefit,most use God as an alibi and excuse.The weirder ones are only followed by gullible or simple minded individuals,but that could be a big portion of society,which is a worry.

• Like 5

Horta

It's interesting that those techniques could also be relevant to modern societies, even western democratic ones, at least to some extent. Though any society that not only promotes freedom of speech and belief, but goes to efforts to protect them as basic rights could never really be a cult in the negative sense (ie. a brainwashing cult).

The worst and most destructive brainwashing cults in modern times seem to have revolved around political ideologies. It's interesting that many anti cult groups are themselves Christian based, as surely Christianity has been one of the worst brainwashing cults in history (still are in some instances).

All religious groups (including new age) are probably brainwashing cults to some degree. It's not a matter of "if" but more a matter of "to what extent".

Edited by Horta
  • Like 7

the13bats
13 hours ago, WillowLavenders said:

Note:

When I say cult, I mean a group that uses tactics to control or modify behavior, and/or practices excommunication, and/or withholds or distorts information, and/or uses rewards and punishments to keep people in the group, etc. I suggest using the BITE Model. https://freedomofmind.com/bite-model/ 

Trump worshippers....

• Thanks 4

WillowLavenders
20 hours ago, Horta said:

It's interesting that those techniques could also be relevant to modern societies, even western democratic ones, at least to some extent. Though any society that not only promotes freedom of speech and belief, but goes to efforts to protect them as basic rights could never really be a cult in the negative sense (ie. a brainwashing cult).

The worst and most destructive brainwashing cults in modern times seem to have revolved around political ideologies. It's interesting that many anti cult groups are themselves Christian based, as surely Christianity has been one of the worst brainwashing cults in history (still are in some instances).

All religious groups (including new age) are probably brainwashing cults to some degree. It's not a matter of "if" but more a matter of "to what extent".

Christianity 100% brainwashes with different tactics, wanted someone to point this out because, I'll admit, I myself was afraid of offending someone.

As for nearly every group having cult traits, I know! It's almost like it's in a religion's nature to somehow control it's members. You can compare any group, even non-religious and almost always has some cult traits when put against the BITE model. It's interesting.

• Like 3

Aquila King

ZomboMeme 22102019175805.jpg

• Like 3

WillowLavenders
23 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

Scientology and Jehovah's Witness.

Those are some of the worst. I'm not as informed about Scientology as I should be, though I've heard some pretty disgusting things, but I've done loads of research on Jehovah's Witnesses. I've read about the shunning and separating children from their parents, the two-witness rule that's protecting some... revolting people, and their absurdly stringent and harmful teachings.

Edited by WillowLavenders
  • Like 3

Aquila King
1 minute ago, WillowLavenders said:

I'm not as informed about Scientology as a should be

There's this excellent documentary series I've seen on A&E done by a former actor and member of Scientology named Leah Remini where she details exactly what Scientology is, how it operates, and what it was like growing up in such a controlling and destructive environment. I highly recommend you check it out.

• Like 1

Desertrat56
6 minutes ago, WillowLavenders said:

Those are some of the worst. I'm not as informed about Scientology as a should be, though I've heard some pretty disgusting things, but I've done loads of research on Jehovah's Witnesses. I've read about the shunning and separating children from their parents, the two-witness rule that's protecting some... revolting people, and their absurdly stringent and harmful teachings.

I have known people who were raised Jehovah's wittness and left, had to walk away from their families.   I also have known people who joined scientology, then felt like they had to run away but would go back when they were rich so they wouldn't have to sell the books.  Neither of them ever got rich or went back.  Both of them were addicts.  That is the only people scientolgy wants.

• Like 1

WillowLavenders
1 hour ago, Aquila King said:

There's this excellent documentary series I've seen on A&E done by a former actor and member of Scientology named Leah Remini where she details exactly what Scientology is, how it operates, and what it was like growing up in such a controlling and destructive environment. I highly recommend you check it out.

Thanks. I'll probably turn on a video about it on YouTube while I'll draw or something, but I'll have to find that documentary.

Also, the comparison you posted is excellent. Is their a specific website you got the comparison from with similar ones? 

• Like 1

Aquila King
4 minutes ago, WillowLavenders said:

Also, the comparison you posted is excellent. Is their a specific website you got the comparison from with similar ones? 

Nah, just found it on Reddit a while back and saved it. Couldn't give you the source. :hmm: Sorry.

WillowLavenders
1 hour ago, Aquila King said:

Nah, just found it on Reddit a while back and saved it. Couldn't give you the source. :hmm: Sorry.

It's fine, no worries.

openozy

I believe raising your children to follow any religion is wrong,even though most of the World does this,and is part of different cultures.I raised my kids to be honest and nice to others and to follow their own path, they turned out pretty well balanced adults.

• Thanks 2

GalacticWarrior
On 10/21/2019 at 10:47 PM, Horta said:

Brainwashing is like not my cup of tea. It is so stupid. In my opinion, I rather not watch TV, except movies like The Matrix which have a whole lot of meaning!

• Haha 2

DingoLingo
On 10/22/2019 at 8:11 PM, the13bats said:

Trump worshippers....

I had the exact same thought when I read the OP

• Like 3

the13bats
Just now, DingoLingo said:

I had the exact same thought when I read the OP

I want to be fair but didnt want to clarify until someone responded, TY.

My post was made in that "funny because it's true" vein but it's actually not funny rather sad and scary.

I wasn't talking about all trump supporters, I'm talking about the ones who see him as a "Godly" flawless example of a person who can do no wrong, you know the supporters who will ignore every negative wrong thing the man does or just blame it on someone thst is off the radar, the ones who believe trump really cares about them and well being.

These "supporters" are the ones that preacher who threatened if trump is impeached there will be civil war,

So sure there is an odd cult like mentality and following with trump, even some of the grounded supporters see it.

• Like 1

Herr Falukorv
30 minutes ago, GalacticWarrior said:

I rather not watch TV, except movies like The Matrix which have a whole lot of meaning!

Please explain....

GalacticWarrior

There's just nothing that interest me on TV. Plus, on my weekly bases, I work on my Spiritual work. Which is beyond amazing.

Rlyeh
32 minutes ago, Herr Falukorv said:

Please explain....

Confirmation bias.  Some people think The Matrix is closer to a documentary.

• Haha 3

Manwon Lender
On 10/22/2019 at 7:33 AM, WillowLavenders said:

Note:

Here is a cult that fits every description that cult can have, and it is a religious group. This cult is located near Yelm, Washington it's called Ramthas School of Enlightenment. There is a women who leads the cult, she claims to channel a 35,000 year old being called Ramtha. This group sends its member out into near by cities to try and collect donations and to attract new members. I encountered them while I was stationed at Ft. Lewis Washington, and these folks are defiantly Brain Washed. 

Here is a link for more information.    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramtha's_School_of_Enlightenment

• Like 2