Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Chinese 'panda' pet cafe raises eyebrows

Still Waters

Animal cafes have been springing up all over the world for the last two decades as a place for animal lovers to enjoy a meal alongside their furry friends.

But a new "panda" cafe in Chengdu in south-western China - internationally known as the home of the giant panda - is raising eyebrows and a lot of concern.

According to the Chengdu Economic Daily, a cafe recently opened in Chengdu, seems at first glance to be home to six giant panda cubs.

But the "panda" cafe is - in fact - all bark and no bite because on closer inspection, it turns out they are actually the Chow Chow breed of dogs, which have been dyed to look like China's national animal.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-50141841

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

They are super cute! People have been dying their pets furs forever! Not sure why it's bad suddenly....you would have to  be careful what you use.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, skliss said:

They are super cute! People have been dying their pets furs forever! Not sure why it's bad suddenly....you would have to  be careful what you use.

It might suddenly be bad because it has been proven to be unhealthy for humans to die their hair. 

• Like 1

Just now, Desertrat56 said:

It might suddenly be bad because it has been proven to be unhealthy for humans to die their hair. 

Then I guess I and millions upon millions of women are doomed!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, skliss said:

Then I guess I and millions upon millions of women are doomed!

Yep. you are.  :P  I used to dye my hair in my 30's until I realized a lot of women I knew my age were dying their hair to hide grey and I didn't have any yet.  Didn't until my 50's.  It really is toxic and the first thing people who have certain ailments are told is quit dying your hair if they have a good doctor.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Yep. you are.  :P  I used to dye my hair in my 30's until I realized a lot of women I knew my age were dying their hair to hide grey and I didn't have any yet.  Didn't until my 50's.  It really is toxic and the first thing people who have certain ailments are told is quit dying your hair if they have a good doctor.

I should be dead by now then....lol I think in their own self interest, can't  kill your customers,  they've come up with non-toxic alternatives. I worked in a hair place as a receptionist when I was in college and they were using better stuff than our mom's used even back then.

• Like 3

In my city we have a couple "cat cafes". Why you would want to drink coffee and eat a donut in a place with cats j have no idea. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Canine and feline pimps... 

~

• Like 1

It's bad enough when my two lurchers are about if I'm eating let alone a couple of jumped up,fluffy,round faced, well clipped chow chows

• Like 1

In the late 70s early 80s us "punks" had to use koolaid or purple iodine to get wild hair colors, black #1 wasnt #51 yet,  when my hair ( to my butt ) started to get grey about 35 i noticed i inherited my aunts way cool hammer films Lee vampire streak and havent dyed my hair in over a decade, the hair on my head that is,

I do use a safe veggie dye in my goatee and 'stach which is klingon style, because it's bright snow white if i dont, I like it smoky.

And sure some hair dye is toxic then again many toiletries and cosmetics are,

If the dogs are happy and treated well which they likely are no big deal if the dye is safe.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, the13bats said:

In the late 70s early 80s us "punks" had to use koolaid or purple iodine to get wild hair colors, black #1 wasnt #51 yet,  when my hair ( to my butt ) started to get grey about 35 i noticed i inherited my aunts way cool hammer films Lee vampire streak and havent dyed my hair in over a decade, the hair on my head that is,

I do use a safe veggie dye in my goatee and 'stach which is klingon style, because it's bright snow white if i dont, I like it smoky.

And sure some hair dye is toxic then again many toiletries and cosmetics are,

If the dogs are happy and treated well which they likely are no big deal if the dye is safe.

Back in the day I was a punk I used a kind of spray paint stuff and loads of gel I had a multi coloured mohican with jet black tips but I had a mate who had a dull cool blue and red  colour that blended in with each other.His sister done it for him with a mixture of felt tip pens and wax crayon and all moulded together ....... so much for us big hard nasty rebelious punks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Matt221 said:

Back in the day I was a punk I used a kind of spray paint stuff and loads of gel I had a multi coloured mohican with jet black tips but I had a mate who had a dull cool blue and red  colour that blended in with each other.His sister done it for him with a mixture of felt tip pens and wax crayon and all moulded together ....... so much for us big hard nasty rebelious punks

I'm in U.S. and it was way behind on that stuff,

I knew a car who would spike his hawk with melted crayons, slipped my mind until you mentioned it, I also new a guy with robert smith hair, spiked it with the same spray paint he huffed.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

In my city we have a couple "cat cafes". Why you would want to drink coffee and eat a donut in a place with cats j have no idea. 

Or cat hair....boggles the mind. With my cat allergy I'd be miserable anyway!

• Haha 1