Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

39 bodies found in refrigerated lorry

RoofGardener

I live 5 min drive from here.

Traffic was murder, cause of this.

What happened was horrendous. 

Some mystifying aspects to this. It was foudn finally in Essex, and had come from Holyhead, they say, so presumably had come from Ireland, So it had gone from Bulgaria to Ireland, then back to the UK, and only then were they found? and the driver has been arrested of murder? That surely suggests that they believe that he himself put them in there. Most truck drivers have no idea what's in the back, they have to take it on trust what it says on the paperwork. And containers moving internationally are customs sealed before they set off from the point of origin, it violates the seal to open it up; I expect the same would probably apply to refrigerated trailers, so how the driver can be responsible seems mystifying, unless they're saying that he was responsible for them getting in it in Bulgaria, with the usual promises, and then drove them to France, to Ireland, then back to the UK? It makes no sense at all. 

Sounds rather to me as if Inspector Plod doesn't have a clue what they're doing. 

Edited by Dumbledore the Awesome
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

Some mystifying aspects to this. It was foudn finally in Essex, and had come from Holyhead, they say, so presumably had come from Ireland, So it had gone from Bulgaria to Ireland, then back to the UK, and only then were they found? and the driver has been arrested of murder? That surely suggests that they believe that he himself put them in there. Most truck drivers have no idea what's in the back, they have to take it on trust what it says on the paperwork. And containers moving internationally are customs sealed before they set off from the point of origin, it violates the seal to open it up; I expect the same would probably apply to refrigerated trailers, so how the driver can be responsible seems mystifying, unless they're saying that he was responsible for them getting in it in Bulgaria, with the usual promises, and then drove them to France, to Ireland, then back to the UK? It makes no sense at all. 

Sounds rather to me as if Inspector Plod doesn't have a clue what they're doing. 

Although the lorry is thought to have entered the country via Holyhead, it may not have come from Ireland.

There are many other ferry routes, including Amsterdam and Santana in Spain, among others, that terminate in Holyhead. 

8 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Although the lorry is thought to have entered the country via Holyhead, it may not have come from Ireland.

There are many other ferry routes, including Amsterdam and Santana in Spain, among others, that terminate in Holyhead. 

Only ones from Ireland go to Holyhead. You'd have to go a very roundabout route, say from Cherbourg to Dublin, and then Dublin to Holyhead, and then all the way from Bulgaria to, say, Cherbourg before all that. And theyt say the driver's from Northern Ireland? Unless he'd driven the truck all the way from Bulgaria and was not only aware of what was in it but was responsible for them being in it in the first place, I don't see how he could possibly be responsible for murder. 

Edited by Dumbledore the Awesome
  • Like 1

The arrest on suspicion of murder may be a formality whilst the police establish the facts

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

A truck trailer was found in a Walmart parking lot one morning in 2003 (or 2002) in Dallas, TX with a lot of dead immigrants from mexico.  They never found the truck or the coyote who had brought them across the border.  It was thought that they died of carbon monoxide poisoning and the driver found them dead when he opened the trailer doors to let them out, so he dumped the trailer and disappeared.

There should be some better way for people to immigrate.  They must be desperate to come to a new country like that.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

A truck trailer was found in a Walmart parking lot one morning in 2003 (or 2002) in Dallas, TX with a lot of dead immigrants from mexico.  They never found the truck or the coyote who had brought them across the border.  It was thought that they died of carbon monoxide poisoning and the driver found them dead when he opened the trailer doors to let them out, so he dumped the trailer and disappeared.

There should be some better way for people to immigrate.  They must be desperate to come to a new country like that.

I gather trailers aren't registered over there?

2 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

I gather trailers aren't registered over there?

They are, but they could not find the truck that was hauling the trailer or the news media was not told, just that they could not find the driver or the truck.

• Like 3

Just now, Desertrat56 said:

They are, but they could not find the truck that was hauling the trailer or the news media was not told, just that they could not find the driver or the truck.

Maybe I'm not understanding it, couldn't they look up the registration and find out who owned it?  

6 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

Maybe I'm not understanding it, couldn't they look up the registration and find out who owned it?  

Yes, I'm sure they could, the news didn't have that information and I don't keep up with stories.  I barely watch the news as it is.  I will see if I can find the story.

Maybe this is the story I was mis-remembering.  It happened in San Antonio and only 10 people died, but I thought there was another incident where the truck wasn't found.

https://www.cnn.com/2017/07/24/us/san-antonio-trailer-migrants/index.html

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Thanks 1

@Rlyeh here is another story about dead abandoned in Texas in a trailer.  It seems it happens too often, and I am sure there are some of the same thing in California and Arizona.

Trapped in scorching trailer -- 18 die / Immigrants abandoned at Texas truck stop

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Trapped-in-scorching-trailer-18-die-2648170.php

• Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

There are a lot of trailers with bogus registrations because there is a lot of smuggling and rustling on the "Cowboy Trail" running from Mexico to Canada. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

This sounds like something Jeffery Dahmer would do. 

10 minutes ago, the13bats said:

A totally different reasons dead bodies are in a truck.  Overflow from the morgue.

4 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

A totally different reasons dead bodies are in a truck.  Overflow from the morgue.

Ah yeah well it has  dead bodies and a lorry, :(

Edited by the13bats
  • Haha 1

RIP to the victims.  If we had a hard Brexit with customs checks would this sort of thing have happened?  Maybe politicians will think twice about a hard Brexit and agree that tougher inspections are necessary.  Might be a slight inconvenience to lorry drivers, but could mean life and death to some poor family.

Edited by Aaron2016
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Aaron2016 said:

RIP to the victims.  If we had a hard Brexit with customs checks would this sort of thing have happened?  Maybe politicians will think twice about a hard Brexit and agree that tougher inspections are necessary.  Might be a slight inconvenience to lorry drivers, but could mean life and death to some poor family.

There really isn't anything you won't try and spin for Brexit, is there? 

Pathetic. 

And wrong. 

20 minutes ago, Setton said:

There really isn't anything you won't try and spin for Brexit, is there? 

Pathetic. 

And wrong. 

Would you rather have their deaths account for nothing?  Just say 'what a pity' and carry on?  If we want to make sure those people did not die in vain, then their deaths should lead to change and since parliament is currently in a heated argument about securing our borders post Brexit, and bickering about minor inconveniences with customs checks, then today's tragic news should make them all wake up and realize that actual lives are at risk.  So a soft border proposal should be stamped out immediately in order to make sure tragic events like that do not occur again.  Every lorry should be inspected without exception.  I watch the lorries at Belfast docks queuing up and waiting for hours.  Plenty of time to have each lorry inspected.  I watch the drivers napping and walking down to the nearby shops for a bite to eat.  Who knows how many people could be hiding in them.  Change will have to come sooner or later, preferably sooner, and it seems right that the Brexit proposals should reflect that commitment to increase security at all entry ports.  Having a border down the Irish sea might just be the safest option so long as it guarantees that lorries will be thoroughly checked.

Some updates...... 

The trailer was registered to Bulgaria, but by a company in Northern Ireland. The trailer arrived in Zeebrugge, but the tractor unit then unhitched it and disappeared. If the police know anything about the tractor unit, they haven't released it to the press yet. Nor have they released any details (if they exist) of how the trailer got from Bulgaria to Zeebrugge. Oh the delights of the Schengen Area ! 

The trailer was loaded onto a ferry (by tugs) to Purfleet docks on the river Thames. Another tractor, registered to a company in Northern Ireland (we don't know if it's the same one) then picked the trailer up, before abandoning it in Essex. 

The driver of the second tractor is under arrest and is being questioned by police. 

• Thanks 1

So all the talk about Holyhead was a complete non sequitur? No more than I'd expect from the media, or the Police, if that was who told them that. That makes a lot more sense. Still makes no sense how the driver that picked it up once it was over here could possibly be responsible for murder, though. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Dumbledore the Awesome said:

So all the talk about Holyhead was a complete non sequitur? No more than I'd expect from the media, or the Police, if that was who told them that. That makes a lot more sense. Still makes no sense how the driver that picked it up once it was over here could possibly be responsible for murder, though. 

Has he been charged or is he still being held on suspicion? I haven't read any updates I am just guessing from the pieces which were reported early on that the 25 year old phoned it in when he discovered the bodies in the back. I don't know if he knew the people where in the truck or not but the police maybe trying to scare him into telling them as much as he knows, to get to the bottom of the trafficking case..

• Like 1