Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Still Waters

Seabirds mistook elastic bands for worms

Still Waters

An uninhabited island that is so remote a permit is required to visit has been littered with thousands of elastic bands, by seabirds mistakenly thinking they are worms.

Rangers who care for the colony on Mullion Island were initially left scratching their heads by the phenomenon, which has seen coloured bands strewn across the island.

It is thought to be caused by great black-backed and herring gulls mistaking the bands for food while feeding in agricultural fields on the mainland, before returning to deposit them at roosting sites on the island, which is off the Cornish coast.

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-10-23/rangers-solve-mystery-of-elastic-bands-littering-bird-colonys-island-home/

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Matt221

Another problem for wildlife to contend with such a shame I once caught a cormorant who had a large lead head,(rubber sand eel used by anglers for lur fishing)  stuck in the corner of his beak I held him down my mate unhooked him and off he flew .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

the13bats
3 hours ago, Matt221 said:

Another problem for wildlife to contend with such a shame I once caught a cormorant who had a large lead head,(rubber sand eel used by anglers for lur fishing)  stuck in the corner of his beak I held him down my mate unhooked him and off he flew .

I did that type thing to a full with fishing line hook and weigh wrapped on a leg, I guess we got to him before it got too tight too long and by some miracle the hook had not got him ,

So me and my buddy learned a hurting angry scared gull can make a hell of a lot of fuss and racket, they bite hard too...

• Like 3

Matt221
16 hours ago, the13bats said:

I did that type thing to a full with fishing line hook and weigh wrapped on a leg, I guess we got to him before it got too tight too long and by some miracle the hook had not got him ,

So me and my buddy learned a hurting angry scared gull can make a hell of a lot of fuss and racket, they bite hard too...

The only gull experience I really had was one who landed on my neiboughs bar b q after some left over chicken and his leg was caught in the grill he wasn't happy but survived to fly free incidently he had a ring on from germany only a short fly to the uk but he was rung 9 yes earlier !

• Like 1