Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Religions are like fan clubs of God

Xavier Perez-Pons

3 hours ago, quiXilver said:

What most folks call the 'voice of god'.

I experience as 'conditioned response to stimuli'.

Hmmm, what do you mean?

Does this mean that ordinary fan clubs are secular religions? I sense a great disturbance in the Farce, as though millions of Trekkies were praying to Gene Roddenberry......

• Haha 1

On 10/24/2019 at 3:40 AM, quiXilver said:

When I talked about my friend only I could see as a child, I was sent to a psychiatrist.

When I joined everyone on Sundays and pretended to talk to their friend, who only they knew was real... I was celebrated as a good christian boy.

If you actually did literally think you were seeing that "friend", then your parents were well justified.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Davros of Skaro said:

How do you know it's not your imagination that you're feeling?

This is the situation. The intuitive mind is somewhere between the spiritual mind and the outer mind and it is bathed in the rays of truth but still has no complete truth. No one will prove it to scientists and everything will be verified by personal experience or drawn from the books of those people who have discovered all kinds minds.

Intuition:
https://incarnateword.in/dict/mppandit/intuition

https://incarnateword.in/dict/mppandit/soul

Edited by Coil

One might say that the idea that there is no religious impulse or instinct, is a failure of both imagination, and observation.

21 hours ago, Coil said:

The funny thing is that a person carries the spirit of God in himself,

Not necessarily funny, more peculiar. That requires firstly a definition of god, and then if it exists it can be found. So far we only find ordinary everyday matter made up of ordinary everyday atoms. Why is that?

which is his true Personality but the external person thinks that God and soul are fictitious and unimportant. This shows that on the material level, everything is opposite and far from the truth.

On what basis do you claim that? Who are you to judge which aspects of personality are "true"? If god amounts to personality than he most definitely is (for the most part) a social and cultural construct. We aren't born with a personality, it has to develop.

Your intuition has let you down because real intuition accurately knows that God is because it feels his presence as clearly as you feel and see the sun because it is itself derived from God.

So unless intuition aligns with your personal beliefs it isn't real intuition? That is simply a "no true Scotsman" fallacy.

I have heard of at least one person who "knows" that he has a real live squirrel living in his head because he feels its presence as surely as other people see and feel the sun. The fact that there is nothing else to verify this squirrel makes it more probably delusion. Et tu god?

• Like 1

deleted, as this was mistakenly posted in wrong thread...

Edited by quiXilver

9 hours ago, Habitat said:

If you actually did literally think you were seeing that "friend", then your parents were well justified.

I hear you and for the record, I wasn't. 

It was an allegorical story to exemplify a point.

Yet, fundamentalist religious thinking is on the verge of being an accepted and possibly treatable form of mental illness.

So perhaps some (not all) of religious thinking could also benefit from a visit to a mental health care practitioner... (assuming their paradigm is better, though, that's another ball game all-together).

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Sherapy said:

Hmmm, what do you mean?

yes, pretty much what Xeno said.

What many folks attribute to god... I consider an aspect of my own underlying awareness.

Really it's just differing names and manners of modeling what is an essentially identical process.

Some folks consider the arising impulses and instinctual responses as "god made me do this", or "god revealed this to me".  They sense a separate identity or entitiness to these impulses, insights and instincts.  I see them as natural aspects of my own awareness, just those that lie beneath the threshold of conscious interaction, most of the time.

this line blurs in deep meditational states, profound silence and stillness and now increasingly, in every day scenarios.

• Thanks 1

God and all gods are constructs. Created by individuals, by cultures. We basically create something that represents the unknown. The ancient gods were the embodiment's of natural forces, also things like fate, destiny. We turned ourselves into gods, made them more human. Something we can project ourselves into. Even the dualistic nature of ourselves became gods and devils. In a way it is just us trying to gain control of an unknown. 

• Like 2

In true religion, there is no "true religion".  If you wish to discern God, you must first give up the wish to discern God. Are you getting annoyed yet ? I thought you would be ! True religion is a work of inclusion, discernment is a work of exclusion. You cannot discern God, in the way you discern a rooftop through the mist. You must be the rooftop, and the mist, and all else !

• Like 1

On 10/23/2019 at 7:45 PM, and then said:

Not at ALL true.  You say you do not believe and exhibit a near militant attitude towards those who do.  That's the curious part of discussions like this with you.  You say you don't believe and I accept that so why the need to perpetually repeat it and even express anger along with the derision you have for those whose only "sin" is that they affront your beliefs? Live and let live, yeah?

Hypocrite, thats exactly what you do with Islam, Muslims.

You are an avid, passionate (and ignorant) Quran basher, while self righteously lamenting Bible bashers (who are just as ignorant).

Typical.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Coil said:

This is the situation. The intuitive mind is somewhere between the spiritual mind and the outer mind and it is bathed in the rays of truth but still has no complete truth. No one will prove it to scientists and everything will be verified by personal experience or drawn from the books of those people who have discovered all kinds minds.

Intuition:
https://incarnateword.in/dict/mppandit/intuition

https://incarnateword.in/dict/mppandit/soul

Thanks for the imaginationism links.

23 hours ago, Habitat said:

One might say that the idea that there is no religious impulse or instinct, is a failure of both imagination, and observation.

It's just what non-thinking evolution could not prepare for with an increasing in cognizance species when the basic drives have been replaced, and, or readily provided for.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Davros of Skaro said:

It's just what non-thinking evolution could not prepare for with an increasing in cognizance species when the basic drives have been replaced, and, or readily provided for.

Not getting your meaning, what are you saying ?

1 hour ago, Habitat said:

Not getting your meaning, what are you saying ?

You never will.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Davros of Skaro said:

You never will.

At least I speak English, rabbit. "prepare for with an increasing in cognizance species"

That isn't passable.

7 minutes ago, Habitat said:

At least I speak English, rabbit. "prepare for with an increasing in cognizance species"

That isn't passable.

Did you find out what bone on my body was broken, and how when I was 5 years old from your non-corporeal friend yet?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/26/2019 at 6:02 AM, quiXilver said:

I hear you and for the record, I wasn't. 

It was an allegorical story to exemplify a point.

Yet, fundamentalist religious thinking is on the verge of being an accepted and possibly treatable form of mental illness.

So perhaps some (not all) of religious thinking could also benefit from a visit to a mental health care practitioner... (assuming their paradigm is better, though, that's another ball game all-together).

Unlikely.

Religious belief is increasingly being  seen  as an evolved normative and constructive form of cognition, which is part of a suite of cognitive forms that promote the well being and survival of slef aware beings  (by meeting needs constructed by their self awareness such as an awareness of death and future pain and suffering ) 

In one sense, it is abnormal people who do not construct belief constructs about gods or similar, to improve their psychological well being. (and indeed about 90% of modern humans do hold such spiritual belief constructs) 

Perhaps those who cannot, or refuse to, construct belief forms, are those who need psychological help :)  

I hear that 86.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot...

Such a nice change in the breeze tonight.  Cold front moved in from the desert to the East and Summer has ended its resurgence.

Such bliss, to sit here, intrinsically connected read a few words and smile at the raw process of humans and worlds spinning.

It all seems so vastly important on this myopic scale. 

And yet... we're fleas, jumping about making squeaky sounds on a moist ball of molten stone, ricocheting about an utterly simple point of light in a sea of inky connected fluid ether.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Humans.  Very important to, other humans and seemingly so powerful, but only from one level of magnification.  

Change the level of perception and we're really just little bugsters on a pale blue dot.

Ranting about how much we know about the intricate workings of the universe, our world, and its creator, or the non-creator and how sure we are about the workings of our own bodies, which we can't keep from aging and dying... when our senses transmit less than 5% of what surrounds us, and of that 5%... 100% of it is interpreted by us via our social and familial conditioning.

On 10/26/2019 at 6:51 AM, Habitat said:

Now, parse that nonsense sentence you typed.

How about parsing random bits of trash found on the street, or what ever happens to be on the TV as signs of spirit communication.

• Like 1