Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Waves of Matsushima

OverSword

A photo image of the painting is a poor representative of the experience compared to seeing it standing in front of the painting ...

~

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a picture book of his work published by the Kodansha Library of Japanese Art edited by Ichimatsu Tanaka. His screens are awesome. Especially 'Tales of Genji'. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, third_eye said:

A photo image of the painting is a poor representative of the experience compared to seeing it standing in front of the painting ...

~

And yet you would never be allowed to get as close to the panels as the zoom on the linked page.  For example https://artsandculture.google.com/asset/self-portrait/-gHQe8vbiHn2xw

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, OverSword said:

And yet you would never be allowed to get as close to the panels as the zoom on the linked page

From my experience, you don't have to get in that close to see it in that detail to fully appreciate it, I've not seen one of those but I've seen many at art exhibitions to know the difference, the same applies to oils, the closer you get the less of the whole picture you experience. 

~

• Like 1

Very nice interactive presentation of that work.

I dearly appreciate the style and the skill...off the chart.

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, OverSword said:

Click the LINK and scroll

Cool!

I love Japanese mythology and their ancient artistry, something so..familiar (though the feeling is completely imaginary)

Anyways..thanks for the awesome link.

• Thanks 1