Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Emotional support dogs delay flight

Still Waters

French bulldogs wearing tutus have delayed a flight from Gatwick Airport.

A number of emotional support dogs were travelling in passengers' hand luggage on a Norwegian Air flight destined for Austin, Texas.

The Boeing 787 had been due to depart at 11:00 BST but was delayed by an hour and a half.

A spokesman for Norwegian Air said the captain decided to offload the "distressed" dogs and their owners.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-50170507

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I think a French Bulldog is too heavy to  carry in a carry on bag, but maybe they were puppies.  People don't have any common sense if they think the dogs would be ok on such a long flight.  Granted, I would not put my dogs in a kennel and ship them with the luggage either.  It would be better to just board them or find a dog sitter.  This "emotional support animal" business has run amok.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 4

Pictures on social media showed the dogs being carried in holdalls and wearing tutus.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-50170507

Emotional support??

Jeeze,  the owners do not need a dog,  they need a shrink!  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Emotional support??

I believe animals to be more beneficial to mental health than shrinks. 

I would hesitate to travel with a pet given potential discomforts to them, but some people are unable to travel without them. If the animal is okay with it, then fine. If the animal becomes distressed, then absolutely not. But the right precautions have to be taken. Far too many pets have perished during a flight.

3 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

I believe animals to be more beneficial to mental health than shrinks. 

I would hesitate to travel with a pet given potential discomforts to them, but some people are unable to travel without them. If the animal is okay with it, then fine. If the animal becomes distressed, then absolutely not. But the right precautions have to be taken. Far too many pets have perished during a flight.

I agree pets can be more beneficial,  but  owners who dress them in tutus and put them in a  bag to take them on a flight do not deserve to own a dog.

As we see in this article,  the dogs got distressed. 

Personally I think the owners here are selfish and I care more about the poor dogs welfare. The owners have a choice,  the poor dogs do not.

Tutus?  FFS! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

I agree pets can be more beneficial,  but  owners who dress them in tutus and put them in a  bag to take them on a flight do not deserve to own a dog.

As we see in this article,  the dogs got distressed. 

Personally I think the owners here are selfish and I care more about the poor dogs welfare. The owners have a choice,  the poor dogs do not.

Tutus?  FFS! 

I couldn't agree more. Animals do not belong in hand luggage, but in a proper travel carrier. As for clothing, animals should be dressed only for protection against the elements (booties, life jackets, etc.) and never for any other reason. Clothing is not only a potential hazard (fire, choking, etc.) it also causes a great deal of discomfort and stress.

• Like 2

We have a colloquialism down south for this kind of action:  RURNT.   I have to wonder just how much further this self-styled victimhood is going to go before the pendulum of public opinion swings back.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Emotional support??

If they really need such comfort just to travel then I feel for them but delaying an entire flight for that is wrong, IMO, unless all the other passengers agreed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, and then said:

If they really need such comfort just to travel then I feel for them but delaying an entire flight for that is wrong, IMO, unless all the other passengers agreed.

It seems to me that in this instance the animals were in more need of support than their owners were. 

Most people in true need of a support animal never treat them in such a manner.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

People abuse the system. Many people think that an emotional support animal is the same as a service animal. In most cases it’s not. 

• Like 3