Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
kyo_batsu

The Curse of Jechoniah

kyo_batsu

As the subject of the genealogy of Yeshua ben Yosef (henceforth referred to as Jesus, for convenience's sake) seems to be quite popular in this forum, I thought it would be interesting to present the following information to you.

I believe that the problem with saying that Jesus is of the line of David through his father Joseph is this: according to the Bible, God cursed an ancestor of Joseph's, Jechoniah, by saying that none of his line would ever sit on the throne of David.

(Please note: There are several different ways to spell the name 'Jechoniah'. such as Jehoiakhin and Coniah. So, when you see these names differ in the following quotes, please understand they are referring to the same individual.)

Let's look at the text:

Jeremiah 22:24 - 29 (KJV)

24 "As I live, says the LORD, though Coni'ah the son of Jehoi'akim, king of Judah, were the signet ring on my right hand, yet I would tear you off 25 and give you into the hand of those who seek your life, into the hand of those of whom you are afraid, even into the hand of Nebuchadrez'zar king of Babylon and into the hand of the Chalde'ans. 26 I will hurl you and the mother who bore you into another country, where you were not born, and there you shall die. 27 But to the land to which they will long to return, there they shall not return." 28 Is this man Coni'ah a despised, broken pot, a vessel no one cares for? Why are he and his children hurled and cast into a land which they do not know? 29 O land, land, land, hear the word of the LORD! 30 Thus says the LORD: "Write this man down as childless, a man who shall not succeed in his days; for none of his offspring shall succeed in sitting on the throne of David, and ruling again in Judah." 

Alright, is everyone still with me? Jeconiah has been cursed, and his descendants will never be of the line of David. (Being a descendant of the line of David, by the way, is one of the qualifications of being the Messiah.)

Now, let's look at Joseph's lineage, according to Matthew 1:

Matthew 1:11-16 (KJV)

11 and Josi'ah the father of Jechoni'ah and his brothers, at the time of the deportation to Babylon. 12 And after the deportation to Babylon: Jechoni'ah was the father of She-al'ti-el, and She-al'ti-el the father of Zerub'babel, 13 and Zerub'babel the father of Abi'ud, and Abi'ud the father of Eli'akim, and Eli'akim the father of Azor, 14 and Azor the father of Zadok, and Zadok the father of Achim, and Achim the father of Eli'ud, 15 and Eli'ud the father of Elea'zar, and Elea'zar the father of Matthan, and Matthan the father of Jacob, 16 and Jacob the father of Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom Jesus was born, who is called Christ. 

If, as the author of the Book of Matthew claims, Jechoniah was one of Joseph's ancestors, then there is no way any of Joseph's descendants (divine or otherwise) could claim to be the Messiah.

Your thoughts?