Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Your oh hell no food combo?

rashore

I just started a thread about must have food combos. Along with that comes the oh hell no combos..

Many folks bicker about what is acceptable or not on pizza.. My grandma packed me off lunches of a thermos of hot chicken noodle soup with a PBJ sandwich and another cold thermos of OJ. And a couple of coins for milk... I traded off my OJ for more milk, lol.

So what is on your list of food that is oh hell no combo?

• Like 4

Tomato anything on any kind of fish.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Tomato anything on any kind of fish.

You never had any of my seafood tomato sauces. :yes:

• Like 1

Anything with cilantro..... Stuff makes everything taste like dish soap. :unsure2:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Just now, Piney said:

Anything with cilantro..... Stuff makes everything taste like dish soap. :unsure2:

To people with the wrong genes.  To the rest of us cilantro is delicious.

• Haha 5

4 minutes ago, Piney said:

I forgot about cilantro. It is good  for mulch.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, OverSword said:

To people with the wrong genes.  To the rest of us cilantro is delicious.

My daughter and I were just talking about that yesterday.  I don't know if maybe we have the good genes with taste buds that work and everyone else has the defective genes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

My daughter and I were just talking about that yesterday.  I don't know if maybe we have the good genes with taste buds that work and everyone else has the defective genes.

Easily resolved.  Smell is a major part of taste and cilantro smells good.

8 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

We have the good genes...

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/why-does-cilantro-taste-bad-like-soap_n_7653808

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

Only to you people with weak noses......smells like soap to me.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Not to me.  And I love the smell of coffee but I think it tastes nasty.  So smell is subjective as well.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Piney said:

It's an acquired taste kinda like nopales.  I used to turn my nose up at it as a kid but as I got older and the local Mexican restaurants stopped asking if anyone wanted it on their tacos, it kinda grew on me.  Now, I can have lengua (cow tongue) and trompa (pig snout) tacos with cilantro and it's great!

2 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Not to me.  And I love the smell of coffee but I think it tastes nasty.  So smell is subjective as well.

You too actually.  People who have lost their sense of smell through illness or injury also lose their sense of taste.

1 minute ago, Mantis914 said:

It's an acquired taste kinda like nopales.

I always liked prickly pear.......just not that nasty weed that taste like dish soap. :o

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Piney said:

I always liked prickly pear.......just not that nasty weed that taste like dish soap. :o

Me too.  We have a huge prickley pear cactus in the yard and I have made jelly with the fruit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Piney said:

My mother is a prickly pear addict. I buy them for her and spend the rest of the day pulling out those near invisible thorns from my fingers.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, OverSword said:

You too actually.  People who have lost their sense of smell through illness or injury also lose their sense of taste.

My father used to say that because I have a very poor sense of smell.  It has to be very strong and right under my nose (think gasoline strong) for me to detect it.  I still have my favorite things that I like to eat because the taste is pleasing, however, that is true to a degree.  I could never judge a food contest or be a first class chef as a lot of the things that I like are deemed bland by everyone else even though I also like spicy food especially really spicy.  How come you don't like spicy food, Kittens?

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Piney said:

Cilantro hurts my tummy.

• Thanks 2

Pickling liquid and herring are two things that do not go together yet my father used to love picked herring. 

Jell-o and meats or fish. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SecretSanta said:

Pickling liquid and herring are two things that do not go together yet my father used to love picked herring. 

Jell-o and meats or fish. 

Green Jello with left over mixed vegetables.  That was one dish I never got used to when I was in the army, especially because people actually ate it.

• Like 2

Apples and Cheese. 
Peanut Butter and Celery 

• Sad 1

Just now, Scholar4Truth said:

Apples and Cheese. 
Peanut Butter and Celery 

Those are two of the standard bed time snacks my kids ate when they were little.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scholar4Truth said:

Apples and Cheese. 
Peanut Butter and Celery 

I like apples and peanut butter. Never tried celery with peanut butter, doesn’t seem appealing to me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mantis914 said:

It's an acquired taste kinda like nopales.  I used to turn my nose up at it as a kid but as I got older and the local Mexican restaurants stopped asking if anyone wanted it on their tacos, it kinda grew on me.  Now, I can have lengua (cow tongue) and trompa (pig snout) tacos with cilantro and it's great!

Reminds me of an episode of ALL IN THE FAMILY.  Archie turns his nose up at beef tongue, says "I don't eat anything that comes out of the mouth of a cow.  Edith, bring me some burled eggs :w00t:

Edited by and then
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1