Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Clapping Banned at Oxford University.

Scholar4Truth

What about those who become anxious of many people waving?   :lol:

• Haha 2

**** that.  I would clap my ass off at every function.

The type of people who are sensitive to clapping would never show up where there was a gathering of people so they are in this case a tool used to bully people and force conformity in the name of  (fake) compassion.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Well, that was heart warming.:tu:

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Great example of how it should be handled.  Not a blanket rule but a case by very rare case basis.  Thanks! :tu:

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 4

Of course the (racist) origin of jazz hands is the old minstrel shows, and a large room full of people jazz handing is way more disturbing and unsettling than applause but who's keeping score?

• Like 1

It ultimately boils down to a question of who should be accommodating whom – and if it's to avoid distressing people with autism and others with heightened auditory sensitivity, I'm good with that. Public events should be accessible to all people. Don't see what the big deal is and, quite frankly, I'm beginning to wonder who the real snowflakes are. 

32 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

It ultimately boils down to a question of who should be accommodating whom – and if it's to avoid distressing people with autism and others with heightened auditory sensitivity, I'm good with that. Public events should be accessible to all people. Don't see what the big deal is and, quite frankly, I'm beginning to wonder who the real snowflakes are. 

I don't think it's a case of snowflakes, I think it's a case of tyrants.  Notably people with heightened auditory sensitivity will avoid crowds and banning clapping will not keep a crowd quiet.  Go somewhere where someone is talking and others will almost always be trying to talk over them.  This rule, imo is about asserting control not about being sensitive.  What should be allowed for are not the rare but the regular, the normal, the historically acceptable since the beginning of recorded time, not making the majority subservient to the minority.  There is nothing wrong or immoral about clapping 99% of the time so it should be expected 99% of the time.

edit:  As we speak there is a gathering of a Seattle Executive organization being hosted by my office.  There are about 15 people in the next room all talking at once.  Should I go in and ban them?

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, XenoFish said:

Our future does not look bright at all.

It only looks bad for the lightweights who can't stand to see their own shadows.  When the pendulum starts to swing back the whole mindset will change quick enough.  PC lives only as long as people support it.  When enough say - To hell with THIS -  that'll be the end of it.  It started as a movement to expand mannerly behavior and now we are approaching the threshold of people being incarcerated for breaking these infantile rules.  

43 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Yes, they should be accessible to all.  The tyranny of the minority is what we see happening more and more though.  All it takes is a couple of people out of hundreds or even thousands to complain and the program gets changed, often dramatically, to suit the few.  I wonder how we survived all those decades prior to this "enlightened" behavior?  

• Like 1

Some folks, it seems, just enjoy and look for instances and things with which to be outraged... that evidently, is 'their thing'.

55 minutes ago, and then said:

Yes, they should be accessible to all.  The tyranny of the minority is what we see happening more and more though.  All it takes is a couple of people out of hundreds or even thousands to complain and the program gets changed, often dramatically, to suit the few.  I wonder how we survived all those decades prior to this "enlightened" behavior?  

I view it differently.

Certain scents can trigger seizures, and for this reason hospitals, medical clinics and various other public places are scent free. Should we rant and rave about the tyrannical minority, or should we respect the well-being of people with epilepsy? Fireworks are known to trigger PTSD among veterans and distress in animals. Should we rant and rave about the tyrannical minority now that fireworks are being designed to be as silent as possible, or should we respect the well-being of combat veterans and adorable beagle puppies? 

Like it or not, the health and well-being of people takes precedence. You and others here might disagree, but I personally would prefer compassion over cruelty, even if it means giving up things that in the overall scheme of things are really of no consequence.

5 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

I view it differently.

Certain scents can trigger seizures, and for this reason hospitals, medical clinics and various other public places are scent free. Should we rant and rave about the tyrannical minority, or should we respect the well-being of people with epilepsy? Fireworks are known to trigger PTSD among veterans and distress in animals. Should we rant and rave about the tyrannical minority now that fireworks are being designed to be as silent as possible, or should we respect the well-being of combat veterans and adorable beagle puppies? 

Like it or not, the health and well-being of people takes precedence. You and others here might disagree, but I personally would prefer compassion over cruelty, even if it means giving up things that in the overall scheme of things are really of no consequence.

Moderation in all things is acceptable, desirable.  The recent push to force change in the public square usually isn't about the moderate requests you speak of.  It's just a tyranny of a vocal minority that forces the majority to get in line or get out.  There's nothing moderate about this situation.  It's the will of a minority being forced on everyone and it's happening so often now that there will eventually be a backlash.  Those two-way streets are actually supposed to be for BOTH sides in public discourse.

Just now, and then said:

Moderation in all things is acceptable, desirable.  The recent push to force change in the public square usually isn't about the moderate requests you speak of.  It's just a tyranny of a vocal minority that forces the majority to get in line or get out.  There's nothing moderate about this situation.  It's the will of a minority being forced on everyone and it's happening so often now that there will eventually be a backlash.  Those two-way streets are actually supposed to be for BOTH sides in public discourse.

The will of the minority to protect a vulnerable minority should be the will of the majority, and to be perfectly honest, I am gobsmacked that it isn't.

6 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

But the hand waving though. It just occurred to me that it wouldn't be a good solution for blind people.

Rats. 

Just wave .... but in brail 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Matt221 said:

Just wave .... but in brail 

"Why did you punch me in the face?"

"I just waved to you...in braille."

• Haha 1