Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hunter gored by deer he thought shot dead

Still Waters

An experienced Arkansas hunter was found severely injured in the woods Tuesday night, his body riddled with antler puncture wounds. He later died.

The 66-year-old man from Yellville had shot a deer, and made plans with his nephew to field dress the deer's body together, police told CNN.

When his nephew found him, the hunter was alert and talking, and was even able to call his wife. But he stopped breathing by the time paramedics could get him to the hospital, the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said.

Officials are not certain that the antler wounds are the official cause of his death, the commission said in a statement. He may have died from other medical issues such as a heart attack, the statement said, but there will be no autopsy.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/10/24/us/arkansas-deer-death-trnd/index.html

https://www.news.com.au/world/south-america/hunter-killed-by-the-deer-he-thought-hed-just-shot-dead/news-story/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Zombie deer? 

Dummy hunter. :yes:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Hunters are being warned to be aware of deer with TB also. 

33 minutes ago, Matt221 said:

Deers are dangerous buggas especially during the rutting season. 

This just happened 3 days ago. Deer getting into businesses and homes is a common occurrence around here. They've run through nursing homes and downtown streets. You see them lying on the sides of roads all the time where they've been hit. I know several people who had deer jump out and hit the side of their cars. One had a deer come through the windshield. 

https://wnep.com/2019/10/22/watch-out-for-deer-during-peak-of-the-rut/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We only get them little muntjac about here but they come in the garden then the dogs go crazy till I scare the deers away but even they stand there ground somtimes they don't have antlers but they got big old tusks that can do some serious damage. just across the river are some of the other bigger deer 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, susieice said:

Hunters are being warned to be aware of deer with TB also. 

This just happened 3 days ago. Deer getting into businesses and homes is a common occurrence around here. They've run through nursing homes and downtown streets. You see them lying on the sides of roads all the time where they've been hit. I know several people who had deer jump out and hit the side of their cars. One had a deer come through the windshield. 

https://wnep.com/2019/10/22/watch-out-for-deer-during-peak-of-the-rut/

Two weeks ago when I was driving north to visit cousins I saw an elk dead on the road and the car that hit it was damaged so badly the driver was stuck.  When I drove by the state police were on the scene.  I didn't see if the driver was hurt, but that car was probably on it's way to the junk yard.  It was sad about the elk.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Two weeks ago when I was driving north to visit cousins I saw an elk dead on the road and the car that hit it was damaged so badly the driver was stuck.  When I drove by the state police were on the scene.  I didn't see if the driver was hurt, but that car was probably on it's way to the junk yard.  It was sad about the elk.

Sounds like the driver may have been on his way to the hospital. Feel sorry for him too.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, susieice said:

Sounds like the driver may have been on his way to the hospital. Feel sorry for him too.

Yes, me too. 

Arkansas hunter dies after being attacked by deer he thought was dead

In what officials are calling a bizarre incident, an Arkansas hunter was killed by a deer that he thought he had shot dead. Thomas Alexander, 66, was hunting deer near Yellville on Tuesday night when he believed he had successfully shot a deer, officials said. Alexander, who lived in the area and was an experienced hunter, was sitting in an elevated deer stand during the state's muzzleloader season, Keith Stephens, chief of communications with the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission, told ABC News. After going down to check on his "kill," Alexander soon discovered that the animal was in fact not dead.

Read more: https://abcnews.go.com/US/arkansas-hunter-dies-attacked-deer-thought-dead/story?id=66504417

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Piney said:

@Still Waters already posted this. :tu:

Thanks for the heads up Piney, hopefully one of the mods will catch it and delete/combine the thread.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, MissJatti said:

No, deer korma in coconut milk. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Piney said:

Dummy hunter. :yes:

If not a clean shot then at least put it outta its misery with a second shot. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A girl in a neighboring town was just hit by a deer as she was trick or treating last night. Doesn't say how bad she was hurt.

https://www.wfmz.com/news/area/lehighvalley/girl-hurt-after-being-hit-by-running-deer-in-northampton/article_c36cee4a-f786-11e9-a71a-9700e684fb9d.html?fbclid=IwAR22ubWXVikgmWRsjksNw3elDgPRVVt1tRjak6Oj3sTyTiQnnR2i4tL9bwY

Just saw some comments from people who were there. The Fire and Police Depts were passing out hot dogs and hot chocolate to trick or treaters last night when the deer ran out of a field and into the parking lot. They say it ran into a woman holding a baby. The woman has several broken ribs but the baby is alright.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, susieice said:

A girl in a neighboring town was just hit by a deer as she was trick or treating last night. Doesn't say how bad she was hurt.

https://www.wfmz.com/news/area/lehighvalley/girl-hurt-after-being-hit-by-running-deer-in-northampton/article_c36cee4a-f786-11e9-a71a-9700e684fb9d.html?fbclid=IwAR22ubWXVikgmWRsjksNw3elDgPRVVt1tRjak6Oj3sTyTiQnnR2i4tL9bwY

Just saw some comments from people who were there. The Fire and Police Depts were passing out hot dogs and hot chocolate to trick or treaters last night when the deer ran out of a field and into the parking lot. They say it ran into a woman holding a baby. The woman has several broken ribs but the baby is alright.

Could have been blinded and panicked from fireworks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

Could have been blinded and panicked from fireworks.

No fireworks around here during Halloween. I don't know. It may have run out because it didn't realize people were there. There's a huge deer population in this area. The whole state really. I posted earlier in the thread about the deer that got into a shop in another town near here a couple of days ago. Pennsylvania ranks 3rd in the country for animal collisions. We have a lot of wildlife. We don't all live in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. We're predominately rural and wooded. A lot of mountains. Even Philly had a bear in it this summer. We see them a lot up my way.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 3

On 10/25/2019 at 8:32 PM, Still Waters said:

An experienced Arkansas hunter was found severely injured in the woods Tuesday night, his body riddled with antler puncture wounds. He later died.

The 66-year-old man from Yellville had shot a deer, and made plans with his nephew to field dress the deer's body together, police told CNN.

When his nephew found him, the hunter was alert and talking, and was even able to call his wife. But he stopped breathing by the time paramedics could get him to the hospital, the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said.

Officials are not certain that the antler wounds are the official cause of his death, the commission said in a statement. He may have died from other medical issues such as a heart attack, the statement said, but there will be no autopsy.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/10/24/us/arkansas-deer-death-trnd/index.html

https://www.news.com.au/world/south-america/hunter-killed-by-the-deer-he-thought-hed-just-shot-dead/news-story/

It's really sad the gentleman die, but you just never know when Bambi will attack.:w00t:

On 10/26/2019 at 4:28 AM, Desertrat56 said:

Back in the 1980s, I saw a guy that got killed by hitting a Deer, the dam thing came through the windshield and the Antlers pinned him to his seat. Now that was some real bad luck.

8 hours ago, Manwon Lender said:

Back in the 1980s, I saw a guy that got killed by hitting a Deer, the dam thing came through the windshield and the Antlers pinned him to his seat. Now that was some real bad luck.

Oh my.