Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Not Your Huckleberry

More Cheesecake Talk

Recommended Posts

Not Your Huckleberry

Alright, so I've recently moved to another department. They were excited to have me and threw a lunch party for me; I feel so appreciated at this job. 

As a token of my appreciation, I'd like to bake a few cheesecakes for the department. If you were trying to please a wide variety of taste buds, what would you choose? I don't want to do just plain Jane, I want something with a slight bit of flair. New York style with lemon zest? Pumpkin? Oreo? Berry compote? 

I need some input here. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Not A Rockstar

Lemon might be nice, or go over the top with a chocolate cheesecake with cherry compote :)  Given T day is ahead, the pumpkin might be nice, too.

Really though a good New York style with maybe a couple choices for fruit compote might suit them all.

Problem with the chocolate is that every single function in future will result in demands for you to make more of those lol. That was my experience anyway with mine. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not Your Huckleberry

Lemon raspberry keeps popping in my head, but that comes across as warmer weather. I dunno; maybe, maybe not. Thanksgiving, which I'll hopefully have off work AND it's my birthday, will likely be something a little more fancy. I'm wanting to find a way to incorporate my Thanksgiving favorite, pecan pie, with cheesecake. 

Welcoming other opinions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
4 hours ago, Not Your Huckleberry said:

Alright, so I've recently moved to another department. They were excited to have me and threw a lunch party for me; I feel so appreciated at this job. 

As a token of my appreciation, I'd like to bake a few cheesecakes for the department. If you were trying to please a wide variety of taste buds, what would you choose? I don't want to do just plain Jane, I want something with a slight bit of flair. New York style with lemon zest? Pumpkin? Oreo? Berry compote? 

I need some input here. 

Since it is October do two, one plain with different jams to put on for those who like, and one pumpkin.  Some people do like just plain cheesecake.

Edited by Desertrat56

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
freetoroam
4 hours ago, Not Your Huckleberry said:

If you were trying to please a wide variety of taste buds, what would you choose? 

Go to Greggs, they do a reasonably priced deal,  but to really impress and if you have the money,  Marks and Spencers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not Your Huckleberry

No way I'd have someone else make it for me. Plus, we don't have those places here. 

Cheesecake is easy as pie. Is it actually a pie? Hell, I don't know. 

I want to put my personality into this the way they did for me. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not Your Huckleberry

I've decided on just a plain Jane, rich and dense NY Style with lemon zest. The cheesecake is literally as basic as you get and you can't ask for much better. This is what I'll present then with this time, anyway. Closer to the holidays, things might start getting fancy. 

He's my 'You'd Have To Be Stupid to Screw This Up' Cheesecake. 

1lb cream cheese, 3/4 cup powdered sugar; combine. Beat in three eggs previously whisked. One tablespoon flour and a tablespoon of vanilla extract. Grease a springform pan with butter, pour everything in. 360 degrees for 35-40 minutes. Let sit, chill, serve. 

This is bare bones. Notice not even any butter and powdered sugar instead of regular. Start with this, then add what you want as you get better at it. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not A Rockstar
5 hours ago, Not Your Huckleberry said:

Lemon raspberry keeps popping in my head, but that comes across as warmer weather. I dunno; maybe, maybe not. Thanksgiving, which I'll hopefully have off work AND it's my birthday, will likely be something a little more fancy. I'm wanting to find a way to incorporate my Thanksgiving favorite, pecan pie, with cheesecake. 

Welcoming other opinions. 

I am pondering this notion of a pecan pie cheesecake. So far I am thinking to powder up pecans into the shell. This is a fun idea :). I will ponder some more.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
third_eye
5 hours ago, Not Your Huckleberry said:

I want to put my personality into this the way they did for me. 

Don't overdo it, anything in the range of "it's the thought that counts" will be fine, wear something nice with a big smile... 

~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Not Your Huckleberry

OK, I retried this recipe in my new house, with admittedly budget ingredients, and it was a failure. It was more of a souffle than a cheesecake. Note that I never said I didn't still eat it. 

Maybe less eggs? No flour? More sugar? Honestly, I don't know. I might retry tonight but need advice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rashore

It might be you incorporated too much air when you were mixing, that's the most common reason for cheesecake puffing. Also, might be the use of just whole eggs instead of whole eggs and yolks- whites tend to hold air and spring more. Three eggs for a pound of cheese sounds like a lot too- I use a recipe that calls for 5 pounds of cheese, 5 eggs, and 2 yolks, so the cheese and egg ratio is very different than what you use. It might also be the whisking your eggs then adding them all in- I add in unwhisked, first 2, then one at a time till incorporated. Make sure you creme together everything but the eggs, and then add in the eggs last.

You didn't say, but make sure all ingredients are room temp before you start. Cold ingredients don't come together as smoothly, and you can end up overmixing because of it.

Yes, you want some flour in there, but not a lot. Check your powdered sugar- it might contain corn starch, and that can have an impact. Also, if the original recipe called for granulated sugar and you are opting to use powdered, you need to measure by weight instead of volume or your sugar ratio can be off. Powdered and granulated sugar can hydrate a bit differently in the batter. You have a lot of sugar there too, I use 1 3/4c granulated for 5 pounds cheese, and you are using 3/4c powdered for 1 pound of cheese.

And since it's a new house- have you calibrated or tested the oven for temp? If your oven is off, that can have an effect on how the cake bakes. Also if it's convection and you aren't used to that yet, that could make a difference too. Using a steam bath or not can have an impact as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desertrat56
4 hours ago, Not Your Huckleberry said:

OK, I retried this recipe in my new house, with admittedly budget ingredients, and it was a failure. It was more of a souffle than a cheesecake. Note that I never said I didn't still eat it. 

Maybe less eggs? No flour? More sugar? Honestly, I don't know. I might retry tonight but need advice. 

I have a recipe that uses 2 eggs and 16 oz of cream cheese, not flour, 1 cup sugar.  Maybe that will help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Not Your Huckleberry

I think I'll give it a go. This particular recipe worked amazingly well before. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.